• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asiana 777 crashed on landing at SFO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know it is jumping to conclusions, but there is a lot of evidence suggesting that this crew was not well trained and able to adapt to the situation of a visual approach without GS, (read the pprune thread). Like it or not the Asian carriers have a history of only training there pilots to be computer operators, and there pilots have very little stick and rudder time.

That being said, my concern now is that we have SFO open again and heavy aircraft (many from Asian carriers), operating with only a 1R for takeoff, and 19L for landing. To me this could be a problem.

It is not just the Asian carriers...

Scott

Ah, the dreaded hand-flown visual approach in a blistering 7 knot quartering headwind in daylight conditions with no ceiling....could have gotten any of us...there but for the grace of god....

The finger pointing. The blame. The "I can't believe what an idiot..." It all needs to stop. One of the greatest things Jesus ever said was "Let he among you without sin cast the first stone". I can't believe how many go ahead and throw them. I'm sure I speak for many of you besides myself when I say the only reason we have not had an accident ourselves is because we knew what not to do because someone ahead of us learned the hard way.
I notice that accidents tend to come in 3's. So before anyone starts acting like Superpilot, look out or YOU may be number 2 or 3.

Actually I would say that the networks are run by very smart people. The issue is that their intent is not to be accurate or informative. Their goal is to get the audience to watch the advertisements.

Scott

That is one of their goals. Propaganda, disinformation and controlling public opinion are higher goals.

Why do you think it is that most newspapers lose so much money? If ad revenue was job 1 this would not happen.

Wake Turbulence from ANA8 777-800?
Landed just before Asiana.
Passengers described shaking on final.
Impact (tail first) on Sea wall right of centerline
And length of debris field and travel indicate
Significant forward velocity.
Without GS/PAPI, ANA8 could have had a high
Descent path while Asiana had a lower glide path
And encountered ANA8's wake?

After six pages, extremely disappointed no one
Else has suggested this.

100-1/2

Wake Turbulence from ANA8 777-800?
Landed just before Asiana.
Passengers described shaking on final.
Impact (tail first) on Sea wall right of centerline
And length of debris field and travel indicate
Significant forward velocity.
Without GS/PAPI, ANA8 could have had a high
Descent path while Asiana had a lower glide path
And encountered ANA8's wake?

After six pages, extremely disappointed no one
Else has suggested this.

100-1/2

Extremely disappointed that you think there is a 777-800.

From the NTSB briefing just help, data pulled from the CVR and FDR show they were "significantly" below target speed of 137 knots, there was no call regarding low airspeed until 7 seconds prior to impact, they got the stick shaker 4 seconds prior, and go-around was called 1.5 seconds prior to impact. FDR shows engines responded normally.

-300? But hey, why I love this board soooooo much. Someone makes sense with a logical suggestion and like clockwork, there you are.

100-1/2

Latest resources

Back