automatic checkride busts - your opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hense the 'minus 20' callout.

Never heard of a "minus anything" call out in any plane I have trained on...

What do they rec'd?

I hope not discussing what the light/situation is?...I have heard some odd stuff at training centers, like aborting at V1-1kt for a screen failure...not happening on most runways we use. Common sense applies - 12K runway or 4K runway? They said it didn't matter...:confused:

Its all in the brief, get everyone on the same page.

I imagine that there are more busts on the oral than on the flight portion. That's the way it used to be when I was a '135 check airman back in the dark ages.
The flight portion is pretty black and white compared to the maze that the oral can become.

I'm a firm believe of anybody desirous of an upgrade, whether to PIC or an initial type rating, perform a raw data ILS approach to MAP. Maximum deviation allowed is one dot from center as long as the applicant starts an immediate correction.

In training? Sure. On the checkride? I don't think I'm such a big fan. The PTS does give the examiner the discretion to make the applicant do a raw data ILS, but IMHO (and MHO only) the examiner had better be able to justify the reason as to why the applicant all of a sudden lost his flight director.

In training? Sure. On the checkride? I don't think I'm such a big fan. The PTS does give the examiner the discretion to make the applicant do a raw data ILS, but IMHO (and MHO only) the examiner had better be able to justify the reason as to why the applicant all of a sudden lost his flight director.

Depends on the MMEL, and the limitiations that come with the deferred item. If it is in the MMEL it is fair game. If your 'time in type' is long enough sooner or later you will see the defer.

Most 'type' rides are given following the completion of of an 'approved training program', be it a 121 or 135 air carrier program or a 142 school such as FSI. The rules governing those programs allow the designee to give credit for some items in the Practical Test Standards if they are documented in the training program. Most do so.

Long and short of it is the PTS tells both the applicant and the examiner what constitutes a 'failure'. If you are completeing an approved program - pay attention and you will do fine.

Haven given many check rides, both military and civilian. My biggest problem is with a PIC who is not the Captain, does not take charge of the cockpit, does not use or properly direct his crew. The guy flies by standards, but is always behind the airplane. They seem surprised by what will happen next. Like on a NPA, the configuration call of "Gear Down, Flaps 25, final item" shoud be done about two miles from the FAF, but this guy calls for it just before getting to the FAF, doesn't bust stds, but is working his butt off to stablize due to late configuration.. BTW Just a tip I give to trainees' the ATP stds for flying at MDA are -0 +100', fly a +50' over MDA, it gives you fudge room and is within stds. I have seen too many pilots who try to fly at +0, it just makes it much easier to bust.

Last edited:
Runaway stab trim after v1 but prior to vr on a 12,000' runway with a balanced field of 3500'?

No clear cut answer on that .... but if any examier would give you that senerio he/she is a total a-hole.
It depends. If your GOM says you will go post V1 (if the aircraft is capable of flight) then you go. Runway length is irrelevant. Stick to your SOP then there is no chance for any mis-understanding.

Last edited:
It depends. If your GOM says you will go post V1 (if the aircraft is capable of flight) then you go. Runway length is irrelevant. Stick to your SOP then there is no chance for any mis-understanding.
That is approaching loss of control, which is an emergency, use emergency authority do what you need to save the situation. How about both engines flame out at Vr? Worry about CYA after the fact. SOP is for normal procedures.

Latest resources

Back