• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

When NWA was having a survey of the pilots to see if they wanted the leather jacket, one of the NWA MEC reps sent out an email to his pilots that included his response to the survey. Part of that response was this: "I (personally) think wearing a leather jacket diminishes our image as professionals, which may be the intent." I believe he's absolutely right. You are playing right into management's hands and helping them along in destroying the image of the professional air line pilot.

These are the same "Professionals" that agreed to a 39% wage concession and the loss of their DB retirement plan.
Maybe they need to learn contract negotiation from some "blue coller" teamsters in the trucking industry. (Master Freight Agreement)

I actually really do not care about the "pilot image". What the public thinks is obviously irrelevant. If they wanted pilots with hats so bad then they would fly on the airlines that have pilots that wear hats. One of the previous posters brought up a good point. Bell boys wear hats, love boat captains wear hats, skycaps wear hats etc etc. The bottom line is wearing a hat does not distinguish a pilot from any other transportation/service related profession.

All I really care about is making a decent wage and being able to enjoy my life. Currently I am doing both. I do my job, go home when im done and go find a good joint where the pianos hot and the gin is cold.. I really have no desire to get an industry leading bar raising contract. As long as we sit around 2nd or 3rd im perfectly content with that. I am not content with being at the bottom but as long as we are in the mid to upper tier I am happy. I don't need a hat to tell me I am a professional. I pass my checkrides, I know my SOP pretty well, I am friendly to passengers, I do all I can to make the airline on time, etc. I do all this without a hat and we usually have pretty happy passengers.

Although I have posted on this thread more than once, I am going to go ahead and nominate this thread for "dumbest discussion ever". We, as pilots, are being assaulted at every turn. The blazer won't make a difference. The hat won't make a difference. Rez, et. al., you can proudly wear your hat all day long. As long as someone else is there to undercut you, it ain't gonna make one damm bit o' difference.

I can see the discussion at some G/O right now....

"You know, airline X can do the job better and cheaper than airline Y"
"True, but airline Y makes their pilots wear hats."
"Excellent point. Airline Y must employ only true professionals. Who should we go with."
"I'd say airline X is better for the bottom line and for the stockholders"

But, hey, if it makes you feel better wear the hat.

For the record, I've picketed without the hat, and I don't think it took away from the point my sign was trying to make.......

Last edited:
I would submit that airlines are making the leather part of the uniform simply because it diminishes our authority and respect. It's one more step towards making us nothing but a bunch of blue-collar workers. When NWA was having a survey of the pilots to see if they wanted the leather jacket, one of the NWA MEC reps sent out an email to his pilots that included his response to the survey. Part of that response was this: "I (personally) think wearing a leather jacket
diminishes our image as professionals, which may be the intent." I believe he's absolutely right. You are playing right into management's hands and helping them along in destroying the image of the professional air line pilot.

Valid point.... your arguement against the leather is mine against the hat.

I don't think the leather deminishes our image. It just displays it differently. I think not wearing the hat waters us down. Dilutes us...

If you admit that one is better than the other, then why do you continue to wear the leather? If you agree that the blazer is better, then it seems to me that you would do what is "better." Why wear something inferior?

I think the blazer is sharper whilst the leather is more practical. Both have its bennies. I am grey on the issue... it is not black and white. I can see the pro and cons to both. I am compromising on the issue...

Hey, I'm not that opposed to the glycol. ;)

But do you know how glycol feels about you!

I actually really do not care about the "pilot image". What the public thinks is obviously irrelevant. If they wanted pilots with hats so bad then they would fly on the airlines that have pilots that wear hats. One of the previous posters brought up a good point. Bell boys wear hats, love boat captains wear hats, skycaps wear hats etc etc. The bottom line is wearing a hat does not distinguish a pilot from any other transportation/service related profession.

Translation: I don't want to work. I'm lazy, apathetic.. you know I am the consummate definition of ....whatever...

All I really care about is making a decent wage and being able to enjoy my life. Currently I am doing both. I do my job, go home when im done and go find a good joint where the pianos hot and the gin is cold.. I really have no desire to get an industry leading bar raising contract. As long as we sit around 2nd or 3rd im perfectly content with that. I am not content with being at the bottom but as long as we are in the mid to upper tier I am happy. I don't need a hat to tell me I am a professional. I pass my checkrides, I know my SOP pretty well, I am friendly to passengers, I do all I can to make the airline on time, etc. I do all this without a hat and we usually have pretty happy passengers.

But I want the reward.. give me what I want. I say I'll accept 2 or 3rd but really 4th or 5th is fine... 6th if it means you'll quite bothering me....

Newman... I have rode you like a showpony for this whole thread. You are like my ten year old; bull headed and insistant on being, despite counter productive attitudes. I don't know if you are young, dumb or flamebaiting. Well maybe some others will point out your destructive attitudes to this profession and kindly invite to find another job. I shudder to think the choices you'd make during a job action...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back