• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Considers iPad EFBs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Jepps are absolutely available on an iPad. The issue becomes updating them every two weeks. Who will be responsible, when will they do it, how, etc..
Currently, EFBs are updated using a CD, or online, both of which will create issues.
Also, they have to be tethered to the airplane in some fashion or they are not legal.
As others have mentioned, EFBs have been talked about for years.. I doubt very seriously this will happen.

In a recent RGT speach by SH, HE brought up the fact that ASA was looking into replacing ALL the pubs with a iPad EFB. Said the bigest stumbling block was the battery and blocking the internet.... Seems like if they are down to those hurtles, that they are pretty far along in the process... Sure would be nice to carry that insted of the 40lb flight kit! Maybe this is their solution to the W&B problems with the CRJ!

I say BS on this story. I don't fly for ASA but I do for Skywest and nothing like this gets done unless Jerry approves of it and I say he never will. First of all, the iPad is so impractable for this type of operation and secondly, even at Skywest they held back on a real EFB, not some lame iPad because of money. So we're getting the Jepp Airside which is just 2 sets of Jepps in the airplane with a copy of the Ops Specs and SOP. This is what ASA will eventually get until the EFB get cheaper and then both airlines will have them and it's not going to be some crappy iPad.

Blocking the internet? Does ASA planes have internet?

When you hear BH actually say this; then maybe.

I say BS on this story. I don't fly for ASA but I do for Skywest and nothing like this gets done unless Jerry approves of it and I say he never will. First of all, the iPad is so impractable for this type of operation and secondly, even at Skywest they held back on a real EFB, not some lame iPad because of money. So we're getting the Jepp Airside which is just 2 sets of Jepps in the airplane with a copy of the Ops Specs and SOP. This is what ASA will eventually get until the EFB get cheaper and then both airlines will have them and it's not going to be some crappy iPad.

Blocking the internet? Does ASA planes have internet?

When you hear BH actually say this; then maybe.

The iPad thing may be BS, but SH talking about it in RGT is not. I agree it does not totally add up, but he did say they still had some obstacles to overcome.
Unless I was asleep & dreaming (a real possibility in RGT) this is what SH said!
Notice in the title, I did not say we were getting them for sure, just that ASA is considering them, which is true based on what SH said.

The iPad thing may be BS, but SH talking about it in RGT is not. I agree it does not totally add up, but he did say they still had some obstacles to overcome.
Unless I was asleep & dreaming (a real possibility in RGT) this is what SH said!
Notice in the title, I did not say we were getting them for sure, just that ASA is considering them, which is true based on what SH said.

How long have you been in this business? The word "considering" means absolutely nothing. He's got you guys salivating. Jerry keeps telling us they're "considering" the C-series. And then when the salivating stops they come out with a new "considering" thing. You guys hooked on the Kool-Aid too?

When SkyWest went after and got the STC for the EFB we were going after (can't remember the manufactuer), we were required to have not 1 but 2 standby seperate batteries just for the EFB power. That was in case there a total and absolute electrical failure in the CRJ, we all know that is rare, then the EFB would remain powered up right to the crash site.

The iPad probably is already certified as a class C EFB, the large Kindle already is.

I'd say the chances of seeing a Ipad in any SkyWest Inc. aircraft are right up there with having BigFoot (general lee's mom) for an FO.

So ya, there's a chance........

What you want to bet thay SH and his buddies up there in Atech sit back and watch how long it takes for things they make up in recurrent to make it to FI. I would if I were in his position....Something to kill time...

We are definitely getting them! I saw iPad box over at the G.O.

We are just waiting on all the other airplanes and pilots to get here. Wouldn't make sense to do it now...duh!

Latest resources

Back