Astar - Point The Blame Where It Belongs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Beer Belly

You Astar guys have blamed DHL and UPS for your misfortune and picketed both companies. A few questions:

1. Why haven't you picketed YOUR employer (Astar) for becoming wholly reliant on a single contract for its viability?

2. Since 2003, when Astar became a separate contractor entity with a single contract for its survival, didn't any of you think to yourselves, "Gee self, I have an awful lot of eggs in one basket and if that basket fails I'll be in a world of hurt!"

I understand most of you did not SEEK out this contractor situation you found yourselves "evolved" into. Nevertheless, that's been your status for at least 5 years... COMPLETELY dependent on a single contract for your company's survival. Didn't this raise any warning flags? What made you feel secure enough to stay at Astar these past 5 years? Was it the aging, fuel-inefficient fleet of 30-40 year-old aircraft you were operating with no plan for replacement? Perhaps it was the dwindling volume, erosion of market share and ever increasing losses DHL was ringing up each of the past 5 years that gave you the warm fuzzy that life would continue uninterrupted?

IMO, you blame DHL and UPS... when you ought to be "blaming" Astar and to a lesser degree the mirror for the situation you're in.

BBB

(Used to be sympathetic till you picketed UPS.)

BBB, all valid points, my question to you is, why do you care if they picket UPS? Your management neither cares for IPA and your pilot concerns as a whole. So why lose sympathy for DHL/ASTAR/ ATSG or whatever they call themselves.

P.S. I don't work for any of the above groups, just your major rival, and I am curious as to your reasoning.

You Astar guys have blamed DHL and UPS for your misfortune and picketed both companies. A few questions:

1. Why haven't you picketed YOUR employer (Astar) for becoming wholly reliant on a single contract for its viability?

2. Since 2003, when Astar became a separate contractor entity with a single contract for its survival, didn't any of you think to yourselves, "Gee self, I have an awful lot of eggs in one basket and if that basket fails I'll be in a world of hurt!"

I understand most of you did not SEEK out this contractor situation you found yourselves "evolved" into. Nevertheless, that's been your status for at least 5 years... COMPLETELY dependent on a single contract for your company's survival. Didn't this raise any warning flags? What made you feel secure enough to stay at Astar these past 5 years? Was it the aging, fuel-inefficient fleet of 30-40 year-old aircraft you were operating with no plan for replacement? Perhaps it was the dwindling volume, erosion of market share and ever increasing losses DHL was ringing up each of the past 5 years that gave you the warm fuzzy that life would continue uninterrupted?

IMO, you blame DHL and UPS... when you ought to be "blaming" Astar and to a lesser degree the mirror for the situation you're in.

BBB

That would be because Astar, and to a lesser degree ABX, are limited in what they could do outside DHL lift per their respective ACMI agreements. Astar could only do DOD charter essentially, and ABX is limited to 10% above DHL revenues. (ABX guys correct me if I'm off on this.) These were terms insisted on by DHL. In exchange for this, there were job security covenants made, and long term ACMI contracts for Astar. Just so you kids know, we filed suit against DHL in Clinton Co. court this past week. Fun fun!

(Was just picketing UPS management, till BBB came into the picture.) J/K UPS guys.

BBB, all valid points, my question to you is, why do you care if they picket UPS? Your management neither cares for IPA and your pilot concerns as a whole. So why lose sympathy for DHL/ASTAR/ ATSG or whatever they call themselves.

P.S. I don't work for any of the above groups, just your major rival, and I am curious as to your reasoning.

I care in that UPS is blameless in this instance. They are a corporation attempting to maximize shareholder return. Why attack UPS? What have they done wrong?

As far as UPS "caring for the IPA or its pilots' concerns"... interesting question. I'd answer by saying we try to change the things we have influence over and simply accept those over which we have no influence. Large corporations are impersonal. I don't need to have my inputs valued or even considered to feel job satisfaction. I simply show up, operate the aircraft safely and in compliance with SOP's and FAR's and don't hear a peep till recurrent rolls around.

The situation works for me.

BBB

That would be because Astar, and to a lesser degree ABX, are limited in what they could do outside DHL lift per their respective ACMI agreements.

Interesting Hvy... thanks for the info.

Job "assurances" aside, I would think that aging aircraft, no new aircraft acquisitions, declining market share and increasing financial losses by DHL would all portend future career uncertainty. Setting "blame" aside for the moment, you must acknowledge that continuing in this employment situation significantly elevated the risk of an interruption to your income in the future. Evidently, you considered that risk acceptable. I have no problem with that. My heartburn is you blaming UPS for your current predicament rather than acknowledging the elevated risk you assumed by staying with Astar post 2003.

BBB

clueless!

BBB

Here is a j/o who sits on his perch and lectures other pilots when he is clueless. This also someone that if this deal goes through and when some IPA flying goes away, he will let jobs vanish without a whimper...like the lapdog he is.

Gotta be management!

It's funny when Big Beer Belly, BrowntotheBone and eatme start having conversations with himself.

BTW, he just PM'ed me claiming one of his personalities was not him. LOL!!

What this idiot doesn't realize is all his personalities use the same syntax, the same grammar and the same spelling errors. Very easy to spot. (Now watch him try to cover that up)

It's no wonder Airborne fired him.

R&W... your tired mantra of troll, I'm mgmt, I'm other people is old. If you disagree with what I say, just state why. It's not that difficult.

fob... when someone posts a dissenting OPINION to your views you immediately go for the insults. I can't imagine this has served you well in life. Just type why you disagree...

BBB

R&W... your tired mantra of troll, I'm mgmt, I'm other people is old. If you disagree with what I say, just state why. It's not that difficult.

fob... when someone posts a dissenting OPINION to your views you immediately go for the insults. I can't imagine this has served you well in life. Just type why you disagree...

BBB

never called you management, just identified who you really are. Obviously you can't handle the truth.

Interesting Hvy... thanks for the info.

Job "assurances" aside, I would think that aging aircraft, no new aircraft acquisitions, declining market share and increasing financial losses by DHL would all portend future career uncertainty. Setting "blame" aside for the moment, you must acknowledge that continuing in this employment situation significantly elevated the risk of an interruption to your income in the future. Evidently, you considered that risk acceptable. I have no problem with that. My heartburn is you blaming UPS for your current predicament rather than acknowledging the elevated risk you assumed by staying with Astar post 2003.

BBB

Actually, right up until DPWN revealed it's awesome plan, Astar was negotiating a refleet with DHL. That has been going on since DHL bought back into Astar. As to "blaming" UPS (as a company), the entire crux of the case as far as we and the state of OH are concerned is that it has the potential to violate US anti-trust laws. To have a concern in this arena, there has to be two to tango. I would think that would be plainly obvious. Without a company willing to negotiate with DHL to carry their material, there is no anti-trust violation, because DHL would have no one to do it but themselves, or their current contractors, Astar and ABX. This, and the false representations made to both Astar and ALPA during our contract negotiations are the two areas we are taking action in.

Latest resources

Back