• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA/XJT update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is this JM guy a regional lifer? If so, explains everything.

Can someone explain "lifer" to me?

Does that mean that if someone likes their job and keeps it they are a loser because someone else wants their job and they should move on or be unemployed so this someone else can have their job?

Yea, never got that one. Some guys make a living flying a King Air or Beech Jet. Is that a problem? Are they inferior because they like that job. Also, why is it assumed that if don't go off to a major - like we are all so entitled to do - that you must have a dui or failed a bunch of check rides?

"My crappy career bas been crappier than your crappy career"

Can someone explain "lifer" to me?

Does that mean that if someone likes their job and keeps it they are a loser because someone else wants their job and they should move on or be unemployed so this someone else can have their job?

Yea, never got that one. Some guys make a living flying a King Air or Beech Jet. Is that a problem? Are they inferior because they like that job. Also, why is it assumed that if don't go off to a major - like we are all so entitled to do - that you must have a dui or failed a bunch of check rides?

I would never actually look badly on somebody who is seen as a lifer because thats their decision, but they bring a different attitude to the party thats for sure. We have them on the ERJ side too, possibly more so than the CRJ side.

Guys that are looked at as "lifers" at a regional dont ever seem like they want to "rock the boat" AT ALL in case it messes up their schedule or pay or whatever even if it means throwing most everybody else under the bus or telling people to play the game or take concessions. Lots of them dont even understand why somebody would want to go somewhere else since their company is the best company ever(heard this numerous times from "lifers" at XJT). They are on easy street and want to stay that way. I cant say I blame them, but it is such a small minority in the regionals and I would venture a guess that the majority of regional pilots do not think that way, I certainly do not. While I want to make sure those guys are protected in their cushy schedules and what not(which generally happens automatically for them anyway due to their seniority), I also want to look out for the junior guys on reserve, which those guys could care less about(at least in my experience in flying with them). I had one guy tell me point blank "Why should I care about reserve rules, I will NEVER be on reserve at this company again" when we were talking about the current contract negotiations.

For those who say XJT is being unreasonable, asking for too much, etc, as far as I know, the MECs have both agreed on what to negotiate for in every single section of the contract except PBS vendor. So if our side is being unreasonable, wouldn't that mean your side has agreed to it as well?

We like our PBS. We like our PBS vendor. Then you unreasonable dicks come along.

I thought it was "ASA" that bought us. So how is it that we came along? Your statement has no basis in logic, as usual. On top of the fact that you didn't even comment on my post about both MECs apparently agreeing to be "unreasonable" in negotiations. But you rather call names instead.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back