ASA Uniform Enforcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reverse sesnsing.....

It doesn't matter your opinion on the hat. If it is company policy, wear it. Like I said, If your such a rebel, show up in jeans, Nikes and a T-shirt and prove it. All you have proven is it is really about vanity!

The hat looks the same on everyone that wears it. The whole "I look bad in the hat" thing is all in your head. Just put the danged thing on and look like a frickin' pilot. Is this really such a big deal? :rolleyes:

Have you been talking to my counselor? The hat thing has a lot of competition with other things that are "all in my head."

Hats were universal in this industry until the new generation of pilots showed up and thought they had the right to change 75 years worth of tradition just because they didn't like it. It starts with the loss of the hat, and before you know it, you'll end up with a uniform that looks like that monstrosity of a uniform that the Virgin America guys are wearing. Looks like something out of a bad Sci-fi movie.

Why is the "hat" so damned sacrosanct? There are a lot of important traditions that have been flushed, like good pay and pensions, but some people get awfully hung up on looking like a Mexican generalisimo. When, exactly did this "new generation" of pilots who had the gall to think they could change things show up? I never see a SWA pilot wearing a hat. How long they been around? 1 in 6 AS pilots wear the hat -- the airline's been around 75 years.

BTW, if we all end up wearing sci-fi uniforms, my plot for world domination and cheesy uniforms will have succeeded...bwah hah hah hah!

I'm being accused of being vain for NOT wearing a hat...that's priceless.

It's amazing how universal picking and choosing which parts of company policies, manuals or standards we each will comply with is, yet some people feel they are in a position to lecture anyone else who does it. Give it a break.

All you have proven is it is really about vanity!

Unless you claim you follow every single company policy and standard, then right back at you!

Sorry, I'm not all about blind conformity. That kind of mentality leads to smoking holes with beautifully executed checklists recorded until the CVR stops. If that's the way you approach the job. Fine. To each his own.

I thought of a couple of times I'll wear the hat:

If attending the funeral of a fellow pilot.

If walking an informational or strike picket.

Don't ask me why, I just think in these situations, I can swallow my "vanity" and wear the full costume.

Fire away!

Why is the "hat" so damned sacrosanct?

It's not just the hat. I think the tie, the shoulder boards, the blazer, etc... are all just as important in maintaining a traditional, professional appearance. The hat is just the most common thing that guys think they can ignore from a uniform policy.

I thought of a couple of times I'll wear the hat:

If attending the funeral of a fellow pilot.

If walking an informational or strike picket.

Don't ask me why, I just think in these situations, I can swallow my "vanity" and wear the full costume.

Fire away!

Your professionalism shouldn't be limited to certain situations. If the hat is appropriate in a picket line or a funeral, then it's appropriate on the line. We shouldn't just decide to look like professionals on special occasions.

Your professionalism shouldn't be limited to certain situations. If the hat is appropriate in a picket line or a funeral, then it's appropriate on the line. We shouldn't just decide to look like professionals on special occasions.

I reject your premise: I don't agree that the hat reflects professionalism. I do think that in some situations, what is customary is important. On the line, I think what is practical is important.

Which is why so many other uniform wearing professions have a "dress" version and a "utility" version. Makes good practical sense.

Last edited:
no friggin' clip-on tie for me. Clip-on ties -- now there's an affront to dignity.

You'll probably think differently about that if you ever get your tie caught up in something.

I've even stopped rolling up the cuffs on my long sleeve shirts after the cuff once got hooked onto the thrust lever (pulling it forward) and I couldn't get the engine into reverse during landing.

How about these guys who wear 2 rings on each hand and the gold "man bracelet".

Reverse....

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!

It is a company rule! Have I ever neglected a company rule...sure. But the difference is, I don't choose to intentionally ignore a rule. Where do you stop? Maybe tear out any page in the FOM that you don't like. It's a company rule....wear the hat.

Man Reverse...if you are 41, ACT YOUR AGE! If you want to look like one of the many Duche's walking through the airport Without your hat...then by all means...GO AHEAD! You are worse than talking to a 2 year old. " my dad can beat up your dad...blah...blah...blah!"

And by the way....the uniform with "utilities" STILL HAVE TO WEAR HATS!:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back