Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xkuzme1

As previously briefed!
I have an interview this coming Tuesday. I have some big decisions to make and I am looking to educate myself further.

Q) How long on the panel? I know there are a bunch of ROPES that cant upgrade. How does/will that effect the upgrades to the FO slots?

Q) Basic company outlook? Privately held, it is hard to learn about some of the dynamics of the company when they do not answer to stockholders.

Q) Is the training done via AQP or is it traditional?

Q) How do you feel about job security?

Q) How is commuting? MCI info would be great?

Q) Crash pads needed?

Q) How are the insurance benefits.

They are hiring for an APR 4 class. My second son is supposed to be born on March 27th. I am a little stressed out right now.

Any other information that you think would be good to know and help me make my decision is much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!

Xkuzme

I'm going to defer to our "younger" pilots for most of your questions. This is a good company, with a great bunch of pilots, and we are supposed to be refleeting soon, and increase the current fleet size by 10 a/c. To buy off on this as an absolute would violate my rule about aircraft purchases: Never believe it unless you're in the seat and hear V1. If they do not do it, then you're going to be an FE for a minimum of 10 years.

Having said that, there are no furlough provisions for 2 years from this month, (the DOS of our new CBA)and a clause stating Astar will not be drawn down below our current fleet size (43) unless DHL goes below that number of a/c utilized in the US. Pay first year will be less than what you make as a Capt. flying that electric jet, maybe longer. If you come into it with your eyes open, and keep your feelers out for anything better that might come along, then it could be an ok deal for you. Just don't get sucked into the good work schedules and let a few years slide by as an FE if we don't refleet. That could be fatal to your career.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the info.

X

How many did they say they were hiring? No one really knows the answers to most of those questions. A crashpad is probably needed for a while. Insurance is ok. Hvydriver pretty much summed it up. Some Ropes will be upgrading...How many..I am not sure? Guess would be 20 to 30.. I am sure some will settle for the F/O seat. Others Captain.. We will see.

Last edited:
If you enjoy flying an airplane, being an engineer for 9-13 years will torpedo your career, no one wants to interview you. ASTAR Is a good company but we are an ACMI carrier and have no core product, our current ACMI with DHL runs to 2019 after that who knows. Good guys to work, great time off, not flying an airplane for 10 years, Priceless!

Q) How long on the panel? I know there are a bunch of ROPES that cant upgrade. How does/will that effect the upgrades to the FO slots?

Like anything else, it's dynamic. The guys at the top waiting for a right seat are 9.5-10 years. If I upgrade in the next 2 years, I'd be in my 9th year. We have some ropes that are getting ready to punch out. Many plan on waiting for left seat and bypassing right seat.

Q) Basic company outlook? Privately held, it is hard to learn about some of the dynamics of the company when they do not answer to stockholders.

Depends on who you talk to. Read the Yahoo Finance message boards on ABX, and you read of our impending demise due to our inefficient aircraft, requirement for catering on certain flights, and lack of innovation in the "express" industry by not having "C" container loading systems. That being said, all indicators are that DP is very appreciative of John Dasburg and his influence, financially, politically, etc. He has made a LOT of money here. He and his investors, paid $57mill for the company three years ago, and last year sold 49% of it back to DHL for $120Mill. Hans Hickler, CEO DHL US, is on the board. DHL has screwed the pooch in a lot of ways over the last few years. We have advised them against some moves they've done anyway, but at the end of the day, we know that they are the customer and we do what they want very well....so they're happy with us.

Q) Is the training done via AQP or is it traditional?

AQP

Q) How do you feel about job security?

Other than UPS and FedEx, about as good as it gets, but YMMV. "Security" is a myth.

Q) How is commuting? MCI info would be great?

Again, bout as good as it gets. Seat protected on both AStar and ABX aircraft, i.e. flight doesn't make it in on a DHL aircraft you are on, or CASS fails, or whatever, regarding you not making it in on DHL aircraft, no explanation in the model airplane museum (CP's office). Also, we are CASS, it costs $50 for a two year parking pass at CVG and many of us keep cars there and commute in and out of CVG and drive to ILN. Also, company just started complimentary 7 day a week, multiple time a day van service between CVG and ILN. I have commuted for 8 years and think it's a breeze.

I left corporate avaiation, (for the most part) 8 years ago for DHL. I miss, modern equipment, company expense accounts, some sweet layovers, probably more days off, a higher paycheck than what I make now, (assuming I wouldn't be in the middle of a flight dept. closing), and flying with my favorite captain....or just flying.

I like, the possibilities here. I enjoy the lack of political BS that goeson in most corporate depts. Flying in classics is kinda cool. Really enjoyed the intnl. ops when we did more of it. Once you get tot the right seat, pay is about as good as it gets now. 401K company contributions are "insane" compared to what other industries or airlines have. Bennies are good. Vacation and time off, incredible, (this year, three times a year by combining vacation with creative bidding, I'll have three, month long vacations. Year ten that goes to 4.)

Bottom line, as a S/O, it's a good job, but pay sucks when compared to other "positions" in the aviation industry. Once you hit the right seat, you'd be hard pressed to make that kind of money, with those kind of bennies, and that amount of time off.

Good luck and congrats on the new addition.

Wow, thanks for the help. That gives me a lot more to think about.

X

_____I just got a call this AM for an interview next mon, tue or wed. Class would be April 7th, not 4th as stated by someone earlier.
_
_____I have not been paying attention to ASTAR recently, due to the negotiating chaos. I would love to leave the Part 121 Passenger business behind, since it is so unstable. I need to find out more about ASTAR and quick.
_
_____I have a job offer at US Airways, but no class date, yet. I don't know what to do, but would love the option and anyone's friendly advice.

AV8or, I think that is a pretty irresponsible post. I guess you buy into what is being said on Yahoo, huh?

Seriously for all interested I would try and wait to make a decision until the verdict is handed down from DHL this May. Things could be getting VERY ugly in the US for DHL.

Seriously for all interested I would try and wait to make a decision until the verdict is handed down from DHL this May. Things could be getting VERY ugly in the US for DHL.

The only way it will get ugly for Astar is if DHL draws down the entire US air network below our current fleet level. (43 jets) The hiring for now is to bring the SO numbers up to where they need to be.

Latest resources

Back