ASA Class Dates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Texx said:
Ok JB, I'll bite. What would you do if you were negotiating?

That is a 2 part answer Texx. I consider our contract negotiations to be just one battle in what has become a losing war. To answer your question, I would focus more on the war, and less on the battle. Our side, ALPA, must come up with a new "war plan".

1. Try to return to one group that flies for each brand with one bargaining agent on each property. Bidding in a competitive environment as independant contractors is not compatable with the concept of collective bargaining.

2. Work on seniority transportability. Other unions can transport their seniority, why can't we? This would increase the number of "NO" voters in these concessionary votes. Drawing a line in the sand is easier if you have a safety net.

3. Minimum ALPA contract standards. If the contract doesn't meet minimum standards, it doesn't get signed.

4. Stop creating even more alter-ego carriers thru "bad scope". Freedom, Republic, and Go-Jets were all created to get around "bad scope" language at the mainlines. This scope language, that arbitrarily limits aircraft based on seats, is harmful to both mainline and regional pilots, and actually creates more competition.

Until such time as we can actually reverse this trend on an industry basis, our current negotiations must focus on preserving what we currently have, and on not allowing more entrants to the portfolio.

Some of the best regional contracts once belonged to CMR, ALG, PDT, CCAIR, and ACA. In this environment, having a "trophy contract" only means you will have a target on your back. The XJT guys have that target on their back now, and management just fired their first shot.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back