• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Uniform Enforcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm an airline pilot. The hat is an airline pilot's hat. No brainer: I wear it.

However, I'm certainly opposed to telling another adult what to do with regards to what they chose to either wear or not wear on their head.

Come on people, if you don't like the way someone is shooting the ILS, speak up. If you are not a fan of their uniform appearance, pipe down. It's a simple as that.

I'm an airline pilot. The hat is an airline pilot's hat. No brainer: I wear it.

However, I'm certainly opposed to telling another adult what to do with regards to what they chose to either wear or not wear on their head.

Come on people, if you don't like the way someone is shooting the ILS, speak up. If you are not a fan of their uniform appearance, pipe down. It's a simple as that.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Buy that man a beer!

I think some dudes look pimp stylin' in the hat.

Every airline has folks that don't like the hats and try not to wear them. But for my friends at ASA, consider this.

The pilots from ASA have had success getting hired in large numbers at DAL, FedEx, UPS, CAL, AirTran and other good operators because the perception amongst managers at these airlines that ASA pilots handle themselves well. ASA has an excellent training program and some of the ASA pilots have recieved publicity for their professionalism and doing a great job under adverse circumstances. The image of ASA pilots helps ASA pilots.

I understand not wanting to wear the hat when you are not included as part of the "team" and management craps on you. But, you simply need to rise to a higher professional standard than the rest of the operation.

This includes web boards. A debate on uniform attire, or even worse, IPOD usage while in 121 operations, should be kept in the crew room.

I think ASA pilots are pretty well respected and these sorts of debates have the potential to lower the esteem that ASA pilots are percieved to have earned.

It is a long winded elaboration of PCL's point, but in there is a little Disney in every passenger carrier operation. Being professional includes looking like the character the passengers expect to see.

Would anyone show up at a UPS interview and insult the brown? Would you tell Delta that double breasted is dorky and inconvenient to button? ASA is an airline job just like any of these.

Fins reminds me of an excellent point. This is an ASA thread. I'm not an ASA pilot. Best of luck to all ASA pilots on your TA.

I herewith retire from this battlefield.

(So few QX threads -- I sometimes feel a little left out.) :bawling:

Mr. BS is putting together the new uniform policy for SH that will be enforced shortly. Hats, name tags, no back packs, no slip on shoes, no cotton pants and woman no longer can wear high heels.

This should be good.

Agree with Marine too. When I was young say 1985 I used to be so star struck by the professionalism that pilots carried. Not a thing on the uniform out of place, hat jacket etc. Shoes shined. etc. I have nothing with listening to a ipod in cruise with the door closed but this business of mustard stain shirts needs to stop at one point. You spent alot of time getting there you can wear the uniform proud if you want to be treated like a professional.

I must admit I am a unifrom 'nazi' too..... you signed up to be an airline pilot.....if you dont like the uniform get another job :)

Where does it say in the FOM that slip on shoes are verboten? It specifies plain toed shoes, but I don't remember a requirement that there be shoelaces.

Good point, boots are allowed, therefore any slip on should be allowed!!

Trojan

ok, i'll play. to all you fat, slovenly sob's with the hats...most contracts also contain language pertaining to physical standards. lose about 30 lbs, quit smoking, stop drinking coffee by the gallon while crying about being nervous about your medical that's coming up, and mix in a freaking work out once in a while. you knew it was in the contract when you took the job, so you'd better be in compliance. when you take care of that, we can talk about my hat.

Screw the pilot hat, the only hat I'm interesting wearing would say "STANFORD" across the front of it.

Don't start with me you little "be0tch". I don't care how many stripes you wear on your shoulder, you will ALWAYS be my little B!tch.

Trojan

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back