Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ifly4food

ifly4food.com
Also hot off the press, DN, TZ, and SJ were re-elected to another two year term. Disappointing that no fresh blood was considered. I think the status reps will have some competition when they are up for re-election.

No one else ran from what i can tell...its a thankless job that I personally don't want. I do appreciate their time and effort, and if they want to continue to hold office, i'm all for that!

We had a vote? When did this happen?
oops

My understanding the way it works.
Lets say you want to be the VP of the MEC. You let your CAPT or FO rep know that you want to run. In return they nominate you. In the MEC meeting there is a vote for these positions by your reps.

We had a vote? When did this happen?

oops
Airboss is correct. The general membership doesn't vote on the three MEC Officer positions. The status reps that make up the MEC vote on these positions. Most MECs will send out an email to let the membership know that elections are coming up at the next MEC meeting, but the membership isn't really directly involved.

Also hot off the press, DN, TZ, and SJ were re-elected to another two year term. Disappointing that no fresh blood was considered. I think the status reps will have some competition when they are up for re-election.

As a recent "insider" turned outside observer, I would say that your "stale blood" has served you extremely well. Just my humble opinion.

As a recent "insider" turned outside observer, I would say that your "stale blood" has served you extremely well. Just my humble opinion.

You mean the new contract? Not everyone is satisfied with it. In fact, it turns out the the money is about all that's good in it as more and more loopholes appear during implementation. It seems like almost everything in the exalted scheduling section boils down to company discretion.

And I heard of several senior pilots who were considering running, but either didn't or weren't given serious consideration. I would have to say it's pretty rare for an MEC to elect an "outsider" to an MEC officer position. Generally, these positions come from within the MEC, or at least "trusted" ALPA insiders like committee chairmen or very dedicated committee members. The last thing an MEC wants is someone who isn't going to toe the party line at the table. "Debate" takes place at MEC meetings, but the outcome of the decision is rarely in doubt. Anyone who leave the room and speaks anything other than the party line is considered a traitor, and treated accordingly.

And the only true duty of the MEC officers is to execute the will of the status reps. They do not make autonomous decisions (per ALPA's C&BLs), contrary to popular opinion. Therefore, the status reps want people who will do what they want, not argue and make their own decisions. So really, I guess it comes as no surprise that they just re-elected the same people.

And your PBS committee is DU, PD and SJ. When the FO reps asked why there wasn't a rep for the FOs on the committee it was stated that there is no negotiations, only fact finding.

I would suggest that at the next LEC meeting the pilot group put forth a motion to require the pilot group to vote on any addition of PBS.

Latest resources

Back