• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to retire the ATR-72.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pinnacle has never bid for any flying at a loss to secure flying. Bedford and JO are famous for doing so, but Pinnacle never has. The flying they are doing for DAL in ATL is just barely over break-even, but it's not at a loss.

Right....exactly what I said. I never said they bid for a loss, only that they will probably underbid ASA, because they are willing to take flying at thin margins whereas Skywest is not. You reaffirmed my point.

They have been saying they were going to get rid of the ATRs since 2003. They are still there. Every time someone comes up with that idea someone else looks at how much money they make and somehow they end up staying.

Isn't there a clause somewhere about the % of flying that must be done by ASA in ATL? Would loosing the ATR's push ASA below that percentage?

I'm not sure if it is a combination Skywest/ASA percentage or an ASA percentage. I always thought the 80% was Skywest INC., which would have been an opening for BOTH carriers to shoulder the 80%.

I'm not sure if it is a combination Skywest/ASA percentage or an ASA percentage. I always thought the 80% was Skywest INC., which would have been an opening for BOTH carriers to shoulder the 80%.
I believe it was 80% ASA. With the departure of both Freedumb and Skywest from ATL, even losing the ATR's will likely leave us at or above that %. Then we'll begin receiving 900's.

They will be replaced, just don't look for ASA to be the company that flies the replacement. Delta will remove the ATR's from ASA, and put out an RFP for the replacement aircraft. I'm sure ASA will be undercut for the flying. Remember, Skywest refuses to bid lower than the profit margin they want. Pinnacles and Mesa's will bid much lower to win flying.

FWIW, I doubt Mesa will be bidding on anything. And even if SkyWest Inc "wins" the bid, it probably won't go to ASA. The SkyWest pilots with no contract are much more likely to fly it cheaper than our ATR rate (locked to the CRJ-200 rate).

I would expect another prop-they just are too fuel effecient on all these short routes. How else are you gonna get that many people there that fuel effeciently?

That would be true in the real world, but in Airline Management Land where image, marketability, and market share dictate profits, eliminating the most profitable airplane in the fleet makes sense. It is "incongruent with passenger expectations of what a Delta flight should be".

Latest resources

Back