• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Class Dates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
got the call from lisa this morning. sounds like something is gearing up, but probably to come to a screeching halt again. I interviewed in the last part of october

Yeah Lisa is great she is one of my personal friends. The 100 hours in six months is required, but it may be waved if you do not quite meet that requirment and you have been making a genuine effort to get those hours. I did not have the 100 hours but I explained how I had been laid off from my instructing job and had been right seating in a 135 operation and logging the 91 legs. I told them all this during my phone screening before my interview. They told me it may be a problem, but still interviewed me and I still got the job.

Good luck.

Kerveball said:
I know you all have probably seen this post a few times, but just wondering if anyone out there has any information about when ASA is going to run another class?
Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated. Here it is. I currently work as a CFI in Daytona Beach. I interviewed with ASA back on October 4th. I received the letter of conditional employment on October 26th saying they would contact me with a class date. 2 of my friends that interviewed only a week before me got called with the Nov.14th class date (the last one ASA ran). So I'm thinking I must be close to the top of the pool. Also, to add to the mix my fiance works as a controller at ATL Center, so I'm dying to be in the Atlanta area with her too! Now here is the hard part. I interviewed with Eagle a few weeks ago. I just got the call from them that everything had passed and I was offered Jan.23rd as a class date. I am on the younger side so I know I would probably get San Juan. So do I take Eagle and San Juan or do I hold out and keep swinging by a string waiting for ASA to call? My heart is telling me to wait for ASA for the location but my mind is telling me to take Eagle to get my career going. HELP! Anybody?

Don't take it.
You guys are reinforcing the fact that pilots are willing to work for next to nothing. I know you're all excited right now about your first flying job, but I give you a month or two, and you'll start bitchin' about the pay and $hitty QOL. I don't know if you've been keeping up with things, but the goal of the airlines is to have regional pilots keep stealing the legacy's pilot's routes and put rj's on them and pay the pilots $hit wages. Eventually, a widebody pilot will be making what an RJ pilot makes and that is sickening. So as long as you and all your cohorts down at the local flight school keep taking these regional jobs, this industry will continue to go down the toilet.

Yeah don't take it. Instead you should go for a industry leading regional like Comair, CoEx, or Horizon... Or wait I get it... You should flight instruct along with all your friends for five years. Once the pool of pilots runs out you will be able to go straight to mainline.
I know when I was a CFI I waited for just the right opportunity and made sure I chose a regional that didn't undercut anyone.

Kerveball said:
Just got the call from Lisa in recruitment. I asked her what she has heard about class dates because I want to hear it "right from the horses mouth".

Lisa is a horse?

Crash Pad said:
Yeah don't take it. Instead you should go for a industry leading regional like Comair, CoEx, or Horizon... Or wait I get it... You should flight instruct along with all your friends for five years. Once the pool of pilots runs out you will be able to go straight to mainline.
I know when I was a CFI I waited for just the right opportunity and made sure I chose a regional that didn't undercut anyone.

I know this has been covered at length on this site, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one definition of a scab "a person who takes the job of another by doing it for less?"
So wouldn't the pilots who fly rj's on routes that were once mainline with "real" airline class airplanes be scabs?

The last time I rode on a barbie jet as a pax, I got a cramp in my a$$.
Tomorrow I have to ride in one again for over 1000mn and I'm not looking forward to that. 3 years ago, that same route was on a B737
RJ's are not airliners and pretty soon the public is going to have enough of riding across the country in overcramped business jets.

Midnight Flyer said:
I know this has been covered at length on this site, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one definition of a scab "a person who takes the job of another by doing it for less?"
So wouldn't the pilots who fly rj's on routes that were once mainline with "real" airline class airplanes be scabs?

The last time I rode on a barbie jet as a pax, I got a cramp in my a$$.
Tomorrow I have to ride in one again for over 1000mn and I'm not looking forward to that. 3 years ago, that same route was on a B737
RJ's are not airliners and pretty soon the public is going to have enough of riding across the country in overcramped business jets.

So, tell us now if you were a CFI today with those 1000 hrs in your logbook, looking out for a job in the airline industry. What would you do? Where would you go?
Tell us.

jeroom said:
So, tell us now if you were a CFI today with those 1000 hrs in your logbook, looking out for a job in the airline industry. What would you do? Where would you go?
Tell us.

Keep on working as an instructor, then go to a 135 freight type job where you will gain some "real experience".
I did 135 freight, then ferried aircraft for a long time, also did some pipeline work. Trust me, flying single pilot in an aircraft that you have to hand fly with analog instruments will give you tons of experience. These kids getting hired right into an RJ at 600 hours is downright dangerous. I know that's also been covered in another thread, so I won't ramble on about that.

My first airline flying job was right into a 727. That's how I would do it. Where would I go? Go to a place like Custom Air (CAT-727's) You'll work your a$$ off, but you'll get paid alot better than the regionals and get to fly a real plane.

Latest resources

Back