• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why are you people still arguing this? If you don't want to wear the hat then don't. If you want to look like Barney the purple dinosaur then wear the hat. Its really that simple.

Hey Scotty, can we ditch the tie too? :)

VOTED IN FAVOR!
WWW.NOPILOTLEFTBEHIND.COM

I can't believe this thread is still going. I would rather wear a dress shirt, slacks, dress jacket, tie, polished black shoes to work. It is more professional and less dorky looking. Lets face it the hat and bars on our shoulders make us look like we are ready to swing from the ceiling on a rope and drop off into a boat to set sail looking for the next treasure chest.

I can't believe this thread is still going. I would rather wear a dress shirt, slacks, dress jacket, tie, polished black shoes to work. It is more professional and less dorky looking. Lets face it the hat and bars on our shoulders make us look like we are ready to swing from the ceiling on a rope and drop off into a boat to set sail looking for the next treasure chest.

Sounds like you are ready for a corporate gig....

Rez o lewshun, I agree with you 100% but he will NEVER get it. Stop wasting your time. It's inconvenient, therefore he will dig out 1001 reasons why he shouldn't wear it. Period.

Rez, while I hate the hat in the summer, I must agree with you on all your points. I spoke with the FED EX chairman last week at the US Air picketing event, and he and another FED EX pilot stated the same thing about the hat. They bought them for just such occasions. They also wore them for the Airways event. I can tell you first hand that the the pilots at the picketing event did look sharp, it would have not been the same without the hat.
I think I picked up on something reading this whole thread, most of the guys who hate the hat say they do because they feel they look like a dork or something similar. I felt the same way at first as I had never worn a hat before. I never thought anyone else looked stupid, after all it is what pilots wear, it was just me. Maybe many of the guys wanting no hat are thinking something like that.

Fr8master,

Thanks for the reply...

Here is my first post on this thread, post #4.

Whenever pilots complain about the hat it is always argued from a personal perspective.. it looks dorky, it's uncomfortable, etc.... But what does the public think.... (watch the replies to this thread... there will be no pragmaitc arguement: pilots will agrue personal reasons and try to speak for the public, managment etc.. But there will no effective professional arguement against the hat...)

This isn't my opinion. I've simply surveyed the landscape and reported what I've seen. The hat sells the pilot image. The leather doesn't negatively impact the image.

My personal opinion doesn't matter. What matters is how the public and Wall Street perceive our image.

Rez, while I hate the hat in the summer, I must agree with you on all your points. I spoke with the FED EX chairman last week at the US Air picketing event, and he and another FED EX pilot stated the same thing about the hat. They bought them for just such occasions. They also wore them for the Airways event. I can tell you first hand that the the pilots at the picketing event did look sharp, it would have not been the same without the hat.
I think I picked up on something reading this whole thread, most of the guys who hate the hat say they do because they feel they look like a dork or something similar. I felt the same way at first as I had never worn a hat before. I never thought anyone else looked stupid, after all it is what pilots wear, it was just me. Maybe many of the guys wanting no hat are thinking something like that.

ok...so let's follow the lead of FedEx and SWA, etc. to appease Rez. i'll wear mine in a picket line. otherwise it should be optional. the hat is stupid. if that's what it takes to convince shareholders to pay up then we have really lost our muscle.

ALPA must begin to 'think beyond the hat'. i have hope for the Prater regime. he seems to get it.

Public opinion? I am using what FedEx MEC Chair DW said (We got out pilots hats and we got a the best contract) as my basis for public opinion.

If this is true why did it take so long for FEDEX pilots to get a contract? Under your reasoning day after first info picketing a contract should have been signed. Didn't happen. Try another reason.

ok...so let's follow the lead of FedEx and SWA, etc. to appease Rez. i'll wear mine in a picket line. otherwise it should be optional. the hat is stupid. if that's what it takes to convince shareholders to pay up then we have really lost our muscle.

Why is the hat stupid?

Appease me? Why? It has nothing to do with me. I have simply taken the reading and reported the value on the instrument. Is it me or the facts? If I tell you it is raining outside why get made at me? Why get mad at the rain? It is what it is....

Do you guys read the thread to engage in the debate or do you just keep stating your original thoughts?

ALPA must begin to 'think beyond the hat'. i have hope for the Prater regime. he seems to get it.

Beyond the hat? OK? Like how?

Prater? What do you hope in Prater?

I am wondering you guys really understanding how this career works. Sure you want the pay and work rules but when the HOW is explain to you, it's like trying to get a teenager to do his homework....

Latest resources

Back