• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Class Dates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of my buddies who's in training at ASA now, told me that he heard about a class for january, maybe 3rd week or last week.
that is just what he heard at training.
Myself, I interviewed beginning sept 05', got the proposition letter, they told me that my background check was clear and done....haven't heard anything since!!

Midnight,

You make some good points and your way is the way of the past, right or wrong, it is the past. How many 727's do you see flying around? Other than freighters there are none. In fact, that mainline aircraft you so wish to fly on (737NG, 757/767, 777, etc) are more automated than the RJ. We at least physically move the thrust levers to set power (no auto throttles). We initiate the decent ourselves, VNAV is advisory only. So if you want to fly on an aircraft that has more human intervention then you should ride on the RJ and not a mainline bird.

I'm not trying to knock you here and like I said you make some good points in that a foundation of fundamentals are important before you become a computer programmer, but at the same time automation is where it is at, not steam gauges. I personally like to hand fly through transition altitude, some don't and it is because of laziness more than anything. Also, sometimes the autopilot gives a better ride than some pilots I know and the PAX always appreciate that, I know, boxes don't bi*ch!

But calling someone a scab for taking the career path many have taken is simply wrong. We may not be the all mighty aviator who smoke 2 packs a day of non-filters, drink coffee like a fish, and has ice in their vanes but we are professional aviators nonetheless. Be bitter about RJ's flying those long legs as I agree, but don't knock someone for pursueing their dream. Times have changed.

Last edited:
Jeroom....thanks for the info. I'm thinking anything in January is going to be out of the picture. I mean, if they were going to run a class in January (especially in the 3rd week) they would have to put the calls out like today. Most people, me for one, need to put 2 weeks notice in with employers. But nonetheless, keep me informed if you hear more. Thanks!

A buddy of mine is in training at ASA right now too. He told me, a couple of weeks ago, that the entire training department had been rebuilt (or something to that effect) to gear up for a "big push" in early 2006. I don't see January happening, but why would they call us to see if we are still interested if it isn't coming soon? It would be waste of a phone call....right?

I hope you're right! I sure hope there is a "big push", but there wont be anything to push if ASA doesn't get their jet deliveries. I also had heard that they had hired on a bunch of instructors. Maybe thats part of the "beefing" up of the hiring department that you mentioned.

The fact that we are loosing an average of 3 pilots a week, I moved up 55 numbers in the last 6 months and with only 1800 pilots that is alot. We need to be hiring now to keep up with the bailing. But that is ASA for ya. We are fat now but in 2 months it'll be like this summer where everyone will get extended and junior manned and the newbies are waiting a month for IOE because the training department was so backed up. You think ASA would learn, oh well.

The "big push" is old news. It was cancelled and the Instructors asked to bid a line. There will be no airplane decisions until Delta's mediation (which includes scope issues) is decided. That decision is supposed to come down in March, unless something is agreed between ALPA and Delta earlier than that.

No class dates set for the first 3 months of 2006. I heard it directly from one of the "twins" in the training department. Thing is, I'm not sure if it was IL or JP I was talking to. ;)

No classes in first quarter...earliest could be sometime in EARLY TO LATE march...apparently they are waiting for the pilots/mgmt to work out the contract. I also heard they are about 100 FO's fat right now. If you are in the pool be prepared for a long swim.

Someone from training Dept. called me 2 days ago for an update on my flight time in the last 6 months, current address, if I was still in the loop for training. I think her name was Lisa...Asked her about classes, she had no clues to when will be the next one. March, april, may...she didn't know.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back