• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar announces new hire class in Oct.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, and I love your DHL DC-9s. Are they fun to fly over there? They are yours, right? Or are the ABXs? Nevermind.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee,

It appears you do not understand the DHL ACMI idea. DHL cannot own an airline in the U.S. They contract (ACMI) out their lift to AStar, ABX, Polar, NorthWest etc..

Each company is separate, and run independently from each other. The Astar guys cannot fly an ABX 9 or a Northwest 74. The aircraft are painted in DHL colors but go by their companies call signs. To put it in passenger carrier lingo think of Comair or SkyWest to Delta. The RJ's are painted in Delta colors but they are a separate company (or at least they used to be.) A Delta pilot cannot go fly an RJ because it is a separate company.

Your argument was flawed in that way, yet it is a valid point. I do not believe that anyone would choose to go to Astar over Delta. I also believe that no one would choose any DHL ACMI carrier over Delta, at this time. If DHL can get their act together an become a "player" in the express cargo industry then I do believe that people would leave the coveted Delta for a combined ABX/AStar, but only if they can handle the night freight lifestyle.

They are two very different industries with Pro's and Con's to each one. I doubt a "Delta" poster boy would be happy flying cargo, be it DHL, FedEx or even UPS. There are just too many differences.

General Lee,

It appears you do not understand the DHL ACMI idea. DHL cannot own an airline in the U.S. They contract (ACMI) out their lift to AStar, ABX, Polar, NorthWest etc..

Each company is separate, and run independently from each other. The Astar guys cannot fly an ABX 9 or a Northwest 74. The aircraft are painted in DHL colors but go by their companies call signs. To put it in passenger carrier lingo think of Comair or SkyWest to Delta. The RJ's are painted in Delta colors but they are a separate company (or at least they used to be.) A Delta pilot cannot go fly an RJ because it is a separate company.

Your argument was flawed in that way, yet it is a valid point. I do not believe that anyone would choose to go to Astar over Delta. I also believe that no one would choose any DHL ACMI carrier over Delta, at this time. If DHL can get their act together an become a "player" in the express cargo industry then I do believe that people would leave the coveted Delta for a combined ABX/AStar, but only if they can handle the night freight lifestyle.

They are two very different industries with Pro's and Con's to each one. I doubt a "Delta" poster boy would be happy flying cargo, be it DHL, FedEx or even UPS. There are just too many differences.

No, I actually do understand the DHL concept. I am just making a point to the guy I was slamming, flyinboxes. Also, I don't think DHL will ever get too big in the US, since UPS and Fedex will continue to dominate. Astar has the oldest planes of the operators, and has been pushed around the most (losing CVG). Potential newhires should monitor that. And, initially I stated that I hated the 727 FE postion, not Astar. I actually was an engineer, and I can make that point since I did it. Flyinboxes is just jealous and obviously tired from his late nights. I guess I can understand that, well, not really.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I know for a fact that FlyinBoxes is jealous of no one, and he never seems tired. He is a stand up guy defending a company he is proud to work for.

General, if DL is so great, why are you spending time on an ASTAR thread slamming everyone who works there (and ABX too). I would think if you are so happy there at DL, you would have better things to do with your time.

Hey look. Here's the deal. AStar's hiring. It's pretty good pay and bennies. We fly old stuff, which is actually kinda cool in some ways. You'll have to start sideways, which does kinda suck, (been that way myself for 5.5 years), and it's not the job you got into aviation for. Hopefully we're headed in a direction that a new hire here will see enough growth over the next few years that they won't have to sit sideways as long as some of us have, but given the time line to ramp up you're probably looking at minimum 2 years sideways. When you do upgrade, you'll get a pretty good block of refresher training and sim work to get you up to speed. We have had maybe, a couple guys in the years I've been here not make it through upgrade from the back seat, and at least one of 'em was hired years and years ago, has failed it several times, and in his past life had no jet time and not much instrument time. (Gen. Lee, apparently the skill level of our S/O's is sufficient to pass a DC-8 F/O type after 6 years in the back. Our psych eval is,... while blindfolded, we see if they can fully button a double breasted coat while being barraged with questions on how to get to concourse C in CVG. If they put up with the questions long enough to get the jacket fully buttoned,... they fail.)

