• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Hiring, according to Air Inc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rumor I'm hearing is that we're scrambling to find sim time. For what, I don't know... unless maybe SkyWest is taking over our sims again.

I was talking to one of the night shift leads in MCN the other day, and he said they had been told to expect 20+ 700s to be converted to our certificate in the very near future, FWIW. Guy's a friend of mine and he hasn't given me bad info yet, so I'll hold off on the doom and gloom for the moment.

I saw a bunch of Brazilia's in new Delta colors in Hot springs the other day

Well, I'll tell ya whats going on. Over 150 have resigned since the beginning of the year. Scattered from the whole list. Currently, training has fallen apart. The quality of our latest new hires can not make it through the program in 8 sims. The average is around 12 according to our IP's. Most are flunking out. According to some inside sources, only 10 pilots made it to the line last month. Thats out of their class of 40. We need 30 to hit the line to keep up with attrition. We are about 75 short. In addition, the maturity of some 20 year old, 400 hour kids are not getting recommended past CPT's. They simply are not ready for this business. Our IP's are on overload. IOE is backed up for weeks. Partly due to most Check Airmen are moving on to other airlines and most new hires can't be signed off in the minimum time. Once the new contract gets signed, the Check Airmen will only make a few hundred a month over just flying the line. Look for all to quit the Standards Dept between a TA (whenever we get one) and member ratification. Also, heard rumblings that another airline offered thousands of dollars to a whole new-hire class for anyone to come over after they finished ASA's training program.

Bottom line, our management has had their eye off the ball too long and a perfect storm has brewed. I used to think we were being played, but I am now convinced that our leadership is completely incompetent.

Last edited:
Also, heard rumblings that another airline offered thousands of dollars to a whole new-hire class for anyone to come over after they finished ASA's training program.
I heard it was Delta. They have been hiring over-qualified, 1,800 hour, future chief pilots.

Well, I'll tell ya whats going on. Over 150 have resigned since the beginning of the year. Scattered from the whole list. Currently, training has fallen apart. The quality of our latest new hires can not make it through the program in 8 sims. The average is around 12 according to our IP's. Most are flunking out. According to some inside sources, only 10 pilots made it to the line last month. Thats out of their class of 40. We need 30 to hit the line to keep up with attrition. We are about 75 short. In addition, the maturity of some 20 year old, 400 hour kids are not getting recommended past CPT's. They simply are not ready for this business. Our IP's are on overload. IOE is backed up for weeks. Partly due to most Check Airmen are moving on to other airlines and most new hires can't be signed off in the minimum time. Once the new contract gets signed, the Check Airmen will only make a few hundred a month over just flying the line. Look for all to quit the Standards Dept between a TA (whenever we get one) and member ratification. Also, heard rumblings that another airline offered thousands of dollars to a whole new-hire class for anyone to come over after they finished ASA's training program.

Bottom line, our management has had their eye off the ball too long and a perfect storm has brewed. I used to think we were being played, but I am now convinced that our leadership is completely incompetent.

Ummmm...not to burst your bubble or anything, but only one person has washed out of training from the CPTs, and at most two have washed out from the sim training in the last few months. (I can get more specific and accurate numbers for you tomorrow.) In NO WAY are MOST not making it to the line. It is true that the average footprint and average hours/cycles have gone up, but what do you expect from new hires with such little time.

I don't think that training has fallen apart, we are just hiring very inexperienced candidates at the moment, and they are requiring more training. It is completely expected, and anticipated.

As far as the LCPs go, yes they are leaving at a record pace, largely because Majors love to hire the best from the pilot group. (Who better to hire than instructors.) Yes, as long as the majors are hiring we will continue to see such attrition. It is natural, and has no bearing on the health of ASA.

To the new guys, and people who care, none of this has anything to do with the health or potential future of ASA. It has to do with the regional and major hiring environment as a whole. Don't listen to these inflamatory posts that are all doom and gloom. They are just in it for the drama, or for the purpose of making themselves look important.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back