• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA IAD base confirmed: Senior?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is this true? I read through the Filling of Vacancies section and I didn't see any mention of domicile changes. I'm locked until the summer supposedly.

The seat locks were lifted for the last bid cycle. Did people not realize that? Someone else told me they didn't go back to the 200 because they were seat locked.

when did you guys furlough, and when did we establish an ATL base? seems that the latter happened first, and plenty of chest thumping, crying and complaining went on here on these boards. we got the dirty looks in the ATL right away as well. maybe it's just the ridiculous humidity there makes everyone pissy.

welcome to UEX, IAD and ORD to all y'all!

Don't feel bad. Some of our finest gave Comair pilots crap on the radios when they started flying to ATL, even though we had already flown into CVG long before.

Is this true? I read through the Filling of Vacancies section and I didn't see any mention of domicile changes. I'm locked until the summer supposedly.

Yes. If you want IAD, they cannot seat lock you. Makes no difference if you upgraded yesterday, or switched aircraft last week. It's brand new. Addtionally, if you bid and were awarded IAD, and ORD opened up a week later, you would be able to hold ORD (assuming that's what you wanted.) Since it's brand new. Now after 6 mo. all bets are off. Once you bid into IAD, and nothing new opens up, you are seat locked for 6 months in new domicile (unless you can upgrade).

Trojan

The seat locks were lifted for the last bid cycle. Did people not realize that? Someone else told me they didn't go back to the 200 because they were seat locked.

I didn't want to go back to the 200 during the last displacement/furlough, so I didn't do any research into it...but, from what I read it was the people who were moving in that displacement that were immune from seat lock. For instance, a captain wanting to be a "senior FO" or a someone switching between 200/700 were free from the seat lock that would ensue. This was specific to the August/September displacement bid.

I went to the 700 when we got the 900s in the early spring. No mention was made of us, and my name still appears on the Aircraft Freeze List every month.

I didn't want to go back to the 200 during the last displacement/furlough, so I didn't do any research into it...but, from what I read it was the people who were moving in that displacement that were immune from seat lock. For instance, a captain wanting to be a "senior FO" or a someone switching between 200/700 were free from the seat lock that would ensue. This was specific to the August/September displacement bid.

I went to the 700 when we got the 900s in the early spring. No mention was made of us, and my name still appears on the Aircraft Freeze List every month.

That seat lock only applies in domicile and cannot affect your upgrade. You can upgrade anytime you want to assuming you can hold it and there's a vacancy.

That seat lock will not tell you its stipulations. Its a general thing and it's normal once you change seats.

Trojan

You could have gone back to the 200, if you wanted to, during that bid. There are people who did so who went to the 700 when the 900s came, and went back to the 200 during that bid.

The company is not required to exercise the "Super Senority Option" or "Bypass Option", as it also known. The contract gives the company the option of using it or not using it. They would certainly save thousands of dollars if they did use it.

I think it will be sort of like how the 700 list is now. Pretty senior on top half then extremely junior on the bottom half. I'm packing my bags already for the displacement....

The only way that I see -700 FO's being displaced to the -200 in IAD ( a double displacement if you will) would be if junior captains bid FO in order to stay in ATL. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but according to section 24 G(a) of the CBA, which lists the order in which people get displaced, the most junior pilot in the same CATEGORY in the system is the first one displaced and then continues until that condition is no longer met. At that point, then (this is a key word in this section) it goes to 24 G(a)(2) and so on. The definition of "Category" is in section 2 and is a combination of pilot status and aircraft type (aka FO CR2). In other words, -200 FO's that are senior to -700 FO's will be displaced before their junior counterparts on the -700. This bid also does not include a -700 vacancy or reduction so -200 FO's will not be able to bid over to avoid it. While that might not be fair, unfortunately, that's the way it looks like it will happen.

Of course, this is all assuming that not enough people voluntarily want to go to IAD, so it might be a moot point.

Last edited:
The only way that I see -700 FO's being displaced to the -200 in IAD ( a double displacement if you will) would be if junior captains bid FO in order to stay in ATL. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but according to section 24 G(a) of the CBA, which lists the order in which people get displaced, the most junior pilot in the same CATEGORY in the system is the first one displaced and then continues until that condition is no longer met. At that point, then (this is a key word in this section) it goes to 24 G(a)(2) and so on. The definition of "Category" is in section 2 and is a combination of pilot status and aircraft type (aka FO CR2). In other words, -200 FO's that are senior to -700 FO's will be displaced before their junior counterparts on the -700. This bid also does not include a -700 vacancy or reduction so -200 FO's will not be able to bid over to avoid it. While that might not be fair, unfortunately, that's the way it looks like it will happen.

Of course, this is all assuming that not enough people voluntarily want to go to IAD, so it might be a moot point.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. Appreciate the explanation!

Latest resources

Back