• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA IAD base confirmed: Senior?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry dude but we have a lot of guys on the street and the general feeling is is sucks seeing Skywest flying 50s in ATL while they are unemployed. If it weren't for that factor, Skywest would be much more welcome. I would expect you guys to have the same resentment toward us if we had moved into your bases while you had pilots on furlough!

Do you feel the same away about all the CVG flying we are doing with Comair pilots on furlough?...The blame lies with a failed union...not the pilots....

...and they played ball with Herb..They gave him workrules and retirement that was less than the competition...They BOTH played ball and won in the end...Something to think about for you hardliners...

Yes, let's undercut our competition. What a brilliant idea, and that statement just proves to everybody what you're about.

Yes, let's undercut our competition. What a brilliant idea, and that statement just proves to everybody what you're about.

Isn't that what the SWA pilots did in effect? Didn't they undercut the competition?

Isn't that what the SWA pilots did in effect? Didn't they undercut the competition?

You really are a management's wet dream. If all pilots thought like you did, we would slit each other's throats for every bit of flying we could get. Next thing you know, we'd have nothing but FAA rules protecting us because we gave back everything we gained over the years in negotiations to undercut our competion.

I'm not saying ALPA is the only answer because we all know it has more than it's share of faults, but your every-man-for-himself attitude is what got us to this point in the first place.

Do you feel the same away about all the CVG flying we are doing with Comair pilots on furlough?...The blame lies with a failed union...not the pilots....

I don't blame the Skywest pilots. I don't blame any of the DCI pilots for what is going on. I honestly feel bad for the Comair pilots, many great friends over there who are getting hosed. I personnally don't give a crap about CVG or JFK and I do not care that Comair is in ATL. I don't even care that Skywest is in ATL. Rather see them doing it then someone else. At least we are all on the same team, kinda. I am just saying it sucks to see Skywest 50 seaters flying routes we used to in ATL ....WHILE.... we have guys on furlough. I think this is more of a Skywest management issue than Skywest pilots. If we had all of our pilots, I wouldn't really care who came to ATL. ATL sucks big time but it is all we have....

...and they played ball with Herb..They gave him workrules and retirement that was less than the competition...They BOTH played ball and won in the end...Something to think about for you hardliners...

Joe, I think the comparison in this facet doesn't really apply. The SWA issue does not pertain to the business environment faced by small lift providers today. Thye had their own certificate and worked only for themselves with the knowledge they would eventually command the potential for greater earnings and work rules. The cards feel their way and they are reaping the benefits today. The fee-for-departure crowd works under a different set of circumstances where their contract can be terminated for a number of reasons. The pilot groups are not positioned to apply pressure to the owner of the flying. Only the pilot groups that actually work for the parent carrier have that leverage.

That being said, I still believe that we can all position ourselves for greater opportunity by being flexible and actively looking for ways to make our respective carriers more efficient. SKW Inc has demonstrated they are willing to seek out new ways to save money and involve the different work groups in inventive ways to cut costs will providing a good work setting for its employees. The adage, "Happy employees are productive employees," does not appear to be lost on JA or BH. Real leadership does not hurt either and I believe we have that. Everything with airline flying may not be a bed of roses and we may have to make some choices we don't exactly care but I think we need to maintain and an open mind as we move into the future.

One additional think we need to keep in mind is the upcoming situation we will find ourselves in. Once hiring begins again, the current pipe line of pilots will be depleted. With the likely onset of the ATP rules for 121 ops, the regional carriers will have to look for new ways to attract potential pilots. Mainline will likely have to compete as well. I firmly believe the market will again dictate higher wages and better work rules. Without them, there will be no one willing to sacrifice their time away from home and families to make this a career. If we are all able to hold the line for a short period of time, the market will work in the pilots favor.

No, I didn't proof read this post. Hence there will be mistakes in grammer, spelling, etc. Please forgive my laziness.

Delta is required to uphold their 80% Contractual Req't out of ATL. If there has been a reduction in overall schedule (my guess there has), then it will simply be gone. The reason why we are in NY and BOS according to SH is the Inc. is holding Delta to that 80%. They have dropped below that 80% and Inc. had given a little relief. Apparently Inc. is not allowing that any longer. That's the way I understand it anyways.

Trojan

And the extra flying will be removed in DEC.

The first vacancy bid for IAD may go junior, due to commuting nightmares in Washington DC Airports. Super Seniority/Bypass will not be used, and is not allowed when awarding positions in a different domicile, per section 24.G.7b, and Definitions section on page 13 of the current contract. The restriction of "Bypass" usage by the company pertains to the definition of "position", which includes a pilot's category and domicile. Since no pilots were displaced in IAD and there are no vacancies in ATL, it can't be used. Atlanta may be bad, but D.C. is probably far worse, and that stupid ass Obama lives there as well...

Latest resources

Back