• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atp Circ Apch Vmc Only

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Vmc circle to land only marks you as a professional pilot. It marks you as someone who got your type rating upon competition of an air carrier-training program. Someone who earned his or her rating, as opposed to someone with enough money who can buy a rating without the airline restriction. BTW Circling under a four hundred foot ceiling in a big jet is dangerous. I think you will also find that the Cat D or E mins are very close to Vmc

The Vmc circle to land only marks you as a professional pilot. It marks you as someone who got your type rating upon competition of an air carrier-training program. Someone who earned his or her rating, as opposed to someone with enough money who can buy a rating without the airline restriction. BTW Circling under a four hundred foot ceiling in a big jet is dangerous. I think you will also find that the Cat D or E mins are very close to Vmc

Yea, but some other countries still won't hire you if it's on your certificate.

The poster is right about the sim. Most of the older sims aren't certified to do circling approaches. Interestingly, in one sim I flew, I got a type with the circling restriction, I flew the same sim (different airplane model, but just down the hall) and got a type in a different airplane without the restriction.

I don't think that was legit, since the instructor had to teach a weird, "Now, turn left, count for fifteen seconds, then turn right fifteen degrees for ten seconds and you'll find yourself lined up."

The visuals were useless for the circle, since you were at almost right-angles to the runways and the lights just didn't represent anything approaching reality.

Circling is stupid in big jet, I did it once in Newark when the wind was 35 knots right down the perpendicular runway, they were circling and that one made sense to me.

Did it a lot in small airplanes, but that's easy. Horsing around a transport category jet at MDA is not the brightest option.

But this is all not really of help to someone who wants to work overseas. There are a lot of big sim centers, but I think sim time is $650/hour in a lot of places and you'll need a designee to run the sim.

I bet you could get it done in a couple of hours, which makes sense with the poster that said it was $1,200.

I guess nobody at SWA is a professional pilot then?

So I guess I would have to pay for a PC in the EMB 145 to get it removed from my ATP and type.. Where can I do that?

Not sure where you could go for EMB 145 training - possibly (probably) FlightSafety? Where ever you go, you will need to make sure they have an examiner who is qualified to issue type ratings without you having completed their entire training course.

Just remember, you're not taking a PC - its a certificate ride. If you bust, its not just a little retraining and continue the ride, its an FAA pink slip.

China will not take you either with that limitation.

Please clarify. These other countries won't take you if you have this circle to land limitation on your ATP certificate or on a specific type rating. When I got my ATP there was a circle to land so I don't have it on my ATP, but when I got the 737 type I have that limitation on the type. Would that be a disqualifier in china, middle east ect?

Bottom line. You need to have a simulator that has the circ. visual installed, then you simply need to do the procedure/maneuver and have the restriction removed frim you Airman's cert. This is not rocket science, but rather simply another maneuver. Beware however there are at least a dozen ways to screw this up. I see this done in both the 747-400 and the 777 on a weekly basis and it's not always pretty. It's very easy to get into an unstabilized approach below 500' and that's where the rubber meets the road for the FAA.

Get to know a DE and next time you are in for a pc, ask him is in the extra time, he can do the circle removal. It requires an 8710, but only about 20 mins to do the procedure.

Latest resources

Back