• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair pay cut vacay elimination

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stock down another 24% today after financials from past years have to be restated. market cap is at $8 Mil. ouch.......

I want to unionize EVERY pilot... period. If it were up to me, we'd have a professional guild and nobody would be able to work without a card... we'd get rid of ALPA, and all the other separate union groups and all fall under one group. Then we'd have true power to set wages, work conditions and safety policies across the board evenly and take the labor portion out of the competitive equation. Much like the trade unions of days gone by.

Unions have on many occasions saved their air carrier from idiotic management.. After all, we usually have a lot more vested in our employment than the revolving door CEO's..

Let's posit this: your national union has been successful in pushing salaries and working conditions to a high level. How would you deal with all the pilots who want a job and are willing to work for less?

I want to unionize EVERY pilot... period. If it were up to me, we'd have a professional guild and nobody would be able to work without a card... we'd get rid of ALPA, and all the other separate union groups and all fall under one group. Then we'd have true power to set wages, work conditions and safety policies across the board evenly and take the labor portion out of the competitive equation. Much like the trade unions of days gone by.

Unions have on many occasions saved their air carrier from idiotic management.. After all, we usually have a lot more vested in our employment than the revolving door CEO's..

And because your union has been successful in driving up pay and benefits, there will be an increase in supply of pilots as more are attracted to the industry, resulting in more unemployed pilots trying to get those higher paying jobs. How will this union fight off this oversupply of pilots caused by the union's successful activities? And then, because the cost of staffing pilots has gone up, companies will gradually decrease the numbers employed as consumers react to the increased cost of air travel by flying less, further increasing the supply of unemployed pilots. Therefore, the union has caused an oversupply of pilots and a decrease of pilot jobs, by creating a non-free market upward coercive force helping pilots make more money. Oops! The Law of Unintended Consequences has struck again!

What I DO like about your National Union idea is it has good intentions, and you obviously thought about it a lot. Kudos for that. I am enjoying this conversation, and you have not called me a lying scumsucking scoundrel and made observations about my urinating habits, for which I commend you! :)

how many times will you fly on a plane compared to how many times you'll have open heart surgery.

Flying should be very expensive for sure.

Let's posit this: your national union has been successful in pushing salaries and working conditions to a high level. How would you deal with all the pilots who want a job and are willing to work for less?

G4dude, you have some good ideas about business that I agree with, but on this I disagree. Pilots need unions to provide a balance in the management/labor relationship. If there is not enough balance, the stronger side will abuse the weaker side. Unions provide some balance in that relationship and are therefore required. History has proven this many times and its not just about income. With this comes responsibility that no one side should abuse their position, but I don't want to get into a long conversation about that on the forum.

To answer your question, there will always be pilots who want to work for less. I haven't taken a poll but I would say these are the less qualified (or un-qualified for various reasons) pilots.

Why aren't more people complaining about how high management's salaries are?

Last edited:
You know, it is very sad and almost brings me to tears hearing off the cuff comments about CEO pay and incompetence on these boards. Does anyone have any facts about how much the CEO of any of the fractional companies make, except for the one mentioned in this thread?

The burdens of being in mgmt are never ending. There isn’t so many days on and so many days off. They take their work home with them 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They have to worry about all the employees and have to spend a lot of time with a small group of ding dongs that are unemployable outside the aviation industry.

If you think you can do a better job, get into mgmt.

Most executives in aviation are drastically underpaid compared to their counterparts in other industries and that is why we can’ attract talent that may make a difference.

For Christ’s sake, a lousy $500K a year is nothing. You can’t even afford a Bentley on this minimum wage.

People should start thanking their lucky stars for having anybody to work in these positions at all. Keep in mind mgmt is selected by the real stakeholders in the company, the shareholders.

The burdens of being in mgmt are never ending. There isn’t so many days on and so many days off. They take their work home with them 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They have to worry about all the employees and have to spend a lot of time with a small group of ding dongs that are unemployable outside the aviation industry.

....and some even have to balance all of that with insider trading deals. It can be rough!

Latest resources

Back