• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asiana 777 crashed on landing at SFO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's an accurate eye witness account. This should clear things up...

“The tail was too low. Instead of coming in flat it was coming in at, I would say, maybe a 45-degree angle, with the tail far too low,” she said. “It really went through quite a few acrobatics on the runway.”

If you click this link and select SFO final app you can hear Asiana 214 before the control tower. Choose the time starting at 18z. Unfornunatly ATC transmissions are not heard. But the Asiana pilot seems relaxed. After hearing the other control tower transmission where somebody yelled "go around" and suddenly a new more serious sounding ATC took over. I believe the plane crash at that moment and the pilot of Asiana 214 was transmitting from the ground afterwards ( although I don't understand him). The controller states all emergency vehicles are on their way. I not sure this was a emergency aircraft prior to the crash but I could be wrong.

http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=ksfo_twr

I've been in there recently. They've been re-working both of those thresholds. See the black marks that have painted over the old threshold on both runways?

When I landed there recently, 28L was closed (still working on it) and 28R was open....GS OTS. We had to do a LOC approach at an international airport. Do-able for sure, but a little strange for the airport size.

I'm wondering two things....did they have the GS for 28L re-certified yet after changing the threshold? Same question about the PAPI.

These things can happen when the FAA and/or the Airport authority decide on some major change to the airport. The pilots should have still had the airmen skills to land.....but still.

I saw a picture of the evacuation, evidently taken by a Samsung exec who was a passenger. At the time the fire looked as if it was only on the right side of the aircraft, the fueslage was largely intact, and the slides were deployed.

And there were two female passengers walking away from the wreckage......WITH THEIR CARRY ON LUGGAGE.

Where is the face palm icon?

Sad to see two killed and dozens injured but it was a pretty good job by the cabin crew of evacuation before the fire really got going and CFR was on scene quickly.

Meanwhile, I will choose to ignore the TV know-nothings and wait for the NTSB to weigh in.

Last edited:
The all knowing source of news channel 4 in LA.. just reported that 61 people are missing?? Huh... God these news people really need to stick to high speed chases...

The SFO spokesman was really quick to end the presser once the question was asked "if the glideslope was working". All he said was the skies were clear and pilots were shooting visual approaches.

From what I hear in the tape, it sounds like the accident is called in the background before the go-around call that is blocked by the Cessna. The go-around call sounds like the RJ behind the Asiana 214.

Latest resources

Back