Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair thriving in this economic downturn...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But we all agree Avantair is better than NetJets...right?

... Pride is nothing that needs to be debated over. I think we're the best and you think your the best. What do you think that kinda attitude will give your customers? A very good product.

I agree with BF -- to a point. There's also a lot of similar rivalry in AF fighter wings. I got pretty tired of it there, too, but it didn't bother my husband. Friendly competition, he explained, can be a good thing. So I think it's OK --- when it doesn't overshadow the community spirit. After all, no one likes a braggart and over-the-line comments just end up reflecting badly on the "exalted" company. Balance is a good thing!
Regards,
NJW

Is it just me alone thinking that Avantairowner is a fake? If you are truly an Avantair owner, then...Congrats. Despite your constant run-on sentences, grammatical errors, and generally 8th grade writing, you have made something for yourself.

Whatever business you might be running, I sure hope that you'd have more creativity than your posts indicate on this board. The name alone: Avantairowner vs NJAowner, come-on! And you are defensive on every post, can't run a business with that mentality now!

You are quite observant, which must be one of your many qualities that propel you to success. I have yet to encounter a single owner notice what my actual fuel burn vs. planned fuel burn/ and or fuel saving, for that matter. Yet you notice a 300 gallons saving on your flight! Only a PILOT notice that sort of thing.

Its kinda fishy looking at his join date.

MANIAC: Suffice it to say that Avantair is continuing to grow, and has taken zero steps to reduce pilot numbers, in any way, voluntary or otherwise.

ME: Please explain to the world how Avantair has done ZERO to reduce the number of pilots it needs.....when they are currently in the process of reducing the plane/pilot ratio from 4.2 pilots per plane down to 3.8 pilots per plane? Seems like a reduction in pilots to me!

MANIAC: Suffice it to say that Avantair is continuing to grow, and has taken zero steps to reduce pilot numbers, in any way, voluntary or otherwise.

ME: Please explain to the world how Avantair has done ZERO to reduce the number of pilots it needs.....when they are currently in the process of reducing the plane/pilot ratio from 4.2 pilots per plane down to 3.8 pilots per plane? Seems like a reduction in pilots to me!

As I sit here revising my cousin's resume (she's trying to snag a f/a position), I just got the e-mail notice of your post. Thought I'd shoot off a quick reply...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but the change in the pilots/plane ratio is a win/win for everybody. For the company it's a win because the airplanes are staffed with fewer numbers of pilots (therefore, there's a lower cost to the company in terms of insurance, benefits, etc.). For the pilots it's also a win because the amount of available overtime goes up, too. I do LOTS of overtime, so it's a big win for me on a personal level. Maybe I'll just let mainiac address your post, since it was kind of directed to him anyway.

Does anyone know how to help my cousin get a job as a frac f/a? Or which companies might be recruiting right now? Thanks in advance.

If we don't hire any pilots but increase the net number of airplanes, our pilot to plane ratio decreases. And of course, angry, openly disgruntled pilots leaving the ranks helps (in more ways than one).

As usual, Kyle is putting the most negative spin on this as he possibly can. Is anyone surprised by this?

Here's the reality - a few years ago, we fought for and got the 7/7 schedule that we wanted. Part of that process meant increasing the pilot/aircraft ratio. When we got our ratio where it needed to be for everyone to have a 7/7 schedule there was no OT available for those who wanted it.

Fast forward a couple of years and the economy takes a nasty turn and we now needed to find ways to conserve money. Management and the PAC looked at many options, including going to a 8/6 schedule. It was decided that reducing the pilot/aircraft ratio would solve two problems: 1) save money and 2) make OT available to those who want it without changing the schedule to 8/6, forcing pay cuts or furloughing pilots. It's a win-win for eveyone.

Truthfully, I haven't heard people who actually work here complain about the changes in the pilot/aircraft ratio. I've gotten OT when I wanted it and have not been forced into OT when I didn't want it and that's the same story that I hear from other people when we do talk about the schedule.

In these economic times, many companies have been forced to take drastic measures to save money. I feel fortunate that we are able to make adjustments that keep us afloat without having to furlough pilots. It pains me to see other companies doing just that - many of my friends are looking for jobs or have gone offshore to support their families. So, overall, I'd say the reduction of the pilot ratio without anyone losing their job turned out to be a good thing.

Just to re-iterate what Geronimo said:

The company took more airplanes, and didn't hire anyone new during this time period, so the ratio has dropped, not the total number. (Oh, I guess since BTDI quit, the total# really has dropped)

Still can't figure why I'm online during vacation, except to say:
Summer hasn't arrived yet in Maine! Unbelievable streak of cool weather, had the heat on out at the lake house today!
:(

Latest resources

Back