ATA Scheduled Service Changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
OK, here we go . . . . . I have quite a few friends at SWA, and I have always liked the company, but in the past year or two, it seems to me some things have definitely changed, and not necessarily for the better.

In my opinion, SWA used to be the underdog people rooted for. They hired good people, had something special, made money, generally worked well with others . . .

Now, as the 800-lb gorilla, some of their tactics aren't looking quite as right. PHL really comes to mind as an overly-aggressive maneuver, now with PIT announced, and CLT likely to follow, they are certainly going for the jugular. Do they need to? Nope. Now, I understand this is a cut-throat business, but they are taking off the gloves and working these guys at USAirways over with their bare fists. . . . . not really necessary, IMHO.

As for the pilots- when you had 300 airplanes that would pretend to miss a call from ground so they could gain the right-of-way, it wasn't so noticeable. Now that you have 600 airplanes out there doing it, it becomes obvious and obnoxious. And, is it me only, or have others noticed that some of the guys making it through the door over there aren't quite made of the same stuff as the rest?

Now we have this ATA thing . . . . AirTran was very upfront about its plans, while SWA pretends to be the "savior" of ATA. In the weeks and months ahead, I think it will become very obvious what they intend to do with ATA, and with MDW.

Do you eat your own poop......also? :rolleyes:

flyhard said:
Ty,

Come on dude. One guy ignores ground and now you think they are doing it on purpose. GMAFB.

If it was one guy, or even only ten guys, I wouldn't be making the post, now, would I, Sport? How about you GMAFB? Maybe I should make a new string, called "Ever been cut-off by SWA?" and see what kind of responses we get?

And now you are saying that the airlines are a cut-throat business and you can't believe it. Wow, you have a lot to learn my friend.

I didn't say "I can't believe it". Don't make up crap and put my name on it.

The point I am making is that the bigger SWA gets, the bigger its warts get, "friend", and the more obvious they become.:rolleyes:

Try not to help me make that point, huh?

Last edited:
I flew out of MDW for 5 years and I have seen WN pilots do just what Ty said multiple times.

On another note....I know it is not SWA pilot's fault, but I have had ATC slow me down (while doing 250kts BELOW 10000ft) and put SWA in front. Gee, I didn't know a turboprop does 250 KIAS slower than a jet.

A few years back....

Going into ISP, late at night below 10000, airport in sight about 20 miles out. We're in a Dash 8 and right at baber pole, 247 knots. WN checks on behind us and also below 10k. ATC breaks us off so WN can go by. We ask "Why the vector? We have the field in sight and at max forward speed."

AtC says that "WN has close to 100 knots on you and gaining".

My repy, "Really, well, I'm doing almost 250 and they should be doing the same since we are both below 10000".

ATC, after a few seconds, "Well, they are just faster than you, turn right 90 degrees."

We've all been there, not to knock the WN pilots. Just my personal experience.

sayagain?

Even though I like Southwest, I've experienced that as well. Getting to the end of the runway with nobody around, sitting for three arrivals, then launching the SWA 737 that just pulled up on the other side. Or, when a SWA jet pulled out from their gate in CLE onto the active taxiway with us driving down it, only to call ground for taxi after they had already impeded our progress. Not once, but twice in a week.

Like I said, I like Southwest and their corporate culture, but I think Herb's quote applies: "Think and act big, get small. Think and act small, get big." A good dose of humility in these good times would do well while everyone else is hurting. Obviously you should be happy and proud of the successes of your employer, but it just seems the ego is getting larger with every other airline's failure. I should also say that this doesn't just apply to SWA.

Gee, I didn't know a turboprop does 250 KIAS slower than a jet.

It doesn't, its what you do after you get in the line that matters. ATC knows that SWA means business and if they ask us to give our best forward speed they know we will. 30+ years of helping ATC out has built up a trust factor and they know that we will do what we say when ATC needs a hand. (our "new" procedures slow us down a bit, but ATC stills knows it can count on us to expedite as much as safely possible if they ask us to)

As far as clearing a SWA plane first when they weren't first in line, it could be many things. Slot time maybe? Flow? Or it could simply be that they know we wont screw around on the runway since they have traffic on final.

I know it must be frustrating for some of yall, but believe me, we are cut in front of too! We are slowed WAY down behind folks all the time. It is an equal opportunity hose job at most airports.

Please don't shoot the messenger, this topic just struck a nerve. We have to wait for hours sometimes too!

roughneck,
I see what you are saying, but I can do 250 to the marker in the Saab.......somehow, I don't think you can do that in the 737. I could be wrong....
I think Windy City has been around long enough for ATC to know that they could expedite as well.

I asked my buddy who worked for Chicago center a few years ago why I was getting hosed in and out of MDW in a Jetsteam. He basically said it is not that they give preferential treatment to SWA, it is simply because a jet will get priority over a turboprop if using the same runway and when there is a tie because a jet has faster approach and departure speeds when getting close to the airport.

I'm not an ATC controller but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night! :D

Saabs can go 250?
A lot of b!tching going on here.
Ty, you sound like a little baby who gripes all day long in your little pilot seat about what you should have had your whole life and how you have been cheated out of what you are owed.
Lets face it, if you cant hang with the big dogs (SWA), stay on the porch.

TZFO said:
Saabs can go 250?
A lot of b!tching going on here.
Lets face it, if you cant hang with the big dogs (SWA), stay on the porch.

He!! ya a Saab can go 250....in the winter :)

I want to hang with the big dogs...but ATC won't let me ;)

Latest resources

Back