• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA/XJT MEC conflict

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to say it, but the ASA pilots have more in common with the Skywest pilots than they do with the XJT pilots.

Ha ha. You can say that again. If you are a good example then you might as well not have a union.

I can't believe you're taking "industry standard" as a basis for anything. Please tell me you are ASA management, here to "lower expectations".

Last edited:
Oops! Ya, I meant that they probably WONT ratify any concessionary TA. Sorry.

And neither will this ASA pilot, who's already voted NO on the last 2 items, our last contract and PBS. Concessionary doesn't always mean sacrificing pay. There's quite a bit that we can improve as a pilot group that wont cost the company a dime, and that should be a given, already. We (the regional industry) wont make mainline money for flying RJ's...if you think we are, you're high. I'm as much a management guy as I am a labor guy. I want a job, particularly at a mainline carrier, so whats good for us is bad for mainline, and vice versa. Management SHOULD make the decisions that allow us to make money for the airline WHILE balancing the employee quality of life. It works in the private sector at places like Amazon and even to a degree at Southwest.

"It doesnt matter how we got here." That quote is probably more true than we care to admit. The fact is we are and not a lot we can do about it, unless one of us sits in the puzzle palace with a stick and hits management for every bad decision they make. We fly RJ's, maybe at a profit, maybe at a loss, whatever. The regional model has changed. It's not an "up and out" philosophy anymore. SH came into recurrent years ago and said "if you're here more than 6 years you're costing too much money." That model MUST change. This place (insert regional here) COULD be a good place to be if we make it that way. We have the union because there is such a mistrust between management and labor. Until that gets changed, which won't happen, we make the best of it. We should secure a better contract which fixes things that we have issues with. It doesn't have to be monetarily.

If you make reserve attractive, very senior pilots might bid it which will reduce cost....if you allow reserve to be used the way it was intended..for sick calls only. If you allow flex time, people can take the first round trip or any round trip for personal needs with 10-12 hours advanced notice without ANY occurrance and get paid. That will cut down sick calls. In theory, reserves should NEVER fly. Then we can tackle the hourly pay issue.

If this contract doesnt improve the QOL of this place in general, including for reserves and senior pilots and maintain profitability, shut this place down.

I think many r starring to regret that WE BOUGHT U!
Should have just let XJT run it's course (Independence Air) & picked up the peaces after the implosion.
Now u guys r going to screw it up for all of us. Think u guys easily forget the path u were on before WE BOUGHT U! U should remember that.

I really wish that SkyWest inc hadn't bought us. ASA didn't but anybody bucko, Inc did.

Get your facts right

Also, the fact that the pilots/ALPA needs to be in control. SH and team have such a hard on to not work with anything that they will screw everything up. Why not just allow the ALPA group one month to run it and make us happy and see how it works out. 6+ months of this crap and they still can't get a good solution.

Have you actually spoken to the ALPA guys who build the ALPA solutions? You clearly haven't. The company has used the ALPA solution several times, and it isn't any better. The schedules from Delta plus the work rules of the contract equal a crappy schedule.

Give Ken Armstrong a call. It might help you to understand a little.

Have you actually spoken to the ALPA guys who build the ALPA solutions? You clearly haven't. The company has used the ALPA solution several times, and it isn't any better. The schedules from Delta plus the work rules of the contract equal a crappy schedule.

Give Ken Armstrong a call. It might help you to understand a little.

100% agree. I have spoken with Ken multiple times and as mentioned before, sat with Alpa guys for multiple bids... even as recent as last month.... to make sure i was doing it right... and i love pbs. My schedule is the best it has ever been and have NO desire to ever go back to line bidding.

PBS is history. They can try for PBS in arbitration, but that will result in 20% D-0 and they know it, and the pilot groups remember how effective the fall of 2007 was. And don't believe for a second the company doesn't like PBS. They have always used reverse psychology as their number one negotiating tool. They just don't like the vacation options and are willing to gamble PBS as a whole to change the vacation rules.

ASA PBS is a good system, XE line-bidding is excellent, I'd be happy with either. The problem is the company.

XE PILOTS MUST UNDERSTAND IT'S NOT A MATTER OF MERELY KEEPING LINE-BIDDING, BUT NOT LETTING THE COMPANY SCREW WITH IT.

Also, not letting the CNC (primarily ASA) sell out the pilot group by letting the company have loose language.

PBS is history. They can try for PBS in arbitration, but that will result in 20% D-0 and they know it, and the pilot groups remember how effective the fall of 2007 was. And don't believe for a second the company doesn't like PBS. They have always used reverse psychology as their number one negotiating tool. They just don't like the vacation options and are willing to gamble PBS as a whole to change the vacation rules.

ASA PBS is a good system, XE line-bidding is excellent, I'd be happy with either. The problem is the company.

XE PILOTS MUST UNDERSTAND IT'S NOT A MATTER OF MERELY KEEPING LINE-BIDDING, BUT NOT LETTING THE COMPANY SCREW WITH IT.

Also, not letting the CNC (primarily ASA) sell out the pilot group by letting the company have loose language.

When do ASA pilots know their final schedule for the following month using PBS?

21st @5

Sucks!

Yep, XJT pilots have their schedule on about the 9th with small adjustments for transition conflicts (company can only adjust first 6 days of the month) or training by the 14th. Definitely good for planning things for the next month.

On the 14th, when the first trading window opens, you can drop your line to 60 hours and maximize your days off. So if you are a Junior line holder with only 12 days off and 85 hours of credit with all ********************ty 4 days, you can have 15 to 17 days off, with 85 hours of credit, and more commutable trips.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back