ASA contract.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palerider957

Well folks, here it is. Apparently management has truly dug in their heels and decided to drag out negotiations until the next ice age.

According to the ASA MEC, Mgmt. won't even agree to a TA to improve the accuracy of hotel telephone numbers on our trip pairings. Many issues have been brought up, with absolutely no progress. The greviances filed are being challenged by managment on every level (even the ones they can't hope to win), and the DAL/ASA lawyers are getting rich, to the tune of $77,000 a month to beat up on ASA negotiators.

The likelyhood of seeing those 25 jets on our property is pretty slim as negotiations heat up. I fully expect management to try to play ASA and CMR against each other---trying to gain the phantom jets.

We were told to expect a Comair crew base in ATL within the next few months. I'll admit it makes me a bit frustrated to see a CMR base in ATL, but I know this is a management thing, I still see CMR pilots as brothers in a long war.

IMHO we are looking at 1-1/2 years before a new contract is in place.

Any thoghts............:mad:

Management hates us...

There have been statements from National Mediation Board members that there is so little good faith and progress in our grievances (not contract, mind you) and subsequent mediations/arbitrations that they have actually considered pulling their services from ASA. This has NEVER happened in the history of the NMB. The group ASA has at the table has been extremely uninterested, unprepared and uncooperative during the last couple of months it is sickening. Of course Skip stated a year ago that he wanted to get a contract done as quick as possible. They are ridiculous and worthless as a group. It has also been said that our contract manager (company side) actually stated in an open grievance hearing that it is in the company's favor (economically)to violate the contract in certain situations. "Excuse me sir, please speak closer to the microphone." I absolutely expect the 25 jets to be used against us in the near future. Nothing like pissing off 1600 pilots, right?

Re: Management hates us...

Ted Striker said:
I absolutely expect the 25 jets to be used against us in the near future. Nothing like pissing off 1600 pilots, right?

Those of us here for contract 98 remember a certain mediator and her favorite word "Outlandish"

I fully expect the 25 jets to be but one of many chips management uses in the upcoming year or 2 or 4.

Personally, I know I could match or exceed my ASA salary in a number of other non flying jobs tomorrow if need be. Wonder if the egomaniacs on Virginia Ave can say the same thing.

I really think they're underestimating the level of anger and resentment they're generating.

After giving it a lot of thought, I've come down to 2 possible explanations:

1) (The less likely) Jerry, and Leo before him, are looking for an excuse to file CH11 at mainline. They have lots of cash, so they'd need a pretty big financial jolt to do it. An ASA strike could be just the excuse Jerry needs to hit the mainline guys with CH11.

2) They really ARE that f*cking stupid.

Maybe we can start another poll.

Re: Re: Management hates us...

CF34-3B1 said:
2) They really ARE that f*cking stupid.

Maybe we can start another poll. [/B]

Put me down for #2.

We all remember when SB said he wanted to finish the contract quickly, now we have ground to a halt.

On the positive side, the MEC said we have very positive communication with the Comair MEC, and recent feedback from the DAL MEC has also been positive.

As far as stupidity, I think it's more of a power trip. The EGO won't let them just give us a decent contract. I don't think they want a strike, but they love to watch us squirm a bit--let's us know "who's boss." If we were a privately owned company (i.e. Air Wisc.) you would see them bend over backwards to come to an agreement. Any ASA strike expends shareholder $$ not private funds, how much money is a DCI ego trip worth?? $500million, a billion?? I wish I could say they aren't willing to spend this kind of cash to prevent us from making progress, but Comair proved that wrong.

I don't know how the negotiators hold their temper. If I were negotiating, and the penci-neck DCI b1tch, told me that he's not willing to TA more accurate telephone #'s on trip pairings, I would probably come across the table and choke the fu#$%r.

The amount of jealousy, and bitterness coming out of management is amazing. I guess they all wanted to be pilots when they were kids, but momma made them go get an accounting degree. I guess some people really need to feel important, even if it's in an extroidinarily negative way....."I have the power to say NO."

All this does not bode well, but I am confident that our negotiators are working hard on our behalf.

I was attacked for saying it in another thread, but like I said before, these 25 DCI aircraft will never see an ASA ramp. It is all a ploy.

As for Comair, I'm sure that they are glad to be getting a new base. It doesn't seem to be hurting their feelings too much to take our flying and weaken our bargaining positions in ATL. At least based on how I see them acting in ATL.

sleepy said:
I was attacked for saying it in another thread, but like I said before, these 25 DCI aircraft will never see an ASA ramp. It is all a ploy.

As for Comair, I'm sure that they are glad to be getting a new base. It doesn't seem to be hurting their feelings too much to take our flying and weaken our bargaining positions in ATL. At least based on how I see them acting in ATL.

Easy man, CMR guys just go where they're told to go---just like us. When we have resolved our contract and CMR heads into sec. 6, look for ASA to open a CVG base---just politics.

This is no time to start a shooting war with CMR. Right now all the WO's have is each other.

to leave my regional or not?

Guys --

I currently fly in the dci system but, I commute. I have been considering leaving due to the QOL that I have now commuting out of DFW. It is not great, as all of us know that commute. I have an interview scheduled with ASA but, now I see this news on the boards regarding the contract and what may be in store. Let me ask you ASA guys this: would it be safer and better, in your opinions to stay here and just put up with the commuting or go ahead and jump ship now for a better QOL w/o the commute out of DFW? Is the future at ASA looking bad due to this contract? What is the upgrade time looking like over there? Tell me what you think out there and let me have it... I will appreciate all your views...

sleepy said:

Hey Sleepy,

We at Comair do support you guys. We 100% support you and hope you get everything you deserve. We hope your management gets their heads out of their a##es. We wish we WERE NOT in ATLANTA and DO NOT want to hurt your bargaining postions at all! I don't know why you get the impression we like it there or want to even be there one bit! The Atlanta base is going to go VERY VERY VERY junior. Nobody wants to got there. They're probably going to have to junior man many Captains and FOs. Sleepy, you guys are our brothers, and you need to see the truth. We Support you!

Like Palerider957 said we're just doing what we're told. By the way Palerider, you seem like a class act and you represent ASA well. Thanks for seeing things how they are.

Jetflyer

Latest resources

Back