• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA contract.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What has been started? Negotiations are slow, that's the way it is. They're not doing IBB any more and things might speed up now that they are entering mediated contract talks. But talk of a strike is premature. There probably won't even be a strike vote until there is a TA to vote down, and we won't even know if it's worth voting down until we get it, maybe in the fall. But the liklihood that there would be a strike just to speed things up is not realistic.

Last edited:
General:
I bet Dalpa is looking into it, and if you look at ALPA National and their USAir policies---you might not like their way of doing things.
So you think DALPA will start pursuing a J4J scenario? I doubt it, since it would undermine whatever case ALPA has in the RJDC litigation. Not to mention there's not a single ASA pilot I know who will vote to allow it to willingly happen to us.

I bet there are some furloughed pilots that would take your rates to fly again--until they can fly a larger plane at mainline
They have this option now - ASA will hire furloughees without requiring them to give up their seniority number. VERY few have taken us up on it , so why would there suddenly be a change of heart?

RJflyer,

I know ASA is hiring our guys---and I honestly think that is great. But, when it comes to higher pay at Mainline, I would believe that our returning furloughs would PREFER the higher pay vs 1st year at ASA. So, I doubt they would chose the 1st year deal at ASA---no offense. It will be up to Dalpa and Grinstein----and I think a J4J senario is more likely---rather than 1st year ASA pay. But, don't get me wrong---I think you guys have been great to our furloughs, and there will still be eventual reciprocation on our part---and that will be a FACT.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :cool:

So you're saying that while you appreciate what the ASA pilots did for you, you would prefer to simply take all the 70's yourself?

The 70 seat CRJ is NOT a mainline aircraft......you would be doing a HUGE diservice to the industry to have this aircraft at the mainline.

Now, getting a furloughed pilot his/her job back is and should be a top priority, having the 70's at mainline to stimulate this would be a MAJOR step back in what many want to see at any mainline. Just look at USAIR and what they agreed to in order to help save some of their jobs. That's not ment as a slam but it is the reality of the situation.

I do fly the 70 seat CRJ, and while it is very fast and has a very good range, it is still a "regional" jet. I say this because it is every 50 seat crj you see with 20 more seats and nothing more.

Last edited:
Why doesn't ASA close the hiring doors and bring back all willing DAL furloughs into the available positions. For seniority/bidding purposes they could be at the bottom of the list but for pay purposes they could be paid the F/O rate for the assigned a/c using their longevity from DAL.

Nobody on our list is bumped..nobody is furloughed from ASA because all positions are filled on an as-needed basis only just as if we were hiring off the street..and the furloughed guys are making almost double 1st year rates. Maybe later on down the road the favor will be returned by letting us keep our DOH for non-rev and benefits while being at the bottom for seniority, if we chose to apply at mainline when things turn around.

I know it's not up to us...just an idea

Last edited:
Nindiri,

I never said all of the 70 seaters. Maybe just the NEW ones coming on line. That may not sound good to you, but niether did the parking of all of the 727s, L1011s, and 13 MD11s to us. It would suck. But, the key here is that we may have 30-50 furloughs coming back each month for awhile---and where will they go? We aren't getting any new 100 seaters yet.....Should we just pay them to sit? Or, should we continue to hire new ASA pilots at the same time many of our guys are sitting? They may want to sit at home and get paid, but that probably won't help our company. Don't get me wrong---our furloughs DESERVE to come back NOW---but it would be nice if they could actually fly something---and the only thing I see coming that might be new are the NEW CR7s. Can somebody else come up with a better idea? (one that doesn't include 1st year ASA pay when they would be making 5 times that sitting at home---doesn't make sense....)

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

rjcap said:
Metro,

If you choose to let someone else speak for yourself thats fine.

I speak for myself and I have had enough of the B.S.

Go get 'em tiger!

rjcap said:

ASACAP is correct. The pilots need to stop doing everybody elses job. The ramp may have improved but it is still a joke. Crew scheduling is still a joke. Our current contract is still a joke.

I do my job. Sometimes that job includes a polite reminder to ops that the $hitter still needs to be dumped. I didn't say that we should jump on the honey wagon and do it ourselves.

Scheduling sucks, no doubt about that.

Our contract is in need of some big changes.

Let the negotiating comittee do their job under the new arbitrators guidance for a while before you start your little crusade.

That is all I am saying.

FL000 said:
The most annoying sentence in the American workplace:

"That's not my job."

My passengers have paid for a product: safe and timely transportation from point A to point B. I will give that to them to the best of my ability, no matter what it takes. It's the way I was raised and the way I have served in every job I've ever had.

Well said!!!

The "Not my job" attitude is what is wrong with the ground service in the first place.

General Lee said:
RJflyer,

I know ASA is hiring our guys---and I honestly think that is great. But, when it comes to higher pay at Mainline, I would believe that our returning furloughs would PREFER the higher pay vs 1st year at ASA. So, I doubt they would chose the 1st year deal at ASA---no offense. It will be up to Dalpa and Grinstein----and I think a J4J senario is more likely---rather than 1st year ASA pay. But, don't get me wrong---I think you guys have been great to our furloughs, and there will still be eventual reciprocation on our part---and that will be a FACT.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :cool:

Sounds like it might be time for me to join the RJDC. If this happens, most of us at ASA have nothing to lose. We might as well destroy ALPA in the process.

Latest resources

Back