ASA hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Be sure to post Crew Scheduling's tricks for contacting Crew Members on days off. Just so we know what is coming and can develop countermeasures.

Last year they were using calling cards at Christmas so you would not know who was calling. With a house full of relatives it is difficult to enforce the "no answer" policy and even more difficult when friends are travelling in from out of town.

Last year the calling cards Crew Scheduling was using would come up as Denver Aera Codes. They also use their cell phones (but only on nights and weekends).

You just have to train your family to say, "I'm sorry, he/she is not accepting calls right now." I have no problem with them hearing me (in the background) tell whoever answered the phone, "No, I do not take calls from them on my time off." I think it is absolutely rediculous that if you answer your phone on your day off it can be made into an occurrence.

veneratio said:
just say that you are under the influence and ask them if they are willing to wave the .04 BAC level?

The other really easy one is to say "gee, I'm real sorry, but I've got kind of a head cold going so I just took some Nyquil right before you called, which makes it impossible for me to duty in for a minimum of 24 hours." I'd love to see them try to tag you for an occurance for 'being sick' on a day off. (I'm sure they would try, but I'd still love to be there to see them try to make it stick! Can anyone say personal call to the FAA?)

-Blucher;)

I have an occurrence for saying I was sick on a scheduled day off after flying three CDO's. Crew Scheduling had tricked my family by using a calling card. When they got me I told them I was drinking cough medicine. The CP actually told me that if I intended to call in sick on my off day I should have called crew scheduling ahead of time and told them I was sick. I pretty much told him to do whatever he felt like he had to do, that I wasn't coming in and hung up.

No kidding, don't come to this airline.

Every time I think of that I get mad....

~~~^~~~ said:
I have an occurrence for saying I was sick on a scheduled day off after flying three CDO's. Crew Scheduling had tricked my family by using a calling card. When they got me I told them I was drinking cough medicine. The CP actually told me that if I intended to call in sick on my off day I should have called crew scheduling ahead of time and told them I was sick. I pretty much told him to do whatever he felt like he had to do, that I wasn't coming in and hung up.

Ok, that's it. From now on I'm calling crew scheduling on all my off days and informing them that I'm sick. I suggest that everybody else do the same.

~~~^~~~ said:

Does the Greivance process suck that badly at ASA?

Turkey Shoot said:
Does the Greivance process suck that badly at ASA?
Its only "grievable" if the airline takes disciplinary action against you. Since I was a good boy and was below my 4 occurrences for the year, the airline took no action against me and there was nothing to grieve. Unfortunately I can't grieve the fact that I was running around the house screaming obscenities on Christmas Eve.

When the airline hires a former Grievance Committee member as a Chief Pilot, watch out. They pretty much know how to roll up the contract and use it to beat you like a dog.

sweptback said:
I agree, but when the GO phone number shows up, it's usually because it's beneficial to you (ie, your trip has been taken for training, etc.)

When you get junior manned or when they call on reserve, it comes up as no caller ID.

Not that any of this matters, as I don't answer the phone either way. Just the trend I picked up on during my life on reserve.

That's not the case. Scheduling comes up as the GO number now that they switched to the new phone system. That started in Feb. I think.

I have a special ringtone for that number. I always ask who is calling before I say "this is him", so I can take a msg for me if it's scheduling.

Why do you think the company is so opposed to asking for Captain Smith, or first officer Jones rather than asking for Dick or Harry.

Last edited:
They're not allowed to use personal phones now, as it bypasses the recorded lines and is, thus, in violation of the SPs and the FARs. A personal call to the FSDO cleared that up a while back.

Once I decided to be a smart a$$, using my best receptionist voice and saying "Doctor XXX's office. Can I Help you?" C.S. I so and so there? " Doctor so and so is in surgery now can I take a message." C.S. Yes tell him he has a trip tomorrow and to give Crew Scheduling a call when he gets a chance. This is no crap I did this and hung up the phone. I don't know if she really thought I was a doctor and working at ASA for fun (yeah right) or what. I did give them a call back in about 15 minuets just to cover my ass.

Latest resources

Back