• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

automatic checkride busts - your opinions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no...you make sure you say "wow...look at that...both engines flamed out at V1" and get it on the CVR.

"wow...look at that...both engines flamed out at V1...(look at co-pilot and channel Blues Brothers)...I have always loved you"

I agree in a real live situation, aviate and worry later about arm chair quarterbacks. As far as a check ride goes, the only " double" anything I every simulated was a engine fire followed by a failure. I have been out of the industry now going on four years, and with 4 more years in age, I'm too lazy to look it up, isn't most double failures not allowed by the PTS? Of course, if the crew couldn't identify and verify a dead engine and shut down the wrong one, that was on them! ( fortunately that was training and not checking and after the talking too afterwards, I'd bet it won't happen again with those two;) )

Never heard of a "minus anything" call out in any plane I have trained on...

What do they rec'd?

I hope not discussing what the light/situation is?...I have heard some odd stuff at training centers, like aborting at V1-1kt for a screen failure...not happening on most runways we use. Common sense applies - 12K runway or 4K runway? They said it didn't matter...:confused:

Its all in the brief, get everyone on the same page.

We used to brief "After 80 KT, abort only for engine failure, fire or directional control problem". At V1, take it into the air.

30 KT windshear at liftoff: the airplane WILL land. Take the abort rather than trying to accelerate and fly. I've done it. It works.

We used to brief "After 80 KT, abort only for engine failure, fire or directional control problem". At V1, take it into the air.

30 KT windshear at liftoff: the airplane WILL land. Take the abort rather than trying to accelerate and fly. I've done it. It works.

So you abort for windshear at Vr?....:confused:...who analyzes this in the 4 seconds between V1 and Vr?

Do whatever you want, Im more concerned in a thorough briefing than I am in anything else...and the brief should vary with conditions. I'm also sure you define "directional control"

On a 15,000ft runway in a business jet one can simply brief that they want to stop on anything before Vr (if they want)

But sorry, with most of the regular runways I use you wont find me aborting for a windshear at VR.

How about landing? You could be going around 10X on a real gusty winter day at my home airport (on a plateau) if you ran each time it yelled "windshear"

Its a never-ending debate, fly how you like and how your company likes...but planes will continue to go off the end of runways for items they could have easily landed with 5 mins later.

Last edited:
Its a never-ending debate, fly how you like and how your company likes...but planes will continue to go off the end of runways for items they could have easily landed with 5 mins later.
Until you have been there and done that, it is easy to Monday morning quarter back, and that is why CA's are paid the big bucks, to make those decisions, most guys get it right, some don't.

Back to the subject of what can cause an automatic bust. There use to be an examiner around here that would bust you immediately for breaking the sterile cockpit rule. He would even try to get you to bust it by asking unimportant questions. One guy that was taking his ATP single was taxing out when the examiner asked him about what type of plane that was sitting on the ramp. When he answered, the examiner told him to taxi back. Immediate bust! That question was not pertinent to the flight so he busted him for answering instead of telling him to be quite unless it was something in regards to the flight.

So you abort for windshear at Vr?....:confused:...who analyzes this in the 4 seconds between V1 and Vr?

Do whatever you want, Im more concerned in a thorough briefing than I am in anything else...and the brief should vary with conditions. I'm also sure you define "directional control"

On a 15,000ft runway in a business jet one can simply brief that they want to stop on anything before Vr (if they want)

But sorry, with most of the regular runways I use you wont find me aborting for a windshear at VR.

How about landing? You could be going around 10X on a real gusty winter day at my home airport (on a plateau) if you ran each time it yelled "windshear"

Not normally. This was a rapid 30 KT rollback of the airspeed drum with the mains about 5 ft AGL (Field elev 6600 or so). Airplane settled to the pavement with about 5000 ft of runway remaining. Got stopped about 100 ft past end of runway. I might have cleared the berm another 100 ft further, but then again, I might not.

Last edited:
That is approaching loss of control, which is an emergency, use emergency authority do what you need to save the situation. How about both engines flame out at Vr? Worry about CYA after the fact. SOP is for normal procedures.
Did you miss the "if the aircraft is capable of flight" part? If both engines flame out or if you can't control it then why would you try to fly it?

Did you miss the "if the aircraft is capable of flight" part? If both engines flame out or if you can't control it then why would you try to fly it?
are you second guessing me?

Latest resources

Back