Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most important factor

These are the last and most definitive points on this topic:

1. Leather is just as professional looking as the blazer, if worn properly and of the correct size. When the gut gets to big to zip it up, get a new jacket. Just like the blazer.

2. The leather is much more functional than the blazer, mostly due to the pockets and inclement weather performance. With the professional appearance between the two being equal, leather wins, hands down.

3. Classic pilot hats are a throwback to a different time, much like knickers . Their functionallity is ludicrous at best. Not much good for keeping the sun out of your eyes and useless in bad weather. Put them out to pasture.

The US Army went to berets for all the wrong reasons. Esprit de corps and all that. They got rid of a really good headcover, which kept the sun out of your eyes and covered your ears in a pinch to prevent frostbite. All to make our soldiers appear more professional.

Pilots with no hats look more professional than pilots wearing what is now viewed as a ridiculous throwback.

4. Professional appearance is important, but goes way beyond throwback saucer caps and polyester blazers. It's about not having a gut, posture, personal grooming such as a haircut, nosehair, eybrows, and even your freakin ear hair....you old piece of crap, bad breath breathing, pants stretching, saucer cap loving idiot!!

5. And while you're at it, don't be telling me I need to wear a hat and polyester blazer to look professional while you haul your fat butt thru the airport, pulling that tattered flight-kit with about six big stupid stickers advertising your membership in every club from MILE HIGH to CSA (Cleveland Steamer Association).

I don't care if you like the hat, don't like the hat, wear the hat or don't wear the hat. Buscap is right - it is more than the hat. The "kids" with their backpacks and the old guys with stained shirts and guts are worse.

I really like the ALPA dude (Rez) telling us we would make more money if we wore our hats and voted for the Democrats. It is that line of thinking that has turned me off to ALPA.

Hats are leftovers from military era, when the majority of airline pilots came from the military. Therefore the only airline where hats should be mandatory is FedEx!

Sorry guys - couldn’t resist :)

“When pilots do informational picketing all of a sudden they want to be noticed and respected and paid more.”

Yeah, if I wear a hat I’ll get more respect!? Phuuulease - RezO.Luwshun - Respect is something that’s earned not worn!

Oh, almost forgot – RezO.Luwshun - ALPA sucks! ;)

3. Classic pilot hats are a throwback to a different time, much like knickers . Their functionallity is ludicrous at best. Not much good for keeping the sun out of your eyes and useless in bad weather. Put them out to pasture.

This may come across as a joke. . but I was taught that the hat isn't so much for sun out of eyes (which works good for me anyway in the summer) but to identify the pilots as figures of authority. It should say something that cops where the same hats. I was also taught that the hat is one of the few things you should make sure you have with you when you do an evacuation. A mob of people is much more apt to listen when the guy barking orders at them has a "stupid" looking hat on.

Still..... no one wants to adress directly, Dave Webb, MEC chairman, saying Hats were part of his efforts to get the LEADING contract.

No one has and so far no one CAN use professional reasons against the hat. The hat is all about image and perception. So far, it s all personal reasons why the hat is no good.

I really like the ALPA dude (Rez) telling us we would make more money if we wore our hats and voted for the Democrats. It is that line of thinking that has turned me off to ALPA.

That is ALPA fault for not explaining to you how your career works.

And that is your fault for wanting to be a professional pilot and not realizing HOW your career is determined.

All the kids with stars in thier eyes at ERAU, UND and the FBO's..... dreaming out flying big jets, with lots of days off and earning lots of money.. not ever realing that the way to all of that is thru politics.....

It is not really about Dems but simply pro pilot candidates.

The reason why FedEx is where it is today is because Fred Smith was successful on CapHill.

The reason why SWA is where it is today is because of their gains on CapHill.

It might be hard to believe but the reason ALPA is still around is because they have had success on CapHill.

It is easy for Fred Smith and Herb Kelleher to be effective. As CEO's they don't have to convince thier people that CapHill is the playing field.

However, ALPA has a hel! of a time convincing thier pilots.....

Last edited:
What is worse? Not wearing that ugly hat that usually is dirty and doesn't fit right or the lifer that hasn't seen his own penis since 1985 because his belly is so big?

For the the fatty is as bad as you can get. Get some of these lifers to lose some belly (maybe they eat too much because they earn so much).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back