Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA: Ready reserve not assigned via the bucket?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blame the company for switching to a new bidding/open time system without any spin-up time. Anybody who knows anything about computers knows that no software is perfect and there needs to be ample time to test and debug before you put it in production use. That was simply not done here.

At least the union found a way to keep the bid cycle open a bit longer without delaying the awards by a day. I doubt anybody is going to complain about having an extra few hours to bid when the timeline for awarding isn't shifted.

I don't mean to come across like I am blaming the union. I am just amazed that the company can't get their shyt together. I realize that this month's f up is due to crew bid, however what about the last few months when we were using flica? I do however think there should be some accountability on the company's part.

Last edited:
You say FI isn't an appropriate forum for discussion of our issues. However, here at ASA, unlike other airlines, we don't have an anonymous ALPA web board. So by default FI often becomes the anonymous forum for our issues. It's been that way since long before I arrived here. I'm not a frequent poster as can be seen by my post count: 112 over seven years, or an average of 15-16 per year. Contrast that with your post count of 871 and of course there's Oh Please with 1,112. You better believe I will come on to provide pithy comments when I see it's necessary. I've taken on the best including you, Oh Please and the vaunted Joe Merchant...and will continue to do so. Particularly when others claim whining just for valid discourse on legitimate issues.

So, as another asked, why do you need an anonymous ALPA Web Board?

I appreciate your statements on going to reps or the MEC and not just doing FI posts. This is something all of us need to follow. However, my comment in the previous post about how our union and company have recognized and are discussing this current issue didn't originate from a FI post. I do know what to do, and I hope, as you've said, others will also follow your suggestions.

Ok, you know what to do, but did you do it?

And sir, please let me assure you, I have complete familiarity with the "abuse list" after two and a half years of reserve under the old system. Herein lies the rub: many feel the "abuse list" is still around and being doled out as Ready Reserve. I can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like it, smells like it, and tastes like it. How can we tell the difference?

Well, now, maybe we have some common ground? Who are the hacks in scheduling these days?

What really concerns me is this: Those like yourself who, as you say, fought so hard for the contract...you guys should be as concerned as me, even more so, when you learn it's not being implemented as intended. You guys should be the first to step up, instead we hear we're whining. IMHO that is extremely inappropriate. But that's just me.

Now, you have my attention. Could you please be constructive, and specifically list the parts of the contract in this area that are not being implemented as intended? If you are correct, there are many who should stand up! But, be specific as to section and paragraph, and what is happening as opposed as to what should be happening according to the contract!

On viewing the posts of Oh Please, it's easy to see they're ego driven. He indicates this is "his swing in his playground." He calls 79% N1 a "little puss." 79 is someone I know well, and I can assure you is no puss boy. 79 is someone who is very well informed and very concerned with our careers and well being...and takes the time to come on and make valid legitimate points as much as anyone else on this forum. Oh Please is someone for whom I no longer have respect, and I'm no longer interested in his opinion on any issue. Oh please sir, please find a way to acquire a life.

Most know who "Oh Please" is and he actually is very intelligent and knows the issues well. Maybe, some of his banter is simply in response to some of the BS on this board. We all get carried away from time to time and it becomes SPORT! Thicker skin is on the MEL for this board!

Last edited:
If you're on reserve, be sure to check the reserve list before you leave for the airport. I got a call yesterday to do a three day trip and as soon as I hung up with scheduling I checked the reserve list. Sure enough, there was another pilot in my bucket with less hours. I called them back and they immediately took the trip away. It pays to look up the reserve list.

If you're on reserve, be sure to check the reserve list before you leave for the airport. I got a call yesterday to do a three day trip and as soon as I hung up with scheduling I checked the reserve list. Sure enough, there was another pilot in my bucket with less hours. I called them back and they immediately took the trip away. It pays to look up the reserve list.

had the same thing happen to me this week. I wonder why they can't just do it right. It couldn't be that hard to look at the list like we do..we're not even trained schedulers. It's almost like they're testing us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redan
You say FI isn't an appropriate forum for discussion of our issues. However, here at ASA, unlike other airlines, we don't have an anonymous ALPA web board. So by default FI often becomes the anonymous forum for our issues. It's been that way since long before I arrived here. I'm not a frequent poster as can be seen by my post count: 112 over seven years, or an average of 15-16 per year. Contrast that with your post count of 871 and of course there's Oh Please with 1,112. You better believe I will come on to provide pithy comments when I see it's necessary. I've taken on the best including you, Oh Please and the vaunted Joe Merchant...and will continue to do so. Particularly when others claim whining just for valid discourse on legitimate issues.

