• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Considers iPad EFBs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not true, they have been available in .PDF form for many years and any reader that can read .PDFs (sony, kindle, iPad, etc) can access them.

Yes, you could previously have viewed Jepp plates printed as .pdf on iPad.

That's not exactly the same thing as having a user-friendly, dedicated chart viewer application like Jepp Mobile TC is.

Does anyone here have an iPad...there is NO WAY that it would hold up to the beating it would take as an EFB. Way too fragile...thats why the currently approved EFB's are "currently approved"...because they are very resiliant. One day of use and that delicate screen would be shattered.

Does anyone here have an iPad...there is NO WAY that it would hold up to the beating it would take as an EFB. Way too fragile...thats why the currently approved EFB's are "currently approved"...because they are very resiliant. One day of use and that delicate screen would be shattered.

Here's the iPads newest problem. This won't work in a hot cockpit.
...the iPad will shut itself off after remaining in direct sunlight for long enough...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/28/lawsuit.filed.overheating.ipads/index.html?hpt=T2

Last edited:
I think a better solution would be the Kindle, it wouldn't be so fragile and at $139, who cares. That's for the WiFi version. The battery lasts a month. Bring it inside once every 2 weeks and run an update. I'd much rather do that than leaf thru my updates manually. We've got a captain that has been trying to approach management about using the Kindle. Not sure, can it run apps? Cause if it's just PDFs that's not going to work.

Jepp has a program for the iPad now, just released. How long do you think it would take to get 121 approval for it? The iPad will be obsolete by that time....

So where is this thing plugging in to? A proprietary Apple/ARINC module? It's a pipe dream. How about buying off-the-shelf technology that's meant for professional use and not some GA toy.

Check the specs for ALL previously FAA approved EFB hardware systems (both Class 1 and II). Every one of them has a maximum operating temperature of 95 degrees f. The difference now is that the iPad goes standby to protect itself when exceeding 95 degrees while all the others continue operating until they hard-fail if operated overtemp long enough.

When the iPad goes into shutdown mode, it can be restored simply by placing it out of the sun (or in a cooler area) for about 3 minutes. It is much tougher than any existing EFB system (except for the Panasonic Toughbook, which is too big for normal cockpit use). The only way I have been able to get mine to overheat is to place it on the glareshield.

the ipad has a major problem that if you actually use it more than 24 times and not use it as table decoration, it actually explodes.

Latest resources

Back