• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar announces new hire class in Oct.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Astar must be about the only company these days hiring SOs exclusively. I guess that's an ALPA thing. Most other airlines that I'm aware of that still fly three seaters (the proper cockpit configuration...) these days hire PFEs, or PFEs with a few SOs mixed in. I guess it'll happen someday, but I don't really look forward to not having a professional oiler in that third seat.

Either way, I wish I had taken that interview with DHL in early 2001 instead of sticking with the other loser company that employed me in the short term then. Of course, if I had that kind of crystal ball, I wouldn't have to work right now if I didn't want to :) . I might have actually been in a front seat there by now, too!

To the curious......

The funny thing about Astar is that it is a pretty good job.

If you consider it for what it is. It is not Delta....It is not United....but it is a job that pays, you can retire on a fat 401k (Biggest out there)...lottsa time off/vac/ 4 star hotels...wayyyy too easy to get a day off...etc.
And just poach off the reserve system if you don't wanna fly a lot, but still make a lot of scratch.You have to be able to see through the bs...like old airplanes and check in for a CASS somewhere and they say.."Who is Ass-tar?"....

There is NO comparison between Astar and Delta. Nobody in his right mind is sitting somewhere, looking at job offers from both companies, and trying to decide which one to take.

Fact-Prior to 9/11, guys were going to Delta that were within 1-2 years year of holding the left seat at Astar.

Fact-Most guys who are offered jobs at Delta take them. Not so at Astar.

Fact-Astar has had over 30 people (mostly junior, but including one Captain), leave in the last year. Ther are a lot more who would like to leave but can't, for financial reasons. The ones who did leave were are all people who came in, took a look around, and decided to "get, while the gettin' was good." That's not exactly a vote of confidence from people who should know, and it will affect the quality (and tenure) of people who accept the jobs that are now being offered.
Sounds like your second, third, fourth, and maybe even fifth years may be sitting sideways.
According to that "other" message board, it's more like 8 years. With the trend towards 2-man cockpits and the pending change to the age-60 rule, it's extremely unlikely that those numbers will improve anytime soon.

Pay and bennies- Yea, the pay for Astar S/O's is OK, but it doesn't compare to UPS. UPs drivers, that is.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2003-10-14-ups_x.htm

The biggest drawbacks to working the panel at Astar are that it won't get you an interview at UPS, it won't make you as much money as working for most of the other ACMI carriers, and it won't leave you qualified to work anyplace else.

Last edited:
There is NO comparison between Astar and Delta. Nobody in his right mind is sitting somewhere, looking at job offers from both companies, and trying to decide which one to take.

Fact-Prior to 9/11, guys were going to Delta that were within 1-2 years year of holding the left seat at Astar.

Fact-Most guys who are offered jobs at Delta take them. Not so at Astar.

Fact-Astar has had over 30 people (mostly junior, but including one Captain), leave in the last year. Ther are a lot more who would like to leave but can't, for financial reasons. The ones who did leave were are all people who came in, took a look around, and decided to "get, while the gettin' was good." That's not exactly a vote of confidence from people who should know, and it will affect the quality (and tenure) of people who accept the jobs that are now being offered.
According to that "other" message board, it's more like 8 years. With the trend towards 2-man cockpits and the pending change to the age-60 rule, it's extremely unlikely that those numbers will improve anytime soon.

Pay and bennies- Yea, the pay for Astar S/O's is OK, but it doesn't compare to UPS. UPs drivers, that is.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2003-10-14-ups_x.htm

The biggest drawbacks to working the panel at Astar are that it won't get you an interview at UPS, it won't make you as much money as working for most of the other ACMI carriers, and it won't leave you qualified to work anyplace else.

Talk about delusional. LMAO.

With respect for you too, we have what is called an EICAS, which pretty much takes care of the FE. It's great that your contract forbids furloughing, but remember we had a no furlough clause too and 9-11 happened. Your merge or whatever you call it with ABX has cut back on your flying and closed your main base at CVG. Things haven't been too peachy over there, and your sister ABX has furloughed. You never know what will happen, so never say never. Going to Astar and sitting in the FE seat for 4 years and then getting furloughed with no additional flight time could be a waste of time for some potential newhires. That is what I am trying to point out here. I am also giving my own personal opinion on a postion (FE) that I actually experienced.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You will furlough again, the fundamentals of DL are still rotten. Management will reach deep into your pockets once again when they need to and you will give just like last time. I'm glad I'm not at DL and you are glad your not at Astar as an FE. Have a good day.

No cuts over there? Huh? What happened to CVG? Gone. What happened to the whipsaw with ABX? You are dillusional. I guess it is great for you to hold mach .80 until a 2 mile final being the only plane out there at 5am. Great. Also, being number 20 for takeoff and flying at .76 actually makes you more money. And, for your information, we didn't lose any work rules in our BK, and we also got checks for about $180,000 for our claim sale after BK. Our first year pay is better than most too, and second year is a $25 an hour jump in some cases. Sounds like your second, third, fourth, and maybe even fifth years may be sitting sideways. Regardless, sitting in the FE seat for a long period of time absolutely suks, and you will probably forget how to fly. Have fun out there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You ranted all about his second point, but you never answered his question.

Well, did the freakin' shrink blow his head off or not? I heard this as well but wondered if it was just urban legend.

You will furlough again, the fundamentals of DL are still rotten. Management will reach deep into your pockets once again when they need to and you will give just like last time. I'm glad I'm not at DL and you are glad your not at Astar as an FE. Have a good day.

Wow, you sound like a CNBC financial GENIUS. Riiiight. The "fundamentals", huh? Getting our debt down from $20 billion to $7.5 billion wasn't good, eh? Bringing costs down and cutting leases (some MD88 leases went from $280,000 a month to $80,000). Our "fundamentals" are better than almost every legacy out there. We are adding 17 757s from AA, probably some MD90s from China for domestic use, and atleast 6 777LRs next year too. But, you know better...... Thank gawd I am NOT over there at Astar, flying that clunky 727 sideways. Really. No, really. See you in CV.....oh, nevermind. Oh, and I love your DHL DC-9s. Are they fun to fly over there? They are yours, right? Or are the ABXs? Nevermind.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
You ranted all about his second point, but you never answered his question.

Well, did the freakin' shrink blow his head off or not? I heard this as well but wondered if it was just urban legend.

I think the guy did comitt suicide, but that was a long time ago. That guy wasn't there in 96 when I did it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think the guy did comitt suicide, but that was a long time ago. That guy wasn't there in 96 when I did it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Are you sure? I heard about it around the summer 2000 time frame. A guy I flew with was turned down and the psych eval is where he didn't cut it. I guess he and some other guys were going to file suit.

The grounds would have been; "This jackhole is supposed to be determining if people are "psychologically fit" to fly for DAL, but then he goes and blows his own head off. So exactly WTF made him able to decide?" Or something like that.

Latest resources

Back