So don't worry about out being able to fly when you upgrade unless you meet the min quals when you get here, then it might be little more challenging.

If you can get on at UPS or FedEx before here...go. If you get on here and get hired there in the first two years....look into it and maybe go.

Some folks can't hack the dark thirty flying, but if you ever dreamed of being an international heavy Cpt flying across the pond, trust me, you're gonna be flying at night.

No flight attendants, but hey, let's be realistic, for a lot of reaons, that hasn't been what it used to be for a long time.

We're just like everybody else. What's going on today, (growth, upgrades, newhires, etc.) can speed up and slow down for reasons out of our control. It'll be that way for you wherever you go. Read up on us and apply if you like. If you don't think it's for you, like he said, Delta's hiring. Heck, if they change age 60, you might even get to be in a new hire class over there with Whistlin' Dan. I bet he could pass that psych eval.

No, I actually do understand the DHL concept. I am just making a point to the guy I was slamming, flyinboxes. Also, I don't think DHL will ever get too big in the US, since UPS and Fedex will continue to dominate. Astar has the oldest planes of the operators, and has been pushed around the most (losing CVG). Potential newhires should monitor that. And, initially I stated that I hated the 727 FE postion, not Astar. I actually was an engineer, and I can make that point since I did it. Flyinboxes is just jealous and obviously tired from his late nights. I guess I can understand that, well, not really.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I did not take it as a slam. Your response is typical of a legacy carrier passenger pilot. Flying along as the world crumbles around him and then blaming national. Not realizing that WE, thats right ASTAR, UPS, FEDEX, and ABX are the ONLY ones left holding the bar. You have not helped us, none of you. I am far from jealous, but I won't waste time explaining to you while I would never leave here for there. Now I'm off to my 27 day vacation, my 3rd of the year. Cya.

I did not take it as a slam. Your response is typical of a legacy carrier passenger pilot. Flying along as the world crumbles around him and then blaming national. Not realizing that WE, thats right ASTAR, UPS, FEDEX, and ABX are the ONLY ones left holding the bar. You have not helped us, none of you. I am far from jealous, but I won't waste time explaining to you while I would never leave here for there. Now I'm off to my 27 day vacation, my 3rd of the year. Cya.

Not taking sides here, but I would not hold that "bar" blame too close to the legacy guys. They were just doing what had to be done for their airlines to survive because other pilot groups were working for peanuts and a shot at a flight attendant. I think those are the ones who need to be slammed for lowering that bar, not the legacy pilots (or cargo pilots you listed).

I know for a fact that FlyinBoxes is jealous of no one, and he never seems tired. He is a stand up guy defending a company he is proud to work for.

General, if DL is so great, why are you spending time on an ASTAR thread slamming everyone who works there (and ABX too). I would think if you are so happy there at DL, you would have better things to do with your time.

I comment on EVERY part of this industry. I enjoy every part, and I have an opinion, which you can debate if you wish. And, I enjoy this board. If you want me to not do something I enjoy, then all I can say is TOO BAD. I stated initially that it would suk to be an FE for years, and I have experience on the panel of the 727. Potential newhires should be warned. And I am happy at Delta and we are hiring.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow, that sounds great. I would say flying a 3 day to different cities in Europe on the company's dime would also be a "vacation" too. First of all, I don't blame National--they have had their hands full with our BKs. 9-11 really did a number on some legacies. As far as you guys holding the bar---I might agree with UPS and Fedex. Astar and ABX have kept the higher pay, but have been pummled and are a shell of their former selves. Their CVG hub has been shut down, their integration has been messy and cloudy, and the company size and growth is in question. A clear whipsaw is in effect at Astar/ABX. I wouldn't call that a favorable outcome at all. Sure, your rates are still high, but most of your flying is not desirable.
DHL tried to make a go at being a large number 3, but that seems to be waning now. Flying an old DC9 to Tri-Cities even at a high rate doesn't appeal to me at all, and the FE seat is even worse. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to that seat, and even stay there for multiple years. No thanks. And, Astar/ABX is not in the same bucket as UPS and Fedex. Really.... have fun on your long vacation.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
duplicate post.

Latest resources

Back