• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar Cargo Help PLEASE!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are correct Chewy. There was something contractually that did not allow or made it to costly for ABXA to fly Transcons. I'm not sure who approached who first, but 1224 and Hete struck a deal. The end result was that by 1224 agreeing to amend their contract, ABXA assumed all the transcon flying.

That is about as PC as I can put it.

OK, we're busted. We voted by an overwhelming majority to fly the Trans Con contract for free because we all love NY, the wonderfully friendly people that live there and the endless supply of moist-yet-crumbly pound cake that's to be had for free at the 5 Towns Motor Inn.

Foggy the other night wasn't it? Everyone hear how we had two DC9s and a 767 taxi into the mud because of the low visibility?

You know, it occurs to me that you folks from ABX are right; You do recover a huge bundle of flights for Astar. Dozens and dozens of recoveries for Astar every month.

It really only makes sense when you think about it. Astar flies old planes that sometimes break down and need to get rescued so ABX gets the call.

Anyway, I guess the reason for ABX recovering Astar planes all the time is because they have so many extra idle airplanes that Astar does not have. The entire Astar fleet is busy hauling freight (when they're not broken) and there are no spare recovery planes just hanging around Wilmington looking for a place to go. ABX, on the other hand, has lots of planes sitting around ILN and CVG.

Hopefully, with the additional planes Astar's contract says they will be getting, Astar will be able to recover more of their own flights.

Better yet, maybe with the new fleet type Astar's contract has stipulated, they'll have better reliability and won't need to be rescued by ABX as often.

BTW, I would imagine that ABX planes break down sometimes, too; So how many of ABX's own planes does ABX recover every week?

'8

Last edited:
So exkuzme1, I bet you never knew asking about employment with a cargo outfit would come with so much baggage and dirty laundry. And you thought you were just looking for a job. :p It's the DHL adventure, baby! Don't just read about it, live it!

Last edited:
The only airplanes for Astar that are broken, are the ones damaged by Airborne Ground personnal running into them. How many damaged airplanes does ABX have? That's why your recovery numbers are so high. It is really an indicator of how many of our aircraft ABX ground have torn up. Just ask ground school Phil.

Last edited:
I like puppies.

I thought the last post silly enough for this thread. Good luck whatever you choose exkuzme1.

side letters

Nitefr8dog, a question for you. Didn't ABX pilots vote yes, in a sideletter to the contract, to take away the transcon from Astar? Details, please.

The only side letter that the ABX Pilot Membership has voted on in recent memory was the one attached to our failed Tentative agreement that would allow the Company to staff KIX flying out of ILN with a 23 day/on schedule. There have been no other side letters voted on that I can recall. The big problem is that DHL has muddied the waters so much by taking Astar flying and giving it full or part time to ABX and vice versa. It is hard to keep up with which trip belongs to whom. The IAH trip is a good example. It was originally an Astar trip but it has been flown by ABX as a charter for at least six months. Eventually it may end up back in the Astar bid pack but who knows. DTW was ABX but now Astar, BOS was Astar but now ABX, MCO was ABX but will be Astar as TPA was Astar but will soon be ABX. I think you can see the pattern here. It is quite a challenge for the pilot groups to keep up with much less the crew schedulers. On top of this ABX has lost two cities and two airplanes to Canadian CargoJet as they have taken over Calgary and Vancouver. To my knowlege those two DC-9's have not been reassigned. Did I mention that Astar has lost MIA-ILN-MIA to Capital Air Cargo. This could be a temporary thing, hopefully, as they complete a C Check on an Astar B727-200F. As you can see it really is a true mess. Not really an effective and efficient way to run an air service network in the long run!

Which is it? ? ?

OK, we're busted. We voted by an overwhelming majority to fly the Trans Con contract for free because we all love NY, the wonderfully friendly people that live there and the endless supply of moist-yet-crumbly pound cake that's to be had for free at the 5 Towns Motor Inn.

I'm a little confused Heavyet. Are you sarcastically saying that I am correct? Or are you trying to cover up the fact that I am correct with sarcasm. Which is it?

Latest resources

Back