• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oakum_Boy

Ditto!!!!

701EV

Just a thought, but it may not be good policy to discuss these things in a public forum. Maybe they can be discussed in an ALPA forum where all the participants are pilots.

Even still, the write-ups to upset management probably shouldn't be discussed in the ALPA boards either since management reads them. Remember, Northwest Airlines got a court order to go into their flight attendents' computers and retrieve emails. Careful out there! Just two words for all ASA pilots, fly safe!

I think part of the reason management is dragging their heels is they don't know what is going to happen up a DAL. DAL would love to convert those 25 200's into 700's, perhaps something even bigger. (Easy General, take a deep breath.)

I think GG knows what he wants to do, but he knows DALPA will never agree to the breadth and depth of cuts at mainline and growth at the regionals....this is no excuse, but I think it does factor in, BK may be the only solution to longterm survival at DAL.

DAL will NOT tolerate an ASA strike, they simply can't afford it....

Another serious consideration is the power and influence of DALPA (who also fears an ASA strike and the effect on DAL pilots) with ALPA natonal. They could refuse us our strike benefits and generally make life very difficult for us. This combined with the NMB who is not very sympathetic to regional pilots, especially those with the power and moxy to tank one of the biggest legacy carriers.

I agree that it will soon be time to follow the "letter of the law." Although this also impacts our quality of life negatively.

What is so frustrating is that we are not asking for that much, just a fair contract for a NATIONAL airline. I would accept significant QOL improvement in lieu of major pay increases (but not one penny less than CMR).

This struggle has just begun.
:mad:

palerider,

I have taken a deep breath, and I also wonder where DAL will put some of those returning furloughs? I think Chap 11 will be avoided (even Duane Worthe just stated in an article that he thinks we will come to an agreement---just after looking at the new "plan")---but Dalpa is fighting for the return of the furloughs---and they may go to any NEW CR7s. You guys may get your raise or keep your current pay (I don't know)---but we have to put these returning pilots somewhere---and I don't know if we can get new 100 seaters fast enough.....You guys have expanded while we were contracting---and now it will flip flop. Just something to think about......

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

General:

I hate to say it out loud, but I don't think your furloughees are high on the priority list for DALPA. When I was jumpseating to DEN a few weeks ago, I talked to the Captain about these issues. We had a pleasant and direct conversation.

When I asked him point blank how much political capital he would be willing to expend to help the furloughees--without blinking an eye said "not much--that's just the industry." I heard this attitude from more than one fellow at DAL. The senior guys will seek to secure their pensions and lump sums, while the middle guys will want job security.

This is not unique to DAL, the ASA pilot group would probably vote along demographic lines as well. So there is it, if you have more pilots with 15-20 years on, they will look for the quick gain (or self preservation) at pretty much any costs to junior guys---this is of course if they can get the bulk to vote for it. Some kind of a bone would have to be given to the middle seniority guys--enough to get 50.1 vote. I'd bet the bottom third of your seniority lists will be savaged with additional furloughs, pay cuts (possible b-scale), and degraded work rules.

I know you say you have a contract--and you do, but I'm willing to bet the top 50.1% is not willing to take a hit for the bottom 49.9%...history is replete with labor examples like this. I don't say this to be an as.shole, it's just my read on the situation.

As for the 700's, why would DAL put DALPA pilots in them?? They have absolutely no incentive to do this.

If I were a DAL furloughee, I'd do my best to stay current and try like he.ll to get to Airtran, JB, SW, Virgin USA.

palerider,

I know that sounds like the norm---but that is not what is happening. Dalpa has made an effort to ensure that the furloughs know that they will be taken care of--primarily because if they are not---there will be a large exodus from Dalpa when they come back. Most of the ex-Western pilots--mostly LA and SLC based, are NOT members of ALPA--primarily because they thought they were SCREWED way back when. Just think of more than 1000 current furloughs getting screwed, and the number above that who could get screwed if any more were to occur. I know there are some senior a$$holes that like to think that they deserve top pay and like to think that 9-11 never happened---but make sure you ask them "what they did during their own furlough?..." Likely it never happened. I have talked to many MEC members and they have said they are a "furlough friendly MEC"---because more than one member on the MEC was furloughed in '91---and they know how it feels. Also, even our MEC chair Malone stated that not one group would benefit over the others---so, that means the senior guys will not win and junior guys lose. (Malone was the C2K negotiator and wrote the No Furlough Clause and scope Clause---not good for you guys) If the senior guys tried to raise the cap to make up for lost pay--most of those middle seniority guys would get bumped down a couple aircraft seats--resulting in a double or triple pay cut. Not gonna happen. Most people like their time off and would rather stay on their equipment type and not have to go back to training. Only the very senior would stay on their equipment types if they raise the cap---and they are the minority, although very vocal.(just like at Comair and ASA) There may be some partial losses here and there, but not one clear winner--regardless of seniority. Most of those senior guys are bailing due to the low Gatt rate--or higher lump sum---and that is ending on June 1st. We may have 250-300 SENIOR Capts leaving then---and when a senior guy leaves--many move up. That is another reason the senior guys won't get it all. Most of them would NOT have moved up to their new equipment had the newly retired senior guys not left early (a lot left at 55 years old or even younger). They have moved up one or two equipment types---and their subsequent pay cut will not be as bad had the other guys not retired early and gave them the spots. Make sense? Some people thought Dalpa might screw over the 1060 by not accepting a recall---but that is NOT the case. Ask that same DL Capt you talked to now what he thinks? I bet he didn't see that coming---Dalpa is negotiating the recall rates NEXT WEEK. I bet that senior guy is "browning his shorts" now.

As far as the CR7s---I wonder what Delta will do with the recalls? They know they can't just not pay them for a long time and have them do nothing---so they will PROBABLY try to negotiate something with Dalpa---and look what ALPA National has been doing--like with USAir......Believe it or not--Grinstein does NOT want this thing to go Chap 11---he and his new team will lose control---and he doesn't want that. He will have to include these furloughs in his new plans---and the only NEW airplanes coming are 12 CR7s this year.......make your own conclusions---and I would love to see what that guy you talked to a few weeks ago thinks about the recalls.....That blind sided him---no doubt. You said it was a few weeks ago---and the Dalpa announcement was last week. But, you have a chance of being right---because we all don't know what really will happen. But, they are meeting soon (near future) to decide the recall rate---and that is for sure....(as of 6:57 pm Sunday ATL time anyways.....)

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

PS: Here is the actual message from Dalpa to the furloughs--be sure to copy it and give it to that DL Capt.....

Furlough Recall Update
April 30, 2004

Today, Delta informed ALPA that management agrees with the Association that the furlough recall trigger has been met, per the arbitrator's ruling. We will be meeting with management in the near future to discuss the recall.

;)

Last edited:
rjcap said:
Big deal !

I'm ready to vote right now.

That doesn't even make any sense. Listen to your reps. They will tell you when to get your thong bunched up.

My MEC speaks for me.

MetroSheriff,

Sometimes the MEC needs a little help. Management needs to understand how important it is to treat us with respect. They are being very disrespectfull towards us. Sometimes you need to stand up and let them know that this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. They need to negotiate in good faith or face the consequences. It's that simple.

My MEC speaks for me.

Metro,

If you choose to let someone else speak for yourself thats fine.

I speak for myself and I have had enough of the B.S.

ASACAP is correct. The pilots need to stop doing everybody elses job. The ramp may have improved but it is still a joke. Crew scheduling is still a joke. Our current contract is still a joke.

Latest resources

Back