• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atp Circ Apch Vmc Only

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have it on my A320 and CL-65 type ratings, but do not on my 737 and BE-1900. I am trying to find a place that would allow me to take a ride to remove it from the A320 type, but so far no place I have found has an "approved" program to remove the limitation without doing the full course (that is what they have told me anyway). As one mentioned, most overseas companies/governments want a completely unrestriced type rating to be eligible (ie. China, Korea), and I am interested in pursuing that option. It hurt me with Vietnam Airlines.

I have it on my A320 and CL-65 type ratings, but do not on my 737 and BE-1900. I am trying to find a place that would allow me to take a ride to remove it from the A320 type, but so far no place I have found has an "approved" program to remove the limitation without doing the full course (that is what they have told me anyway). As one mentioned, most overseas companies/governments want a completely unrestriced type rating to be eligible (ie. China, Korea), and I am interested in pursuing that option. It hurt me with Vietnam Airlines.

I think companies here in the USA are putting the restriction on our ratings so it limits our job options. Just another way to keep us down

My ATP has a circ apch vmc only limitaion on it.

My 3 type ratings have the same limitation. They would not allow us to do the circ to land approach at my company in any of the type rides.

Does anybody know what I need to do to get rid of the limitation? Do i have to demonstrate profeciency in all 3 types?
This sounds like a complete crock. The company that wants you is going to put in the sim anyway and give you a checkride. During that checkride they are going to give you a circle to land approach in which you have demonstrate that you can do it proficiently. That would remove that circle to land restriction. I don't know why you would have to pay your own money unless this is complete bs.

My ATP has a circ apch vmc only limitaion on it.

My 3 type ratings have the same limitation. They would not allow us to do the circ to land approach at my company in any of the type rides.

Does anybody know what I need to do to get rid of the limitation? Do i have to demonstrate profeciency in all 3 types?

If I am not mistaken it has to do with the sim and the approach in the sim data base. You need a sim with visuals around the side, (level D)? and only a handful of sims and airports, IND I recall are certified by the feds. Not sure if this helps any?

Try Pan Am, they will remove the B737 circle for about $1200. Don't know how much it is for the A320. You must be looking at a furlough. Good luck!

If I am not mistaken it has to do with the sim and the approach in the sim data base. You need a sim with visuals around the side, (level D)? and only a handful of sims and airports, IND I recall are certified by the feds. Not sure if this helps any?

maybe ........but my company does not allow circle to land approaches. To be more specific, we can circle to land but the WX has to be VMC mins or better, hence not a real circle to land, it is classified as a visul approach.

The compamy does not train us to do IFR circle to land approaches because we are not allowed to do them per ops spec. It is a waste of time and money.

It is CHEAPER for the company to issue you a restricted license than train you for an approach that you are not allowed to do.

That being said, is it true Vietnam will not take you if your A320 type has the circling limitation??????? There goes my back up plan. Time for the second backup "Welcome to Walmart"........

maybe ........but my company does not allow circle to land approaches. To be more specific, we can circle to land but the WX has to be VMC mins or better, hence not a real circle to land, it is classified as a visul approach.

The compamy does not train us to do IFR circle to land approaches because we are not allowed to do them per ops spec. It is a waste of time and money.

It is CHEAPER for the company to issue you a restricted license than train you for an approach that you are not allowed to do.

That being said, is it true Vietnam will not take you if your A320 type has the circling limitation??????? There goes my back up plan. Time for the second backup "Welcome to Walmart"........

China will not take you either with that limitation.

Who gives a crap if it is on there?!?! Most of my Types have the limitation, but a couple don't - so what. When will you ever do a circling approach in an airliner? Why would you want to waste your money getting that "limitation" removed.

At Allegiant!

To remove the limitation from your ATP only, you have to take an ATP level checkride that includes circling approaches. This could even be done in a single engine airplane if you wanted to convert your SE rating to an ATP.

To remove it from each of your type ratings, the checkride would have to happen in each type that you have. The sim used does not have to be level D assuming you meet certain requirements (and since you already have the restrided type - you meet those requirements); a level C sim will do the trick. However, the sim and the training program have to be certified for circling approaches. The sim certification will include the specific airports that can be used for the checkride (typicaly IND and/or MEM).

Also, since the checkride includes the issuance of a new certificate, the checkride must be conducted by someone designated by the FAA to conduct such a check (APD, TCE, DPE, etc.). I was an APD for a few years at my last company and issued many ATP's and type ratings.

To remove the limitation from your ATP only, you have to take an ATP level checkride that includes circling approaches. This could even be done in a single engine airplane if you wanted to convert your SE rating to an ATP.

To remove it from each of your type ratings, the checkride would have to happen in each type that you have. The sim used does not have to be level D assuming you meet certain requirements (and since you already have the restrided type - you meet those requirements); a level C sim will do the trick. However, the sim and the training program have to be certified for circling approaches. The sim certification will include the specific airports that can be used for the checkride (typicaly IND and/or MEM).

Also, since the checkride includes the issuance of a new certificate, the checkride must be conducted by someone designated by the FAA to conduct such a check (APD, TCE, DPE, etc.). I was an APD for a few years at my last company and issued many ATP's and type ratings.

So I guess I would have to pay for a PC in the EMB 145 to get it removed from my ATP and type.. Where can I do that?

Latest resources

Back