• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
RE: Captain upgrade

Just getting a feel for what you guys consider "automatic checkride busts." This came up as a hangar discussion at our place a few days ago.

We agreed these were automatic, no-choice-but-fail items

1. Incorrect turn on Missed Approach
2. Exceeding a limitation and not immediately recognizing/correcting
3. Stall RECOVERY - improper/sloppy

some banter/non consensus occurred on

cockpit organization, charts, etc
stall entry (knowing the profile by memory or being able to use cheat sheet)

comments ?

Read the ATP PTS ... Fly outside of those standards and examiner may bust you. Simple as that.

Anything outside of the PTS is subjective and you could have a reason to contest. Just fly the airplane the way the sim center teaches and you will be fine. If you are not going to the sim and you are doing an in-house type ... just do it how the instructor teaches you. If will satisfy the FAA ...

When in doubt, follow the ATP PTS.

I'd have crashing the aircraft rather high on the list. :p

Okay, okay I'll get serious.

What you have is pretty good, I'd add a few things.

As we are all human and will make mistakes, any applicant for upgrade can be expected to make a mistake and allowances should be made for such mistakes if they are minor, unless the applicant argues. Then that is a bust.

Improper joining of a holding pattern and refusal to acknowledge such. That would be a bust.

I'm a firm believe of anybody desirous of an upgrade, whether to PIC or an initial type rating, perform a raw data ILS approach to MAP. Maximum deviation allowed is one dot from center as long as the applicant starts an immediate correction.

Other than that, use your training/recurrency school standards.

Having done part 121 checks ( not type rides) for about three years, I'd can't think of anything that was an automatic bust except for a red screen simulator and depending on the type of check, that wasn't always a bust, but they usually didn't go well from there. A check airman is representing the FAA, so the PTS should be the standard to follow. Stay in it's parameter and follows your companies procedures and you won't have a problem.

Aborting above V1

Remember now, V1 is not a "catch-all" decision speed. It's a decision speed calculated on the loss of 1 engine thrust only. It assumes that all other systems are working properly. Like G100 said, if you find that for any reason after V1 the aircraft won't fly, ie. elevator cable broke, forward trim runaway, ground spoiler deployment, ect., it's time to become a human again and determine if it's better to try and stop the aircraft on the runway or possibly take it into the trees at the end of the runway, with the yoke in your chest.

There's no black or white, right or wrong answer here, but there are a lot of misconceptions about what V1 really is.

my last FSI recurrent they highlighted that the decision should have already been made, prior to hitting V1. The decision does not occur at V1. They also said recent "industry recommendations" are that even sub-V1, you should "drive thru it" and rotate anyway, as this is much safer than high speed abort

barring a wing falling off or goose came thru windshield and killed captain, etc

my last FSI recurrent they highlighted that the decision should have already been made, prior to hitting V1. The decision does not occur at V1. They also said recent "industry recommendations" are that even sub-V1, you should "drive thru it" and rotate anyway, as this is much safer than high speed abort

barring a wing falling off or goose came thru windshield and killed captain, etc

Why does the goose have to get the captain?

Runaway stab trim after v1 but prior to vr on a 12,000' runway with a balanced field of 3500'?

No clear cut answer on that .... but if any examier would give you that senerio he/she is a total a-hole.

good point. look at the Yak 42 crash in Yaroslaov (killed Lokomotiv hockey team a week ago).

Latest resources

Back