Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA: Ready reserve not assigned via the bucket?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with 79%. I was on reserve over 4 years ago too-as an FO and now as a captain. I've got the shirt too. I think the best thing we got out of the contract as reserves was the ability to monitor the schedulers and see what they're doing. It's great calling them out on stuff when they give it out of order-which still happens a lot. But the ready reserve; they can just give that out like back in the old days to whomever whenever. It just doesn't fit with all the gains we made. But it's written in the contract this way so there's not much we can do when they assign us that.

But it's written in the contract this way so there's not much we can do when they assign us that.

Just for my own information, I wonder if that was an oversight (I didn't see it myself until I was assigned RR and re-read that part of the contract) or it was a deliberate concession?

But the ready reserve; they can just give that out like back in the old days to whomever whenever. It just doesn't fit with all the gains we made. But it's written in the contract this way so there's not much we can do when they assign us that.
I'll repeat so those who think we are bitchin may finally have this sink through their thick skulls: the way they assign ready reserve makes the bucket a useless tool. They can assign whoever they want, wherever they fall within the bucket a RR assignment. We are not complaining about ready reserve. I understand it's good because it prevents extensions. But why did we fight for transparency and think we got it when the way they assign RR erases it all. To put it simply, the company found a way to manipulate that part of the contract and put one over on us.

They're not doing too hot with the rest of the bucket system either at times. I'm reserve no pref. this month, and I just got the second trip this month that should have gone to either

a) any of the CMF guys in my bucket or
b) any of the more junior No pref. people in my bucket (all but a couple are junior to me)

At least as far as I can tell, that is- maybe I'm missing something. If you're CMF (which I usually am, just not this month), it would certainly pay to keep an eye on your fellow 'bucketeers'. ;)

As far as RR goes, there's definitely a potential for abuse/misuse there. Call whoever you want down to the airport, then you can give them the trip that's 5 hours out from departure, or whatever. I'm not saying it happens, but there's a good-sized loophole there. I've had a lot of RR, along with the rest of you lately, though it seems all I've seen most folks get used for is taxiing planes.

-A-

They're not doing too hot with the rest of the bucket system either at times. I'm reserve no pref. this month, and I just got the second trip this month that should have gone to either

Then call scheduling and tell them to put it on one of these people's schedules!

b) any of the more junior No pref. people in my bucket (all but a couple are junior to me)

Read your contract... seniority has no bearing on no preference assignments.

I agree the need to keep up with the bucket, that's why reserve transparency is such a huge issue to us.

As far as RR goes, there's definitely a potential for abuse/misuse there. Call whoever you want down to the airport, then you can give them the trip that's 5 hours out from departure, or whatever. I'm not saying it happens, but there's a good-sized loophole there. I've had a lot of RR, along with the rest of you lately, though it seems all I've seen most folks get used for is taxiing planes.

That's true that your scenario would be somewhat of an abuse of ready reserve, however your initial assignment can't be past 2 hours from the end of the ready reserve time. Also, there's a financial penalty for keeping somebody on ready reserve for long then flying them (the greater of time on ready reserve + block or the duty rig).

No pref goes by credit hours, not by seniority. If you have the least credit hours, you get the trip. CMF goes by seniority.

It's funny to me how people always complain about people they think are complaining. Most of the whining on this board is from people that dislike whining!

Latest resources

Back