• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of the ones I've seen who won't wear a hat are the guys with the $30 metro-sexual hair style who don't want to mess it up. After all they got up extra early to put the moose/gel/whatever in and make it stick up just right. And lets not forget the sideburns.

I remember when I used to worry over my hair like that. Let's see, I think it was in high school.

Last edited:
“Most of the ones I've seen who won't wear a hat are the guys with the $30 metro-sexual hair style who don't want to mess it up. After all they got up extra early to put the moose/gel/whatever in and make it stick up just right. And lets not forget the sideburns.”

Funny, most guys I’ve seen who really like wearing hats are either losing hair (Propecia-addicts), or short guys who hope to look taller, or the ones who just can’t get people to like them or to respect them - they think a hat will help them in that arena. ;)

Of course I’m generalizing here, if you like your hat more power to you; I’m just using “Jetstream’s” flawed (in my view) analogy. Too bad for someone with such a beautiful user name! :)

Seriously, I don’t like hats because I think it’s an old remnant of most airlines’ military beginnings (at the time most pilots came from the military). Today, I don’t see why we need to “look respectable” in order to be respected. I think your attitude and your demeanor will dictate whether you’ll get respect from others.

Btw., since hats are required by my airline I do wear it of course; however if I were given a choice I’d revert to the 70’s (or was it 60’s?) and burn my hat just like the women burned their bras then! :]

Today, I don’t see why we need to “look respectable” in order to be respected.

I think your attitude and your demeanor will dictate whether you’ll get respect from others.

Today? So yesterday or yester-year was different? How? How is it "before" we needed to "look respectable" but today we don't? Do we no longer need or want respect?

Attitude and demeanor? And yet there is another thread asking why passengers are rude to pilots? Perhaps passengers see a uniformed airport employee and assume "this pilot" is a TSA agent, porter or wheelchair usher.

Do you want to be respected more than a TSA Agent? Do you want to be credited with having a college degree, flight training and having the lives of your passengers in your hands? Or do you want to treated like you know the difference between a gel and turkey sandwhich?

If you don't then perhaps we shouldn't look like one who does...

Today? So yesterday or yester-year was different? How? How is it "before" we needed to "look respectable" but today we don't? Do we no longer need or want respect?

Attitude and demeanor? And yet there is another thread asking why passengers are rude to pilots? Perhaps passengers see a uniformed airport employee and assume "this pilot" is a TSA agent, porter or wheelchair usher.

Do you want to be respected more than a TSA Agent? Do you want to be credited with having a college degree, flight training and having the lives of your passengers in your hands? Or do you want to treated like you know the difference between a gel and turkey sandwhich?

If you don't then perhaps we shouldn't look like one who does...

yeah. they assume i can tell them there gate, where to grab a smoke, push their wheelchair, where their car is parked, etc, etc. i don't mind helping people one bit. but the hat doesn't seperate me from any other airline employee or service worker. i've had all of these situations occur while wearing the hat.

the hat needs to retire. the pay is gone. the retirement is gone. might as well keep my hair and sweat less.

“…Today? So yesterday or yester-year was different? How? How is it "before" we needed to "look respectable" but today we don't? Do we no longer need or want respect?”

If you’re going to quote me at least use it in the proper context. “Today” was clearly in reference to the previous sentence in my post which mentioned that hats are: “…an old remnant of most airlines’ military beginnings (at the time most pilots came from the military).” And since that is not the case today (except FedEx! ;)) I don’t see why we need them. Maybe it wasn’t so clear after all, but nevertheless that’s what I meant.

”…Attitude and demeanor? And yet there is another thread asking why passengers are rude to pilots?...”

Correct, there is also a follow up thread asking “Why are the pilots rude to the passengers?” Did you miss that thread or do read only the posts that might aid you in your rhetoric?

The thread you mentioned by the way proves my point. It IS your attitude and your demeanor that will earn you respect. The way you treat your passengers, they way you keep them informed when there are problems or delays, the way you help them find the correct gate (even if they travel on your competition), the way you push a wheel chair if you see that no one else is there to help and the passenger’s flight leaves in 5 minutes (even though that’s really NOT your job), etc, etc., WILL EARN you true respect, and not some phony “hat respect.”

In other words I believe your actions mean more than what you are wearing. You are a big ALPA proponent so maybe I’ll use this analogy. For example, when I see the sharpest looking GoJet pilot wearing a brand spanking new hat I don’t feel compelled to feel respect for the individual knowing that his or her uniform was not “earned” but rather “taken” from his or her brothers and sisters at TSA. I will not be rude to the individual but I have no respect for him/her either.

“…Perhaps passengers see a uniformed airport employee and assume "this pilot" is a TSA agent, porter or wheelchair usher…”

SO WHAT?! I mean, if they do what am I supposed to say? Do I say

“EXCUSE ME I am an A I R L I N E P I L O T, how dare you assume that I’m a porter, or worst yet a WHEELCHAIR USHER?! SHAME ON YOU!”

Please read what I said about earning respect – I’ve pushed many wheel chairs and each time I pretended it was my grand mother or my grand father I was helping out. Amazing how easy it is to be slightly unconventional when you’re helping “your own.”

”…Or do you want to treated like you know the difference between a gel and turkey sandwhich? If you don't then perhaps we shouldn't look like one who does...”

No, I just want to be treated like a good guy, someone who’s enjoyable to work with; but not because I have a pretty hat but because I’ve earned it.

yeah. they assume i can tell them there gate, where to grab a smoke, push their wheelchair, where their car is parked, etc, etc. i don't mind helping people one bit. but the hat doesn't seperate me from any other airline employee or service worker. i've had all of these situations occur while wearing the hat.

the hat needs to retire. the pay is gone. the retirement is gone. might as well keep my hair and sweat less.

You going to stop wearing your stripes when managment ratchets us down to the next level?

The trick is not to give in to the dumbing down of the profession. If wearing the hat is good enough for a SWA commercial to sell tickets and the FedEx pilots to get THE BEST CONTRACT, then it is good enough for me...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back