• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar Cargo Help PLEASE!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One other thing to consider is that if you commute there is no scheduled airline service into Wilmington. You have to fly into DAY, CVG or CMH and then make your own way to Wilmington. It's about 80 miles from CVG. Just recently AStar started some kind of van service from CVG to Wilmington. I don't know the particulars.

Funny FAJ, I re-read that post a couple times and did not find anywhere in it where I expressed and ongoing concern for DHL's costs nor did I indicate anything along the lines of what you infer.

I think if you look closely, you will see simply that all I did was state a fact, that DHL is hemorrhaging cash.
Funny that JJ. But you must concede that while an author might mean one thing, his intended audience might take it another way. I see your stated fact that "DHL is hemorrhaging cash". But your fact is preceded with the statement: "but with all these great improvements you guys got with the new CBA which will surely drive costs up". I might have stretched it a bit, but it surely was not a leap of faith. It's just that I'm part of that "intended audience" and that's the way I perceived it.

I just am more than a little curious as to what the rush was and the sudden change of heart. I know I would be if I were in your shoes. Of course as hvydriver so eloquently put it, you guys are obviously in the loop from the mothership and sitting pretty. Us pigfarmers, well we may not belong to that wonderful ALPA outfit or dress as nice as ya'll, but we still have mouths to feed and are more than a little irked to potentially see big job losses.

Was it the fact they wanted it done before ya'll found out how much money Daz made on the sale?

Could it be that they really don't care what they signed if they are not planning on having to deal with that contract much longer?
JJ, you know as well as I that there are numerous folks on this and other boards, from both sides of the field, that believe their side is "obviously in the loop from the mothership and sitting pretty" as you so eloquently put it. The fact is that people at our pay grade don't know squat.
As for the timing and how we got (and what we didn't get), I can only guess that we waited Mgt out. They knew the timeline and we were only guessing. But we guessed right.

I only know two things that I can hang my hat on:
1) We too have mouths to feed and we as much as you are more than a little concerned about the potential for job losses.
2) Gray washes we out;)

I was particullary enthralled with the boasting of a poster in some other thread that "DHL themselves signed off on the scope". How did that work out for you last time? Think it will be different this time?

Fair enough. But we can only control what is in our power to control. I personally believe that we would have prevailed and got exactly what our Scope grievance called for, a date with Mgt across the table with an Arbiter. Nothing more, nothing less. The problem became, do we wait 5 to 7 more years for that and prostrate ourselves before the Arbiter, or do we become a little more proactive and deal with this now. Understand, it's still just a hunch.

All that said, I do expect a fair raise and full retro. No signing bonuses here.
We all hope you guys do well also. Practically speaking it only benefits us also.

I am concerned about the future of this place obviously. However, we (pilots) are a fraction of the cost of doing business. If they can't afford to compensate us fairly then maybe they really should rethink the whole operation.
We all should be as concerned as you are. And I couldn't agree with more about how we are compensated.

FAJ

Just to throw my 2 cents in at my last B.U. during grd. school Phil from maintence came to talk to us about anything going on in maint. I asked him that very question. He said year to date ABX had recovered 96 flights for Astar. Astar had recoverd 4 for Abx. None of these where due to WX. The flights ABX flys to airports for Astar that are CatII are in addition to these. He said they due a 3 way call every morning with DP. ABX Astar about every delay or recovery. Which is why I do not believe DP is interesed in saving money!

I can tell you that this is completely not true. And as I ponder this whole idea of who recovers who I realize that it makes no difference. I'm sure the only reason this keeps getting brought up is because of a need for abx guys to try and justify why they think DHL needs them and Astar can't do the job. We can argue that point all day. If the tables were turned I would probably feel the same fear and frustration that you do. So lets get back to this thread. Training announced in ground school that Astar will be hiring 25 to 40 new hires in the next 7 months. These classes will include Captain and First Officer upgrades as well (although they would not say how many at this time). Current pilots are going to be asked to set aside vacation for a big push this summer. Postings for new instructor positions will be out next week. Airline hiring as a whole is down due to age 60 rule so say what you will about Astar, I'd rather be on the front side of the hiring than on the back.

Could this Astar hiring and "big push" be to create a training pad/bubble for the purpose of bringing on an as yet un-announced new aircraft type, and then furlough these unfortunates as the pressure relieves itself and SO's are trained to the right seat?

I was always worried that this would happen at Fedex & UPS if one were to go there during past hiring episodes; it never did, but then there's something to be said for having your own freight system.

As we all know anything is possible, however the new contract prevents them from furloughing for the next 2 years. As we are short crewmembers we are not short this many so I really don't know what their plans are for the next year. Most of us were expecting just a few new hires so we are as surprised as everyone else. I think we will hear something soon. Dasburg doesn't spend any money without a plan.

Nitefr8dog, a question for you. Didn't ABX pilots vote yes, in a sideletter to the contract, to take away the transcon from Astar? Details, please.

Last edited:
Still waiting for that link that proves your numbers!!!! You put it out there now be a man and back up your facts!

96 to 3 sounds about right.... I knew the disparity was large but mannnnn..........

I can tell you that this is completely not true. And as I ponder this whole idea of who recovers who I realize that it makes no difference. I'm sure the only reason this keeps getting brought up is because of a need for abx guys to try and justify why they think DHL needs them and Astar can't do the job. We can argue that point all day. If the tables were turned I would probably feel the same fear and frustration that you do. So lets get back to this thread. Training announced in ground school that Astar will be hiring 25 to 40 new hires in the next 7 months. These classes will include Captain and First Officer upgrades as well (although they would not say how many at this time). Current pilots are going to be asked to set aside vacation for a big push this summer. Postings for new instructor positions will be out next week. Airline hiring as a whole is down due to age 60 rule so say what you will about Astar, I'd rather be on the front side of the hiring than on the back.

Only one thing is for sure here folks.......somebody's being mislead. I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough.

Good luck.

Nitefr8dog, a question for you. Didn't ABX pilots vote yes, in a sideletter to the contract, to take away the transcon from Astar? Details, please.

You are correct Chewy. There was something contractually that did not allow or made it to costly for ABXA to fly Transcons. I'm not sure who approached who first, but 1224 and Hete struck a deal. The end result was that by 1224 agreeing to amend their contract, ABXA assumed all the transcon flying.

That is about as PC as I can put it.

Latest resources

Back