• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA shutting the door on hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually he's smart pushing back. You still pay for the fuel that we de-fuel and that fuel can't be used again. Not so dumb to me!

You forget to mention increased pollution, wear and tear on the engines, ramp/taxiiway congestion, passengers getting nervous, and the fact that at idle or a bit above the CRJ would burn 500/hr per side. So if he had to defuel 500lbs say, that would have taken 30 min anyway.

In the past, when the economy tanked, mainline shrank, and ASA, Comair, and Skywest grew. Delta has made announcements over and over that they would focus growth on international flights. That will probably not stop. Reduction in domestic flying will probably be reduced. It history repeats, this should provide more opportunity for DCI, which now includes more than ASA, Comair, and Skywest.

Having said that, there are some existing DCI routes that will be eliminated due to poor load factors. However, with mainline cutbacks, there probably be some new opportunities for DCI. Replacement Jets (RJ's) will probably be an even more important
part of the strategy.

There has been some mention of reducing the Connectors. If this happens, some will go, some will grow. Maybe, this makes the success of D-0 even more important.

"At the same time, we're working hard within the revenue environment to right size the airline to the marketplace."
Anderson did not specifically mention any plans for job cuts. However, Delta soon could be building its case for why such cuts are needed. Anderson said Delta will share information with employees next week on its internal Web site documenting its efforts to pass rising fuel costs onto customers rather than requiring sacrifices from employees.
He said Delta announced plans this week to discontinue several domestic routes that are unprofitable at current fuel prices.
In December, Delta announced an earlier $400 million cost-saving plan that included reducing domestic capacity by up to 5 percent, shedding more than a dozen older aircraft and cutting an undisclosed number of jobs, mostly through attrition.

Last edited:
Psssh I saved 550 off one once! Of course having only 20 pax and a good tailwind helps! Also cruising 4000ft above planned altitude.

I think they should give us $10 for each flight we burn below average. That'll get people to start saving more. I heard a guy on the ramp the other day that wanted to push back and burn off fuel instead of waiting 30 min to get de-fueled. What an idiot!

We had a full boat and flew at the filed altitude and still had a lower fuel burn. Amazing what happens when you get a little conservative on the speeds.

So far as the bonus, I'd been thinking something similar. We'd have to get the Mother Ship to buy into that one though. 59 and 81 gallons of gas respectively is nothing to sniff at especially if the entire fleet is doing it.

Well it looks like the music has stopped at ASA as they just canceled the CRJ CA, CRJ FO awards

I guess the new guys should start to look at this section of the contract..Section 1.J.

Good luck!

I guess the new guys should start to look at this section of the contract..Section 1.J.

Good luck!

What are you referring to???? Section 1 only goes up to "F", and there's not even a subsection "j".

Latest resources

Back