• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas going Teamsters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A "Union" is only as good as your local representation and the unity of the group. There is good and bad in both. The one thing that I will say about Teamsters is the fact that many dock workers, Load teams, etc are Teamsters so if times get tough, you may get a lot of support from indirect sources.

Actually, quite the contrary. Atlas is an ACMI carrier, loaders, drivers, etc. are mostly fly by night operations with no union affiliation whatsoever so one would expect NO help during a work stoppage. I have read the rhetoric spewed forth on the ATLASforteamsters site and I must say it was quite disturbing. Mostly hearsay with nothing to back it up. Remember this in the Usair merger, BOTH sides requested an arbitrators decision. That arbitrator told them "you will NOT like what I come up with, you need to go back in there and cut a deal". They would not, he ruled, they blamed ALPA. Now they will always be a split group and management will take them on the ride of their lives.

"loaders, drivers, etc. are mostly fly by night operations with no union affiliation whatsoever"

IBT represents an large amount of drivers, loaders and logistics employees. Fly-by-night they are not!!!!

Actually, quite the contrary. Atlas is an ACMI carrier, loaders, drivers, etc. are mostly fly by night operations with no union affiliation whatsoever so one would expect NO help during a work stoppage. I have read the rhetoric spewed forth on the ATLASforteamsters site and I must say it was quite disturbing. Mostly hearsay with nothing to back it up. Remember this in the Usair merger, BOTH sides requested an arbitrators decision. That arbitrator told them "you will NOT like what I come up with, you need to go back in there and cut a deal". They would not, he ruled, they blamed ALPA. Now they will always be a split group and management will take them on the ride of their lives.

The issue of seniority is already written in stone now by the arbitor. If your talking about how Polar wanted "follow the flying" in which they could at some point down the road claim everything as theirs if a portion of the company gets sold leaving the Atlas pilots unemployed. That is Polar trying to go back and get another piece of the already predominately won by polar arbitrated seniority list via the later parts of a the merger negotiation process. BTW that is not going to happen. It's more about ALPA funding the attempted removal of Atlas Atlas to be given to Polar.

Wouldn't you looking for blood if the Union you pay dues to was using those funds to take your work away from you and siding with another council just because they voted for them?

BTW there is plenty to back up the web site. Just because they have not spelled it all out on a platter . You are a member, go ask for the numbers at National. If it was false info, wouldn't ALPA already be suing and wouldn't the guys at http://atlasforteamsters.com know they could get sued.

The best thing about the the Teamsters is that a picket line is very easy to identify... It is the guys standing around with baseball bats. It is self correcting for the vision deficient.....No other Teamster will cross it. This is something That the ALPA boys have had a problem with in the past

The best thing about the the Teamsters is that a picket line is very easy to identify... It is the guys standing around with baseball bats. It is self correcting for the vision deficient.....No other Teamster will cross it. This is something That the ALPA boys have had a problem with in the past

Teamsters picket? Really? When's the last time you saw a Teamster represented airline do that? Just asking.

Teamsters picket? Really? When's the last time you saw a Teamster represented airline do that? Just asking.

I have never seen that before, maybe the ATI guys but I don't think so.
The Netjets guys picketed but they aren't "airline". I didn't see any baseball bats. :) I think they are getting rid of IBT and going solo anyway. If the Atlas guys think IBT is going to magically make everything wonderful then so be it. I just think it's a huge mistake, the website is full of crap. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back