• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to retire the ATR-72.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right....exactly what I said. I never said they bid for a loss, only that they will probably underbid ASA, because they are willing to take flying at thin margins whereas Skywest is not. You reaffirmed my point.

Well of course they'll underbid ASA, because their block-hour costs are several hundred dollars an hour less than ASA's. The margin is the same or similar, but the bid is less due to the lower block-hour costs.

FWIW, I doubt Mesa will be bidding on anything. And even if SkyWest Inc "wins" the bid, it probably won't go to ASA. The SkyWest pilots with no contract are much more likely to fly it cheaper than our ATR rate (locked to the CRJ-200 rate).

John,

So, what are you going to do now? Finally gonna give in and go get those RJ books? Maybe those new guys at Lynx will come in and do Dash-8-400 flying. Are they ALPA?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Isn't there a clause somewhere about the % of flying that must be done by ASA in ATL? Would loosing the ATR's push ASA below that percentage?

That clause is in the sales contract of ASA between Delta and SkyWest Inc. If ASA's flying % out of ATL goes below the limit, the only party that has legal standing to object would be SkyWest Inc. If the flying goes to SkyWest, SkyWest Inc would probably not raise the issue.

Good question. A fleet reduction without an announcement of new aircraft doesn't sound like good news to me.

Sure doesn't. Although, if -500s came along it wouldn't require a new program to be developed (I don't think...), so they could be brought on line as quickly as ASA could get them on the certificate. Now, if it's something like a Q-400, i believe getting an aircraft program up and running takes a couple of years. Either way, you're right. Announcing retirements without announcing replacements isn't good.

Oh but now the 300 hour wonder pilots don't have to worry about flying a tprop if they come to ASA. Thats GREAT news!

John,

So, what are you going to do now? Finally gonna give in and go get those RJ books? Maybe those new guys at Lynx will come in and do Dash-8-400 flying. Are they ALPA?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well I flew the jet for 3 years prior to the ATR, so I guess I'll survive. Maybe I'll just bid the -700 and fly around the pax that used to ride on Delta Mad Dogs.

Just finished my procheck yesterday. No one at FSI from the ATR side of the house sounded optimistic at all that the A/C were staying.

In fact, the ATR program manager was in and out of the RJ sim, working on his type in the RJ. It doesn't look good for the ATR at ASA.

If so, this would truly be the end of an era: Crews that are actually fun coming and going out of Atlanta.

It does seem as though the writing is on the wall for the ATR. Of course Delta will put out a proposal for "new" TP flying out of Atlanta. Of course our pilot group will be asked to fly it for less. (No raise for the Bro pilots sound familiar?) Of course we will not.

I think I'm gonna puke when I see some MESA scumbag wasting oxygen in the Badda Bing... :puke:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back