Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA: Ready reserve not assigned via the bucket?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Careful with that. That is not always true. The contract has a crazy loophole that nullifies that if said assignment will take you over 75 hrs for the month. I think that is stupid, because it completely nullifies the guys who want to work hard and go over block from doing so. Not sure how you are lucking out and going over 75 hrs. I have been on reserve for 14 month, LC CMF, and have NEVER once gone over. I always get shut down at the end of the month when I approach 75 hrs, and the trips go to guys with less block time.

I agree that if one guy is consistently getting 90+ hours while the rest are cut off at 75, maybe something is fishy.

But it seems like scheduling just doesn't follow this provision, or only follows it when it's convenient. It seems that for as many guys that say they get cut off at 75 hours, there's more that go over guarantee.

From the company's perspective it makes sense, since hardly any of the lineholders are breaking guarantee lately. So why should reserves break guarantee when we have 150+ of them sitting around, most of which are not CMF?

Keep in mind that if they skip you because you're going over 75, they can't assign the trip to somebody else to take them over 75. It's an all or nothing provision. They have to give it to somebody who won't break guarantee, not just who won't break it as much.

But, the manager of crew scheduling is monitoring the thread right now (he seems to have chosen a very un-creative name), so hopefully some of these problems will get fixed.

Last edited:
That provision you speak of says they "may" bypass an assignment if someone is over 75 hrs. Doesn't say they have to. If he gets 90+ hours,that's fine with me, that means they wont call a no-preference guy who would rather sit at home. Now, if we happen to furlough and he or anybody keeps doing that, then we have a problem!

Ready reserve = sitting at the airport for 8 hrs on reserve. You basically are ready to go as soon as scheduling calls you. ASA pilots get paid 4 hrs + per diem for this even if they dont get used.

Thank you! So that means that if they need an airplane moved, there MAY be some pilots "Ready" to move them, and already being paid, as you mentioned, versus extending someone beyond his/her footprint and having to pay him/her. This sounds logical!

It's good the RR guys are preventing the lineholders from being extended. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to experience that. Would be good if those lineholders would try to keep in mind the perspective of the reserve pilot.

For example, we happen to have a fair amount of right seat guys around six years seniority who've been on reserve for an exceedingly long time, many half their time here...with no end in sight. There was no reason to anticipate the current situation prior to upgrade over a year ago.

After the hard fought contract gains, the way company is now using RR virtually negates those changes. Many of us, particularly those who can't hold Long Call, can barely tell the difference from the old work rules. The call ins are random, out of seniority, with little or no means to anticipate through the bucket system...i.e.none of the transparency we fought so long and hard for. Last weekend the overflow lounge was packed, almost all were RR people. The RR room (closet is more like it) is crowded if more than one person is present, and often those in there aren't even RR folks.

Few seem to consider that a reserve pilot will typically bring home considerably less compensation than his line holding colleagues, while enjoying minimum days off, and burning up the road back and forth to the airport. Many reserve commuters barely see home. We're in a slow period right now, but this isn't the way been for the majority of my reserve experience.

After so long on reserve, it's uncanny how often those who seem to feel reserve folks are whining have little or no reserve experience...including CPs. Please bear in mind most of us have complete appreciation for company's efforts to not furlough. This is not a rant or whine, but merely an attempt to relate perspective.

And yes I am senior to you..

But you still come off as a ****************************** on the internet.

RosenKen = 1
airitme42 = 0

You are such a liar. I spoke with a manager in scheduling she said she just got off the phone with Scott. And that Scott said just give him what he wants.

I'm not making the connection between what the manager told you and RosenKen 'crying' to SH about it. Does the one necessarily follow the other?

Maybe SH just doesn't give a ******************** and was looking for the most direct line off the phone so he can attend to more important tasks?

LOL, I can't believe I let myself be suckered into one of these stupid, juvenile, sophomoric threads on FI!

Moment of weakeness, that's all.

Redan,

Great post! You hit the nail right on the head. Most of the guys that label those describing a certain condition are not the ones experiencing those conditions. It is the senior lineholder that gets his 3rd choice every month and has it better due to the reserves that want to say 'quit your b!tching' or 'quit complaining'. The system is faulty, and should be fixed in some way. It would not take much, and nobody is saying they don't want the ready reserve system. Just that it has the same transparency, and regard for seniority that the other pilots enjoy.

Redan,

Great post! You hit the nail right on the head. Most of the guys that label those describing a certain condition are not the ones experiencing those conditions. It is the senior lineholder that gets his 3rd choice every month and has it better due to the reserves that want to say 'quit your b!tching' or 'quit complaining'. The system is faulty, and should be fixed in some way. It would not take much, and nobody is saying they don't want the ready reserve system. Just that it has the same transparency, and regard for seniority that the other pilots enjoy.

Everybody on the seniority list has been on reserve at one time or another and most of the time more than once in different statuses! No one that has been here 6 years has to be on reserve except through his/her choice. The reserve system today is much better than it was this time last year. We all have the t-shirts!

Everybody on the seniority list has been on reserve at one time or another and most of the time more than once in different statuses! No one that has been here 6 years has to be on reserve except through his/her choice. The reserve system today is much better than it was this time last year. We all have the t-shirts!

Riiight! So, since reserve sucked for you, and others in the past, the guys doing ready reserve now have no right to ask or question the current reserve rules and/or wish the improvements that others enjoy in the new contract would apply in some way to those on reserve. That is stupid! It sucked for me 10 years ago so suck it up and stop b1tching, right? Well, I think it is a good point to wonder why the system is as messed up as it is, and why it can't be improved so all the pilots here can enjoy some improvements from waiting so long for a new contract.

And, you are FLAT out wrong about one thing. I am just starting my 7th year here, and I am on reserve as a Captain on the 200. And, NOT BY CHOICE!

Latest resources

Back