• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Considers iPad EFBs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a recent RGT speach by SH, HE brought up the fact that ASA was looking into replacing ALL the pubs with a iPad EFB. Said the bigest stumbling block was the battery and blocking the internet.... Seems like if they are down to those hurtles, that they are pretty far along in the process... Sure would be nice to carry that insted of the 40lb flight kit! Maybe this is their solution to the W&B problems with the CRJ!

Would this alleviate the need for each pilot to pack 3 bags and flight case for a 4 day and put them all in the overheads so as to keep the paying pax from using the bins?

I just flew on a ASA flight with a full crew on DH to DTW and there was zero overhead space from row 10 back on a CRJ700. Man, you guys can really pack some stuff. Its comical watching you guys pulling your trains of bags around in ATL. Pink or green tags, or whatever they are for you guys, learn to use them. You can even go down and get them yourself with your SIDA badges!!!

Would this alleviate the need for each pilot to pack 3 bags and flight case for a 4 day and put them all in the overheads so as to keep the paying pax from using the bins?

I just flew on a ASA flight with a full crew on DH to DTW and there was zero overhead space from row 10 back on a CRJ700. Man, you guys can really pack some stuff. Its comical watching you guys pulling your trains of bags around in ATL. Pink or green tags, or whatever they are for you guys, learn to use them. You can even go down and get them yourself with your SIDA badges!!!

You ever heard of rampers losing a crew member's bag on day 1 of a 4 day? Sorry, but the bags stay in the cabin - where the company say's they are supposed to be! Thanks for the tip, though.

Think I might pack an extra back as if I'm going on an excursion now. Thanks, doosher!

You ever heard of rampers losing a crew member's bag on day 1 of a 4 day? Sorry, but the bags stay in the cabin - where the company say's they are supposed to be! Thanks for the tip, though.

You ever heard of doing a walk around after each leg? Never had my bag pulled in 7 years of commuter flying. If your policy is for you to put the 27 inch Purdy, tote, and backpack in the bins, then that is where they need to be. Tell management thanks for the job security.

You ever heard of doing a walk around after each leg? Never had my bag pulled in 7 years of commuter flying. If your policy is for you to put the 27 inch Purdy, tote, and backpack in the bins, then that is where they need to be. Tell management thanks for the job security.

HA! Hilarious! I recently WALKED my bag from the jetbridge to HAND it to the rampers at the back of the plane, asked them to put it in the cargo bin - all with crew tags all over it - and guess what? It didn't get on! More recently, my FO's bag was on the jetbridge, and 3 different agents/rampers asked and were told this was a crew bag and it was going back on. Guess what? Someone took that bag off the jetbridge and put it on the aircraft parked at the next gate! I've had a flight attendant walk out on the ramp for the first flight of the day and put her bag on the cart. When we left, no bags on the cart......they put it in the back with all the other bags, right? Nope. Some genius grabbed it off the cart and sent it to baggage claim thinking it was left there OVERNIGHT!!!! Sorry, that plan still doesn't work, and I'm too busy on a 20 min turn to babysit bags!

As any flight attendant who pink tags her/his bag. They'll tell you about the times it never made it to the overnight. Bad idea. As far as overpacking, it has to do partially with the fact that most of our guys are slam clickers and pack 5 days worth of food, their computer, two pairs of running shoes, sweaters, jackets, clothing, and for some strange reason, just one uniform shirt for 5 days.

. As far as overpacking, it has to do partially with the fact that most of our guys are slam clickers and pack 5 days worth of food, their computer, two pairs of running shoes, sweaters, jackets, clothing, and for some strange reason, just one uniform shirt for 5 days.

As opposed to the guys who get in, have to quickly change and head to the nearest bar to drink all night and spend $60 bucks a night drinking? So whats wrong with the people that save money by bringing food, and exercising instead of drinking?

HA! Hilarious! I recently WALKED my bag from the jetbridge to HAND it to the rampers at the back of the plane, asked them to put it in the cargo bin - all with crew tags all over it - and guess what? It didn't get on! More recently, my FO's bag was on the jetbridge, and 3 different agents/rampers asked and were told this was a crew bag and it was going back on. Guess what? Someone took that bag off the jetbridge and put it on the aircraft parked at the next gate! I've had a flight attendant walk out on the ramp for the first flight of the day and put her bag on the cart. When we left, no bags on the cart......they put it in the back with all the other bags, right? Nope. Some genius grabbed it off the cart and sent it to baggage claim thinking it was left there OVERNIGHT!!!! Sorry, that plan still doesn't work, and I'm too busy on a 20 min turn to babysit bags!

Well, I am truly sorry that ASA has such a low expectation and tolerance of ineptitude in their ramp/gate employees. I am now in agreement with you! Put you bags in the cabin and let the paying pax have the lost bags. Again, please tell your management thanks for all the effort they put into the betterment of the fractional industry.

A side story, if you will, that goes nicely with yours. Airline in to OMA on ASA. Wait in the jetbridge for bag. All bags are gone and I am still there. Agent very forcefully explains to me that all the carryons are unloaded. I suggested that they were not. I was then informed that I had checked my bag and that it would be at baggage claim. I explained that it looked like the "real" pilots' bags and I had physically placed it on the cart in the rain in ATL. He mumbled something about baggage claim again. I went to the ticket counter downstairs and found a more than competent and way less methed out Frontier agent who gladly took my $20 to go look for and retrieve my bag from one of DL's Canadairs. He and I chuckled about it. I then got in a cab for the hotel, single bag for a 7 day with a clean shirt for every day and some play clothes;), in tow.

Well, I am truly sorry that ASA has such a low expectation and tolerance of ineptitude in their ramp/gate employees.

All of ASA's baggage handling in ATL is done by Delta. Additionally, OMA is handled by REAS- Regional Elite Air Services, another Delta-owned company. Unfortunately we don't have many ASA-handled stations left anymore; a shame, because many truly cared about delivering a quality product and service to ASA's customers, and took pride in the company they worked for.

I know they did. So did the many XJ and 9E and NW ramp and gate personnel over the years that endured the carnage of Hurricane Northwest. It is a shame what has happened to them and to the products that they were proud to be behind.

Latest resources

Back