ATA Scheduled Service Changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TZFO said:
Ty, you sound like a little baby who gripes all day long in your little pilot seat about what you should have had your whole life and how you have been cheated out of what you are owed

Really? That's pretty funny, because I don't feel like I have been deprived of anything, but I'll tell you what, sister, I have been posting on this board for over 7 years, just do a search and see if you can find anything to back up your little "theory" and post it. Good luck.

Secondly, my "little pilot seat" is probably the same seat as you are sitting in, except on the other side of the center console. How's your "little seat" treating you? Mine's treating me A-OK.

Lets face it, if you cant hang with the big dogs (SWA), stay on the porch.

Hmmm. This one is just pathetic. Unless YOU have a SWA class date, TZ FO, looks to me like YOU are the one who is going to be staying on the porch . . . . Oh, but it looks good on you. :rolleyes:

What a frigging idiot.

Last edited:
Ty Webb

The figures I quoted were in the Baltimore Sun. Again the figures aren't what is happenning now but what happened after SWA had been at BWI for only ONE year.
As for SWA being 100 kts faster going into ISP, if you are more than 12 miles off the coast (& coming from the south you normally are) then you can go faster than 250 below 10,000

well maybe it is a MDW thing because from the jumpseat i have observed several ATA crews set speeds in the MCP over 250 below 10,000 in order to have slight (like 10 knots) advantages over the turboprops and others who are doing 250 correctly. while i don't condone the behavior it is hardly a WN issue, more an issue of a bunch of guys who want to cut in line and are using a bad way of getting ATC to do it.

saabcaptain said:
furloughs at ATA aren't set yet but will be fairly deep it seems. 2000 hires may be in trouble.

Not sure where your info came from, and nobody really knows how many furloughes there will be of course, however, with many leaving for other jobs there will likely be a lot less actual furloughes. 2000 hires were not even on the inital hit list (unless you're confused with the Airtran deal). IMHO, it won't get passed 2003 hires. Maybe 150 total furloughes. Hope it's a lot less though!

Look at it from SWA's standpoint. They've always lived clean, kept themselves in tip-top shape, etc. Come 9/11, come the Iraq War, what happened? Govt handed out a lot of money to all the airlines, even made loans to some of them. What did that do? Kept alive airlines that weren't well run, that even without 9/11 and the Iraq War would likely have gone under. Was that a victimless action by the govt? No. Who did it hurt? SWA and its shareholders. Without govt aid, what would have happened? AWA, ATA and US Airways would all likely have gone down. Who would have benefitted? SWA and its shareholders.

ATA was badly run. That's a fact. In a bad state of the world, it should have gone down. SWA had to beat ATA not just once, but at least twice, due to successive injections of govt aid. Had ATA gone down, a lot of people would have been hurt, but that's the way business is supposed to work in this country. That's what "free market" means. The well run survive and the poorly run go out of business---and yes, innocent people get hurt along the way because, overall, we're all better off if we have a system like this.

So can you blame SWA if they're taking the gloves off? They're the biggest victim of all the stupid govt aid (and overall, how much has that aid helped the business? Not a lot, just look at the state it is in...)

Ty Webb said:
OK, here we go . . . . . I have quite a few friends at SWA, and I have always liked the company, but in the past year or two, it seems to me some things have definitely changed, and not necessarily for the better.

In my opinion, SWA used to be the underdog people rooted for. They hired good people, had something special, made money, generally worked well with others . . .

Now, as the 800-lb gorilla, some of their tactics aren't looking quite as right. PHL really comes to mind as an overly-aggressive maneuver, now with PIT announced, and CLT likely to follow, they are certainly going for the jugular. Do they need to? Nope. Now, I understand this is a cut-throat business, but they are taking off the gloves and working these guys at USAirways over with their bare fists. . . . . not really necessary, IMHO.

As for the pilots- when you had 300 airplanes that would pretend to miss a call from ground so they could gain the right-of-way, it wasn't so noticeable. Now that you have 600 airplanes out there doing it, it becomes obvious and obnoxious. And, is it me only, or have others noticed that some of the guys making it through the door over there aren't quite made of the same stuff as the rest?

Now we have this ATA thing . . . . AirTran was very upfront about its plans, while SWA pretends to be the "savior" of ATA. In the weeks and months ahead, I think it will become very obvious what they intend to do with ATA, and with MDW.

Good luck to all concerned.

ty

"Hmmm. This one is just pathetic. Unless YOU have a SWA class date, TZ FO, looks to me like YOU are the one who is going to be staying on the porch . . . . Oh, but it looks good on you. :rolleyes: "

I'll be sitting on the porch studying for a guaranteed interview at the most sucessful airline ever. Not too bad of a summer gig.

Last edited:
ATA. What a dump. Ten years ago, they couldn't pay pilots to stay. Then, all-of-a-sudden, they were like- "Competition continues to be incredibly fierce, if the candidate doesn't have at least 5000 hours, and heavy time they can forget getting an interview...." Now look at 'em. Butt wipes.

Ty Webb said:
"Ever been cut-off by SWA?" and see what kind of responses we get?

Too true, Ty...

In PHL it's pretty obnoxious. I've seen SWA make numerous "oops, wrong turn" to slip in the back way (spot 11), despite hanging up everyone else trying to get out that way. Way too many to be coincidence.

Same goes for the foot race to depart "oops, ramp, guess we should have been talking to you" after cutting off 2 aircraft ahead.

Lets face it...you can push the power up or go direct somewhere, but in reality, you are going to save or make up very little time in the air over whats flight planned. The real time savings is on the ground, and SWA pushes it right to the limit. Seems like the crews are banking on the fact that ramp (which is amost never "real" ATC) and ground never calls them on it.

Hehe, although one time...Right when they started flying out of BWI back in the day they got bit ch slapped pretty hard. BWI ground would sequence you by when you called to taxi. Good 'ole SWA calls up for the taxi, and the intrepid ground controller sees the tug still attached, and the airplane moving backwards. Man, they got read the riot act. Basically the controller goes "once you are ready to taxi, proceed to xxx and hold there, you are number 38 for departure. Welcome to Baltimore"

What goes around comes around...

Nu

TZFO said:
I'll be sitting on the porch studying for a guaranteed interview at the most sucessful airline ever. Not too bad of a summer gig.

If that's what you want, more power to ya. Hope they don't see the side of you that you've been showing on this board, though, or the only offer you'll get is a positive-space seat back home.

Ty,

You must have been hired before Valujet actually started screening applicants, otherwise you would have had a seat on the other side, meaning airport fence.

Oak Boy,

Yep ATA does hire the best. Sour grapes? And now look at us, one of the best in the business still. Your "dumpy" attitude may explain why you are still in an RJ.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back