ASA to retire the ATR-72.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bedford and JO are famous for doing so

Bedford is NOT famous for bidding at a loss. Unprofitable flying is right up there with birth control in his book. He may be a lot of things, but he and RAH are not interested in bidding for unprofitable flying.

Maybe I'll just bid the -700 and fly around the pax that used to ride on Delta Mad Dogs.
Get used to hearing them complain. Passengers really do love the 88's.

It seems like the really short flying - CSG, MCN, CHA, VLD is simply going away. It is not just the cost of flying, but also the facility costs of all the fancy schmancy airports the locals build and administrative costs, as well as a slot in the que at the world's busiest airport.

I am surprised BQK service exists. There has to be some sort of subsidy involved.

In a little win / win, I wonder if Delta would codeshare with ASA / SkyWest while allowing the small jet provider to develop and maintain their own routes? The way it used to be might be better than the current fee for departure way of doing business.

Rather than a seamless passenger experience, just the opposite. Let ASA / SkyWest take pride in their routes on ASA/SkyWest aircraft.

Just a thought because candidly, I think Delta is looking at 777's and China a lot more than they are ASA / SkyWest flying. Part of the problems that exist on the small equipment is likely the result of human nature - focusing the new, big, shiny stuff.

Passengers like the ATR if it is operated & supported correctly. It has a big comfortable cabin, is relatively fast and very fuel efficient. The ATR seems more like the future than the RJ, IMHO.

Last edited:
Bedford is NOT famous for bidding at a loss. Unprofitable flying is right up there with birth control in his book. He may be a lot of things, but he and RAH are not interested in bidding for unprofitable flying.
Good joke, but yes - he will bid at break even, or a slight loss and try to make it profitable through growth (reduced average longevity of crews and aircraft) and performance bonus money.

And - you are forgetting the $125,000,000.00 Bedford gave US Air, plus the $110,000,000.00 offered to fund reorganization costs.

You can call that an investment, but it sure wasn't profit.

After seeing some of RAH's numbers in the early days, I thought they bid too tight to make it and would grow until they went bankrupt. Obviously RAH was right in their calculated risk.

Last edited:
Good joke, but yes - he will bid at break even, or a slight loss and try to make it profitable through growth (reduced average longevity of crews and aircraft) and performance bonus money.

And - you are forgetting the $125,000,000.00 Bedford gave US Air, plus the $110,000,000.00 offered to fund reorganization costs.

You can call that an investment, but it sure wasn't profit.

After seeing some of RAH's numbers in the early days, I thought they bid too tight to make it and would grow until they went bankrupt. Obviously RAH was right in their calculated risk.

Not a joke. They won't bid for the unprofitable flying-- performance payments are part of the their calculations, but they don't/won't bid for negative margins.

The US $$ were for an ownership interest to protect an existing codeshare (mitigate a potential loss-- not bidding at a loss) as well as to purchase slots at LGA/DCA and terminal facilities at LGA. The contract provided that US would buy them back at a later date for a set price and if they didn't, RAH would own very valuable assets at the airports. Turned out to be a smart move!

Not defending the reverend, just don't like to see anyone compared to Ornstein!

Well I flew the jet for 3 years prior to the ATR, so I guess I'll survive. Maybe I'll just bid the -700 and fly around the pax that used to ride on Delta Mad Dogs.

Well, if you can pass the RJ checkride you may fly some of the old MD88 routes, like Knoxville and Memphis. Most of our MD88s are now doing old Song routes up and down the East Coast, mostly 2 legs a day. Too bad HHH and the Tiki Hut will be left to Wsurf and PDT, or Lynx if it comes in and does it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Im pretty sure BQK has a gov't subsidity due to the distance to their federal training facilities.

Not a joke. They won't bid for the unprofitable flying
I'm sure that's what he likes to claim when he sends out his "sermons," but the facts don't back it up. Bedford has most certainly bid at a loss, whether he wants to admit it or not.

They should get the new ATR-72-600s that are gonna start to be built. Mighty ATR with glass cockpit. Can't be that!

Latest resources

Back