Never said we did.

I appreciate your statements on going to reps or the MEC and not just doing FI posts. This is something all of us need to follow. However, my comment in the previous post about how our union and company have recognized and are discussing this current issue didn't originate from a FI post. I do know what to do, and I hope, as you've said, others will also follow your suggestions.

Felt I worded previous comments adequately to allow folks to gather that I had. Guess not, so I'll now spell it out as clearly as I know how:

Y E S

And sir, please let me assure you, I have complete familiarity with the "abuse list" after two and a half years of reserve under the old system. Herein lies the rub: many feel the "abuse list" is still around and being doled out as Ready Reserve. I can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like it, smells like it, and tastes like it. How can we tell the difference?

Well, now, maybe we have some common ground? Who are the hacks in scheduling these days?

Bid reserve, you'll find out quick.

What really concerns me is this: Those like yourself who, as you say, fought so hard for the contract...you guys should be as concerned as me, even more so, when you learn it's not being implemented as intended. You guys should be the first to step up, instead we hear we're whining. IMHO that is extremely inappropriate. But that's just me.

Now, you have my attention. Could you please be constructive, and specifically list the parts of the contract in this area that are not being implemented as intended? If you are correct, there are many who should stand up! But, be specific as to section and paragraph, and what is happening as opposed as to what should be happening according to the contract!

On discovery that items in the new contract weren't working as intended we've seen several LOAs and MOUs generated to rectify the various issues. Now the process is extending to difficulties in implementation of RR. Perhaps you saw this mentioned in the ALPA Fastread today. It seems to me the fact that union as well as company acknowledging the problem lends a good deal of validation to the points brought by myself and others regarding the RR issues. Pity there are fellow pilots who still wish to debate it.

On viewing the posts of Oh Please, it's easy to see they're ego driven. He indicates this is "his swing in his playground." He calls 79% N1 a "little puss." 79 is someone I know well, and I can assure you is no puss boy. 79 is someone who is very well informed and very concerned with our careers and well being...and takes the time to come on and make valid legitimate points as much as anyone else on this forum. Oh Please is someone for whom I no longer have respect, and I'm no longer interested in his opinion on any issue. Oh please sir, please find a way to acquire a life.

Most know who "Oh Please" is and he actually is very intelligent and knows the issues well. Maybe, some of his banter is simply in response to some of the BS on this board. We all get carried away from time to time and it becomes SPORT! Thicker skin is on the MEL for this board!

I also know who Oh Please is. I've seen and heard him at meetings and read many of his hundreds of posts on FI. Have to agree, that's one sharp cookie. What was a pi$$ ant like myself thinking going up against such a towering intellect? The best part is how commendably he represents the ASA pilots on here, makes me swell with pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redan

Never said we did.

Felt I worded previous comments adequately to allow folks to gather that I had. Guess not, so I'll now spell it out as clearly as I know how:

Y E S

Bid reserve, you'll find out quick.

On discovery that items in the new contract weren't working as intended we've seen several LOAs and MOUs generated to rectify the various issues. Now the process is extending to difficulties in implementation of RR. Perhaps you saw this mentioned in the ALPA Fastread today. It seems to me the fact that union as well as company acknowledging the problem lends a good deal of validation to the points brought by myself and others regarding the RR issues. Pity there are fellow pilots who still wish to debate it.

Actually, I didn't think you would be able to identify contract violations, specifically. For the most part, the contract, weak in this area of RR assignment or not, is being followed as prescribed. What was mentioned in Fastread is simply the Company is willing to sit down with the Union to address some issues that MAY be resolved if it does not further limit the resources of the Company. My guess, based on what I have heard, is that there may be a few things resolved dealing with the assignment of RR, only if a method can be found that is not cumbersome and restrictive on the Company. The mere fact that the Company, aka specifically BH, is willing to at least address the issue is commendable.

I also know who Oh Please is. I've seen and heard him at meetings and read many of his hundreds of posts on FI. Have to agree, that's one sharp cookie. What was a pi$$ ant like myself thinking going up against such a towering intellect? The best part is how commendably he represents the ASA pilots on here, makes me swell with pride.

And looks like you are certainly doing your part.

Latest resources

Back