• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar - Point The Blame Where It Belongs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did not say do nothing! I said why don't you picket your own management for doing nothing. Please explain to me what Dasburg is doing to help fight for your job. You know, I am not sure what will happen when DHL is gone, but I am not going to whine about other companies only doing what is best for thier employees. It is over! Even if we win the antitrust suit, what will be left? 1% of the market. Channel your energies into persuading your boss to find alternatives to keep his employees working...

Hey dx, that's an awesome idea! Why, I'll just head right on down to MIA and knock on the Daz's door and say "hey, let's use those 8's on ACMI! It doesn't matter that DHL has that pesky agreement with you that states "all your jets are belong to us!" where they can sue Astar six ways to Sunday if we dare to use them for something other than flying DHL material. ! Heck no! Let's just do it!" Right.

Everything I've read about this deal so far indicates that DHL is planning, at least for the time being, to maintain their own billing and tracking systems. The only part that's being "outsourced" is the travel between cities. How does "the color of the plane" upon which the cargo travels control pricing?

Think about what you just asked. You're a bright guy, I know you can figure this out on your own.

I did not say do nothing! I said why don't you picket your own management for doing nothing. Please explain to me what Dasburg is doing to help fight for your job. You know, I am not sure what will happen when DHL is gone, but I am not going to whine about other companies only doing what is best for thier employees. It is over! Even if we win the antitrust suit, what will be left? 1% of the market. Channel your energies into persuading your boss to find alternatives to keep his employees working...

I'm not sure I'd call filing this grievance and what would be the multimillion dollar lawsuit "whining"...but to each his own.

I'm sorry DX, what was it again you said you and 1224 were doing again to save your jobs?

Come on Dan, is UPS going to hire 6k-7k somebodies to do the job? It is a net loss no matter how you cut it.
The 6-7000 jobs includes secondary and tertiary jobs within the region. When DHL expanded the CVG hub, some "economist" said that every dollar coming into the community was spent 7 times. The actual number of Astar/ABX/DHL jobs lost will be a couple thousand. (ABX will probably survive, although as a smaller company)

UPS WILL have to hire additional people to handle DHL freight. Unfortunately, they won't need to hire 1100 pilots, but they WILL add and promote pilots, as will some of their feeders. Caravan runs may become ATR runs, and ATR runs may go in-house to UPS, all of which creates new opportunites for pilots. Sorting at both companies is still done largely by hand, one piece at a time. If the number of pieces goes up by, say, 7%, the number of people required to sort them (in the same amount of time) also goes up by 7%. They're going to need bodies. I don't know why they wouldn't consider hiring people who have been doing the same job at DHL. The same applies to aircraft mechs, load planners, ops people, security guards, whatever.

The blow to the Wilmington economy will be severe, and to many individual pilots, devastating. Yes, there will be a net loss of jobs, because UPS is a bigger, more efficient company, flying bigger, more efficient planes. But there will be just as many packages being flown, sorted, and flown again each night as there were before this "merger." Somebody's going to make money handling that additional volume and supplying the infrastructure it requires.

This might be a real good time to open a U-Haul franchise in Clinton County.

Last edited:
Dan, Actually the 6-7k jobs lost is at the airport. The trickle down effect could be three to four times that.

We have picketed our management right in Plantation, right on DHL's front door step, as they sit on our board, they are our management. You guys have.....................

If you're willing to sit around and let the others do the heavy lifting, that's fine.
hvydriver said:
The 1224 is fighting? Really? Where??
I'm sorry DX, what was it again you said you and 1224 were doing again to save your jobs?
We have picketed our management right in Plantation, right on DHL's front door step, as they sit on our board, they are our management. You guys have.....................

I’m guessing the fav subject around the Astar cafeteria still hasn’t changed…. dissing ABX pilots.

I’ll just point out that of all the tactics employed to try to change DHL’s plans, it’s the political arena that’s gained the most traction and has the best potential. It’s been ABX pilots, not Astar pilots, that led the way.

That’s Ok. You guys just keep doing what you’ve always done…. make noise. We’ll just keep doing what we’ve always done… get results.

I’m guessing the fav subject around the Astar cafeteria still hasn’t changed…. dissing ABX pilots.

I’ll just point out that of all the tactics employed to try to change DHL’s plans, it’s the political arena that’s gained the most traction and has the best potential. It’s been ABX pilots, not Astar pilots, that led the way.

That’s Ok. You guys just keep doing what you’ve always done…. make noise. We’ll just keep doing what we’ve always done… get results.

I'm sorry peng. You wanna elaborate on that? How exactly you've "led the way"? How exactly you "get results"? Political arena or otherwise. Please enlighten us.

Latest resources

Back