• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas going Teamsters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cfire, I really wish you the best of luck whatever happens. The RLA is a POS and the "fly it then grieve it" BS has got to stop-regardless of the union involved.

Before you get too much inspired by the IBT's leadership you need to understand a few things. I would first really study the differences between the old and some of the recently negotiated contracts by the Teamsters.

None of them that I am aware of represent a real gain in income when inflation is considered and I'm beginning to think that mine is going to end up being a net loss.

I'm interested in pursuing a job at Atlas. Is anyone aware of current CBA floating around the internet that I can look at?

Cheers,
D

Don't you just love a guy that has no idea wtf he is talking about. But talks and talks anyway?

Go look at the ABX pay scale JF 10 year CA $235 hr

Actually KS, ABX 1224 voted to take the big one up the tailpipe and win a one group race to the bottom. With the signing of the new ABX/DHL deal, they have elected to let ATSG rape them to the tune of over $80/hr (including work rule changes). Their top pay is now around the ATI scale at $160/hr for top CA pay.

That and they have about 430 guys furloughed...

Teamsters, ya know...

Last edited:
I heard it was part of the decertification of the IBT by ATI and their subsequent move to ALPA. That move due to the shenanigans with local 747 officials and ATI union officials not getting part of their illegal deal cutting under 747 President Sewall when IBT International cleaned out the house at 747 when it was discovered. I believe those local 747 ex-officials are under federal investigation now.

The ATI move has something about ALPA's President Prater promising a concessionary contract if management ATSG moved all the flying over to ATI. ATI decertified IBT and moved to ALPA and the ATSG signed the new ALPA concessionary contract deal two weeks after the decertification. Looks like the concessionary contract held while ATSG reneged on moving all the A/C over to ATI. Love how Prater doesn't mind whipsawing groups against each other. Probably why so many have left ALPA.

Last edited:
I heard it was part of the decertification of the IBT by ATI and their subsequent move to ALPA. That move due to the shenanigans with local 747 officials and ATI union officials not getting part of their illegal deal cutting under 747 President Sewall when IBT International cleaned out the house at 747 when it was discovered. I believe those local 747 ex-officials are under federal investigation now.

The ATI move has something about ALPA's President Prater promising a concessionary contract if management ATSG moved all the flying over to ATI. ATI decertified IBT and moved to ALPA and the ATSG signed the new ALPA concessionary contract deal two weeks after the decertification. Looks like the concessionary contract held while ATSG reneged on moving all the A/C over to ATI. Love how Prater doesn't mind whipsawing groups against each other. Probably why so many have left ALPA.

Cfire, you are completely mistaken. I have a lot of beefs with ALPA, but the one thing they won't do is engage in predatory negotiations. Witness my former company Astar holding at our old negotiated rates. There are no talks underway there, and we know we are dead because of it. (I've already left there, btw.) The only group that has pursued concessions is the 1224. And they gave away the store, for no reason. DHL had no where else to go for lift. They could have kept the flying and their old pay rates. But they chose to drop their pay to ATI scales, because "it's a whole new ACMI world out there". Complete and utter BS. I am most likely not going to contribute any further to this thread because I'm retired now, but I could not stand by and let such a gross misrepresentation of the facts stand uncorrected. Let the spin doctors of the 1224 have their go at it now. Hvy, out.

Cfire, you are completely mistaken. I have a lot of beefs with ALPA, but the one thing they won't do is engage in predatory negotiations. Witness my former company Astar holding at our old negotiated rates. There are no talks underway there, and we know we are dead because of it. (I've already left there, btw.) The only group that has pursued concessions is the 1224. And they gave away the store, for no reason. DHL had no where else to go for lift. They could have kept the flying and their old pay rates. But they chose to drop their pay to ATI scales, because "it's a whole new ACMI world out there". Complete and utter BS. I am most likely not going to contribute any further to this thread because I'm retired now, but I could not stand by and let such a gross misrepresentation of the facts stand uncorrected. Let the spin doctors of the 1224 have their go at it now. Hvy, out.

Second item first. You're correct about the capitulation of 1224. With the bodies on the street vastly outnumbering those remaining on property the dynamics of a ransomed severance package came into play. The vote to ratify primarily became a contest between severance for those no longer working verses QOL life for those who were. The outcome is understandable; the fact that a vote was allowed to take place within this particular framework isn't.

I've nothing to spin. I would have preferred to shut the place down and have DHL form a bicycle squad to deliver their freight via the interstate system (very entrepreneurial, there'd probably be free money from Washington to help get them pedaling) rather than offer the concessions which now form our CBA. We at ABX through 1224 did control the lift, and the reaction of DHL over Christmas to a perceived threat to their system indicates that a greater willingness during negotiation to use lift as leverage would have yielded dividends. It must be said though that even our sadly reduced circumstances continue to top those of ATI with our captain's salary having a base of $160K per year - not the $160 an hour as has previously been mis-posted.

As for your first comment about the demise of Astar: more to do I think with flying junk ( ref: airframes not cargo) than the upright moral integrity of a 'no compromise no concession' bargaining stance. When the price of fuel goes back up, as it inevitably will, the operating costs of aged 1990's workhorses will render them economically obsolete.

Last edited:
As for your first comment about the demise of Astar: more to do I think with flying junk ( ref: airframes not cargo) than the upright moral integrity of a 'no compromise no concession' bargaining stance. When the price of fuel goes back up, as it inevitably will, the operating costs of aged 1990's workhorses will render them economically obsolete.

I don't think it did. Astar and DHL had several talks about refleeting over the past few years. It always involved DHL saying they would do that for us but we would have to "realign our costs". Neither Dasburg nor ALPA wanted to play that game with the Germans.

I don't think it did. Astar and DHL had several talks about refleeting over the past few years. It always involved DHL saying they would do that for us but we would have to "realign our costs". Neither Dasburg nor ALPA wanted to play that game with the Germans.

Hvy, you can drink the coolaid if you want but any chance of refleeting was never really an option. Spending 100s of millions of dollars to refleet ASTAR for use in a market losing 100s of millions of dollars was never going to happen. ALPA/ ASTAR got sucked in by DHL/John D. to sign a contract, drop a law suit.... and dimantle an airline.

"No where to go for lift"! This after ATSG/ABX started giving aircraft and flying to sister companies working for scab wages! You have not been paying attention. Cappy and ATI have 757/767 operating on their certificates. Hete moves the aircraft and flying to those carriers and ABX goes away. But at least while standing in the unemployment line I could say no concessions!

Latest resources

Back