• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because the average American knows what unions are all about and doesn't like them. It just makes us look like we are crybabies in their eyes.

Your response could be percieved as opinion. Do you have any references, past experience (non personal) or resources?

so at my airline hats are optional during summer uniform...so am i less professional from April-October because i leave the sweatbucket at home during the summer?

so at my airline hats are optional during summer uniform...so am i less professional from April-October because i leave the sweatbucket at home during the summer?

Still argueing the hat from a personal viewpoint?

The FedEx guys wore thier hats in the middle of the MEM summer and they got the best contract in the biz....

Dave Webb could have used many examples at the Pattern Bargaining symposium to explain how his pilots got the best contract... he chose the hat.....

I've got my personal feeling about the hat, especially in summer... but I also know that the hat is a unique indicator of Air Line Pilots. It is a eye catching symbol that the public recognizes.... That image/symbol has value.

Still no real arguements against the hat from a professional viewpoint.

Anyone?

Last edited:
I've got my personal feeling about the hat, especially in summer... but I also know that the hat is a unique indicator of Air Line Pilots. It is a eye catching symbol that the public recognizes.... That image/symbol has value.

Still no real arguements against the hat from a professional viewpoint.
Anyone?

Alright. Here goes.

As I've said before, that classic pilot hat is very much a throwback. A throwback to the early days of aviation when maritime terms and symbology were adopted, giving a structure of authority to an endeaver which had none.

The pilot hat's status as a symbol of the profession, and thus the so callled 'professional image', is very much rooted in that seagoing tradition. But at least in the seagoing context, and some early aviation endeavors, the hat served a purpose.

The hat in our day is very much a symbol of blue collar labor. While not taking anything away from the myriad of technical and arduous endeavors falling under the 'blue collar' label, I would submit that the education, technical, and demeanor requirements of the Airline Pilot trade, take us outside the blue collar moniker.

While we are a generally unionized group, the challenges of modern economies have brought unions into many areas including professional education and medicine. Neither are considered 'blue collar'.

I submit that the hat actually brings us down as professionals, putting our image into the same throwback blue collar bin as milkmen, gas station clerks , and maytag repairmen.

Lose the hats.

Alright. Here goes.

As I've said before, that classic pilot hat is very much a throwback. A throwback to the early days of aviation when maritime terms and symbology were adopted, giving a structure of authority to an endeaver which had none.

This is only your opinion. Do you have a reference that suggests that hat is a throw back?

And yet every organization that wants to promote the image of a pilot or use the pilot image to promote thier product or service shows the pilot with the hat.

The pilot hat's status as a symbol of the profession, and thus the so callled 'professional image', is very much rooted in that seagoing tradition. But at least in the seagoing context, and some early aviation endeavors, the hat served a purpose.

Rooted in sea going tradition but made Air Line Tradition for over 75 years....

The hat in our day is very much a symbol of blue collar labor. While not taking anything away from the myriad of technical and arduous endeavors falling under the 'blue collar' label, I would submit that the education, technical, and demeanor requirements of the Airline Pilot trade, take us outside the blue collar moniker.

Maybe so, nonetheless, the Air Line Pilot hat has become a symbol of the profession. The latest SWA commerical is an example.

While we are a generally unionized group, the challenges of modern economies have brought unions into many areas including professional education and medicine. Neither are considered 'blue collar'.

Not sure what blue collar has to do with it. The hat like the stripes and shoulder boards have nothing to do with blue collar labor. Yet we are.

I submit that the hat actually brings us down as professionals, putting our image into the same throwback blue collar bin as milkmen, gas station clerks , and maytag repairmen.

No, milkmen (if they still exists and wear Air Line style hats), gas station clerks (huh???) and Maytag repiar man (you've really lost me...). But if you insist on using these types of non current examples, they were wearing the hat cause the hat image made by military types helped sell their service with trust and repsect.

Lose the hats.

You opinion against the hat is simply a justification to apease the convienence of not wearing the hat. The thought of not wearing that for all of its inconvienences is too attractive to pass up.....

All of your "ideas" are your own.... you have no reference to your opinion. I am open to any ideas that the hat is deterimental, but so far the "No Hat" crowd is simply pissed off legacy guys with no pension and neo-kids looking for personal comfort.

But yet SWA feels to sell thier tickets the image of an airline pilot wearing a hat is needed. They have had over 30 years profit.

FedEx pilots who normally don't wear hats, got hats and wore them. They now have the best contract in the biz.

Does anyone have a valid professional arguement against the hat. Why is it that SWA and FedEx, the money makers, use the hat? and if the hat is good any given day then why not every day?

To show the hat doesn't work, an example needs to be shown of how the hat costs an organization, whether it is a company or an MEC, money or promotes a poor image to the public.

We all know the hat is cumbersome. So are line checks, 0500 shows, CDOs, Junior Manning, PT events, medicals and all of the other sacrfices that we make as professionals. But at some point to claim professional status we have to put aside personal gain (in this case sacrficing image for convienence).

Anyone?

Last edited:
I didn't like hats until I went bald. The hat keeps me warm.

Btw, how many of you that don't like wearing uniform hats wear baseball caps on your day off?

All of your "ideas" are your own.... you have no reference to your opinion. I am open to any ideas that the hat is deterimental, but so far the "No Hat" crowd is simply pissed off legacy guys with no pension and neo-kids looking for personal comfort.

But yet SWA feels to sell thier tickets the image of an airline pilot wearing a hat is needed. They have had over 30 years profit.

FedEx pilots who normally don't wear hats, got hats and wore them. They now have the best contract in the biz.

Does anyone have a valid professional arguement against the hat. Why is it that SWA and FedEx, the money makers, use the hat? and if the hat is good any given day then why not every day?

To show the hat doesn't work, an example needs to be shown of how the hat costs an organization, whether it is a company or an MEC, money or promotes a poor image to the public.

We all know the hat is cumbersome. So are line checks, 0500 shows, CDOs, Junior Manning, PT events, medicals and all of the other sacrfices that we make as professionals. But at some point to claim professional status we have to put aside personal gain (in this case sacrficing image for convienence).

Anyone?

Ok. I'll fess up. I lost my hat and I'm too cheap to get a new one!!!

Just kidding.

But where's my scotch??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back